Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    18,878

    Other decision that must be made.

    The focus here and elsewhere has been on SS. However there are other decisions that need attention.

    Hicks appears to be the pick in LF, although Calhoun and Ortega have made it a tough decision. Wouldn't surprise me if Calhoun gets the nod. Who is Bader's replacement? Ortega, Florial or a possible trade as the 4th?

    Kahnle and Trivino injuries may have created an opportunity for Abreu, Weissert and Cordero to all make the team or do they carry a second lefty in Krook?
    Last edited by drt1010; 03-24-2023 at 11:13 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey/Delaware/PA
    Posts
    3,503
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    The focus here and elsewhere has been on SS. However there are other decisions that need attention.

    Hicks appears to be the pick in LF, although Calhoun and Ortega have made it a tough decision. Wouldn't surprise me if Calhoun gets the nod. Who is Bader's replacement? Ortega, Florial or a possible trade as the 4th?

    Kahnle and Trivino injuries may have created an opportunity for Abreu, Weissert and Cordero to all make the team or do they carry a second lefty in Krook?
    Hicks will be in the lineup until Bader comes back, IMO. If it's me as the GM though, I'm going with Calhoun in LF and Florial in center. If Florial continues to look lost at the plate until Bader comes back, DFA him. If he earns his spot, DFA whoever is performing worse out of Hicks and Calhoun. Calhoun very well might be this year's version of Marwin Gonzalez though, so I'm still not convinced their playoff LF is currently on this team.

    As for relievers, I think you have to keep Abreu. He looks better this year so far and he also has no options. Between Krook, Weissert, and Cordero I don't have a strong preference. Cordero's velocity is tantalizing but he also has had some missteps in Spring Training. Weissert hasn't been that strong in ST either. Krook has probably been the most consistent of the three, but not so dominant that he has made the decision for them. Ian Hamilton and James Norwood are also dark horse candidates. I would strongly consider them given how good they have looked in ST.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    48,415
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoba Rama View Post
    Hicks will be in the lineup until Bader comes back, IMO. If it's me as the GM though, I'm going with Calhoun in LF and Florial in center. If Florial continues to look lost at the plate until Bader comes back, DFA him. If he earns his spot, DFA whoever is performing worse out of Hicks and Calhoun. Calhoun very well might be this year's version of Marwin Gonzalez though, so I'm still not convinced their playoff LF is currently on this team.

    As for relievers, I think you have to keep Abreu. He looks better this year so far and he also has no options. Between Krook, Weissert, and Cordero I don't have a strong preference. Cordero's velocity is tantalizing but he also has had some missteps in Spring Training. Weissert hasn't been that strong in ST either. Krook has probably been the most consistent of the three, but not so dominant that he has made the decision for them. Ian Hamilton and James Norwood are also dark horse candidates. I would strongly consider them given how good they have looked in ST.
    The bolded... oh the irony

    I agree with everything you said regarding the OF. I would love to see that happen.

    OF course I mean, Hicks DFA'd!


    Whoever is playing the best should play.



    Ignorance is bliss

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    39,828
    Hicks doesn't deserve to be on this team. He should have been let go a long time ago. The fact that he's still here is just sad. Might be the first time I've ever rooted for a player to do absolutely nothing productive to help the team bc I want him gone yesterday.

    Trash player, trash teammate, trash attitude. Fk everything about him.

    Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    48,415
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Hicks doesn't deserve to be on this team. He should have been let go a long time ago. The fact that he's still here is just sad. Might be the first time I've ever rooted for a player to do absolutely nothing productive to help the team bc I want him gone yesterday.

    Trash player, trash teammate, trash attitude. Fk everything about him.

    Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    I can't say I disagree.

    But if he plays decently, they could maybe move him



    Ignorance is bliss

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    36,244
    I think Hicks will be gone next year. Heís got 3 years left right now. Not to go full math major on people, but next year heíll have 2. As much as we hate him, I think teams could convince themselves to take a flier on him with 2 years if we pay him down a little bit. 3 years is tough though. I donít see anyone wanting to commit any payroll to him 3 years out and with a big question mark at his spot it doesnít make sense for us to just eat that full amount.

    If he continues to suck I can see is trading him next year to shed like half the money. If heís good, we can shed all of it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    39,828
    They should just DFA him. It's only roughly $30M. They ate that kind of cash to unload Jake and Arod but won't for Hicks? Fkn dumb.

    Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    36,244
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    They should just DFA him. It's only roughly $30M. They ate that kind of cash to unload Jake and Arod but won't for Hicks? Fkn dumb.

    Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    I think itís about the years though. Because when you DFA him, thereís now $10M dead money on your payroll in 2024 and 2025 and thereís nothing you can ever do about it. Youíll never be able to get any team to take on any portion no matter how little you want to offload or what prospect youíre willing to attach.

    With ARod, he was never accepting any trade anywhere and they wanted to free up playing time for Sanchez while McCann was still here. Ellsbury was a much bigger contract and I believe they thought they could get out of it with insurance.

    With Hicks now, the salary isnít prohibitive to bench him. We arenít exactly flush with outfielders. And you still keep flexibility to shed some of the money down the line.

    Itís a tough pill to swallow to just burden the 2025 payroll with $10M you canít get rid of. Hicksí salary is small enough that theyíll definitely be able to shed that if they ride it out and need the payroll space by then.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    48,415
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    I think itís about the years though. Because when you DFA him, thereís now $10M dead money on your payroll in 2024 and 2025 and thereís nothing you can ever do about it. Youíll never be able to get any team to take on any portion no matter how little you want to offload or what prospect youíre willing to attach.

    With ARod, he was never accepting any trade anywhere and they wanted to free up playing time for Sanchez while McCann was still here. Ellsbury was a much bigger contract and I believe they thought they could get out of it with insurance.

    With Hicks now, the salary isnít prohibitive to bench him. We arenít exactly flush with outfielders. And you still keep flexibility to shed some of the money down the line.

    Itís a tough pill to swallow to just burden the 2025 payroll with $10M you canít get rid of. Hicksí salary is small enough that theyíll definitely be able to shed that if they ride it out and need the payroll space by then.
    I agree. I have zero like for Hicks. I don't like anything about his game or his personality but with the shape of the OF, I doubt he goes anywhere.
    I think if he hits 250+ with an obp of 330+ and an OPS of 700, he will help the team.
    I presume if he does in fact play like that, he will immediately get injured.

    Sadly, he needs to play well to get any trade, value but if he does play well, they will celebrate that they are keeping him and fans will have, "We knew the type of player he was", ringing in our ears from Cashman, Boone and Hicks, himself.



    Ignorance is bliss

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cranford, NJ
    Posts
    9,583
    Bader is out with a left oblique strain. He'll probably miss the entire month of April if not longer. There's no harm in not DFAing Hicks until he returns. In the meantime, you try to trade him. Of course, if it means that another player like Florial is cut, then you could go with Florial and cut Hicks.

    The team really needs an end of Spring Training trade to clear some spots. How about a trade for Corbin Burns?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    9,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I agree. I have zero like for Hicks. I don't like anything about his game or his personality but with the shape of the OF, I doubt he goes anywhere.
    I think if he hits 250+ with an obp of 330+ and an OPS of 700, he will help the team.
    I presume if he does in fact play like that, he will immediately get injured.

    Sadly, he needs to play well to get any trade, value but if he does play well, they will celebrate that they are keeping him and fans will have, "We knew the type of player he was", ringing in our ears from Cashman, Boone and Hicks, himself.
    We need Hicks on this team as long as possible, so he can mentor guys like Dom, Jones, Pereira and Cabrera so they can better emulate his warrior style of play.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    48,415
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    We need Hicks on this team as long as possible, so he can mentor guys like Dom, Jones, Pereira and Cabrera so they can better emulate his warrior style of play.
    Hicks mentoring youth is like having an extremely spoiled, entitled, whiny brat, teach slightly younger kids how to get all the toys they want and never take any blame for their bad behavior



    Ignorance is bliss

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •