Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Scott Rolen, Hall of Fame

Congratulations to Scott Rolen on being elected to the Hall of Fame. He is the player with the lowest initial vote to be elected by the writers.
    Todd Helton just missed this year, as did Billy Wagner. Jeff Kent drops off the ballot after 10 years.
    Carlos Beltran came in below 50%.

Rolen is meh. Kent should be in and so should wagner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was a defensive god and its well deserved. Him and bobby abreu were hated by philly fans yet ended up better than rollins and way better than howard. I will never ever forget rolens 2 home run game psot 9/11. I love scott rolen

Congrats to Scott.
    IMO, he should have had more company go with him
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, crovash, nastynice, natepro, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    Congratulations to Scott Rolen on being elected to the Hall of Fame. He is the player with the lowest initial vote to be elected by the writers.
    Todd Helton just missed this year, as did Billy Wagner. Jeff Kent drops off the ballot after 10 years.
    Carlos Beltran came in below 50%.
    Which is another way of saying the writers had to talk themselves into voting Rolen in the HOF. You need 75% of the votes, Rolen got 76ish. When you have to talk yourself into believe a player is a HOFer, then that player is probably not a HOFer.

I've always felt the HOF requirement was too loose. The requirement should be 3 years on the ballot or 85% of the vote. There are too many GOOD but not GREAT players in the HOF and that list includes Scott Rolen.
    Screw sabermetics.

His % was low because too many voters are still focused on traditional cumulative stats. 70 WAR is a bonafide HOF player.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

A guy that was 20% above average at the plate and is seen as the best fielding 3b of all time, yep, that is an easy entrance into the Hall
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, crovash, nastynice, natepro, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

Glad he got in. Fully deserved.

During his peak from 1997-2004, eight seasons, he had the highest WAR, second highest wOBA and wRC+, fourth highest ISO, third highest DRS, and second highest UZR/150 among third baseman.

It's sad that the hall of fame is nothing more than a popularity contest. Until Bonds, Clemens, Arod, Mcgwire, Sosa etc get in, the HoF will remain a joke.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    It's sad that the hall of fame is nothing more than a popularity contest. Until Bonds, Clemens, Arod, Mcgwire, Sosa etc get in, the HoF will remain a joke.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Facts

In a sport that's 100+ years old, it's pretty amazing to be in the top 10 in anything. Scott Rolen is top 10 in more than 1 category for 3rd baseman (out of 1000s of 3rd baseman).

It's deserving.

Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan555 View Post
    In a sport that's 100+ years old, it's pretty amazing to be in the top 10 in anything. Scott Rolen is top 10 in more than 1 category for 3rd baseman (out of 1000s of 3rd baseman).

It's deserving.
    truth

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    Glad he got in. Fully deserved.

During his peak from 1997-2004, eight seasons, he had the highest WAR, second highest wOBA and wRC+, fourth highest ISO, third highest DRS, and second highest UZR/150 among third baseman.
    I think he deserves to be there, but I never felt he was one of the best players in the league. Glad two former Jays get to go in together this year.