Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

January 2023 Thread

Tough loss as we could have jumped NJ for 2nd in the division.

I get it, Harpur has played OK, let’s not get all ecstatic about his play, it’s been OK, he shows his lack of speed when it comes to playing against fast paced team—like yesterdays game against NJ. He’s the 7th defenseman on our team, a guy you put in when playing heavy/physical teams to get that extra size but he should NOT be in the line-up against fast teams. Again we need a LHD. When is Drury gonna address this!

The Rangers have claimed Jake Leschyshyn off waivers. Many saw/see it as a Very perculiar pickup. Everyone on the net is wondering why. I think the most obvious reason—AND NOBODY is saying it, is that he will be replacing Blias as the 13th forward. Look, basically Blias and Leschyshyn are a wash, neither has done enough to justify being more than just a spare piece—The 13th guy is not gonna play much. What we are doing is saving cap space by switching out Blias for Leschyshyn. Blias’ cap hit is $1.525 mil. & he is a RFA at years end so who knows what it would cost to bring him back or if we even want to bring him back. Leschyshyn’s cap hit is $767,667 which means by replacing Blias with Leschyshyn we have $757,333 more of cap room. Leschyshyn also has 2 more year left on his contract. We should be able to get a 4th or 5th Rd pick for Blais, so that’s another plus. And Leschyshyn can play all 3 forward positions—with a 48% face-off win percentage in 63 NHL games, so that’s another plus as well.

On a side note: Patrick Kane was place on IR, reports are he may be having his knee cleaned out. so there is now a question of how healthy he’ll be come trade deadline time or even the remainder of the season.
    Last edited by Mr.Wiskers; 01-12-2023 at 09:05 PM.

No word on Gauthier as of yet—didn’t returned to the game after he collided with Blais last night.

NHLrumors.com’s Mark Easson posted an article titled NHL Rumors:The New York Rangers could use a Patrick Kane or Vladimir Tarasenko. It’s a transcription of the NHL Networks EJ Hradek, Mike Johnson and Stu Grimson discussing the Rangers. It’s a must read.

Which brings us to the question: Who should we go after Kane or Tarasenko? And what do you think it would take to get a deal done?

Looking around the net. Anthony Scultore of ForeverBlueshirts has an article titled: How should the New York Rangers approach the trade deadline. Interesting read.

Kreider skated but didn’t practice, doesn’t really mean anything as he hurt his shoulder and not his leg. Gauthier was NOT at practice. Gallant has already said Leschyshyn will be in the line-up regardless of any injury, and he will be at Center. Gallant also said Leschyshyn is a character guy who can play on the PK and he good on the face-offs.
    Last edited by Mr.Wiskers; 01-14-2023 at 07:04 PM.

I don’t see them paying up for one of those expensive possible rental types

I wanted you guys to read those articles before I gave my rebuttal on their opinions. As far as the EJ Hradek, Stu Grimson, Mike Johnson discussion goes, while it’s nice to talk what if on big name players, we/they need to come to the reality that it’s NOT gonna happen. First off, from our end, there’s no way Drury commits career suicide by trading Lafraniere, Kakko OR Othmann for a rental. The only way any of those guys gets traded is if it’s youth for youth—ala a deal that I’ve mentioned countlessly before, Lafraniere to Montreal for Guhle, Josh Anderson and a 1st Rd pick. You guys think it’s way too much of a get from Montreal ?, I don’t think so, once we make it known that we are open to trading him, teams will jump and it WILL become a bidding war, what with Emilie Castonguay, his former agent being in Vancouvers Management, JD in Columbus & Gorton in Montreal being involved in drafting him. But I think with what Martin St.Louis has been able to do with Caufield, Dach & the way he’s bringing Slafkovsky along slowly, Gorton knows he’d be a hero for bringing home a hometown kid in Lafraniere. From our standpoint we’d solve our LHD need with a big young fast player who’s still on his rookie contract—which would also help us with the cap room we are gonna need to re-sign our guys. We also get a 1st Rd pick, which is currently sitting at 10th overall—-in a talent latent draft and a big physical RW with some speed who will drop the gloves and 4 yrs remaining at a $5.5 mil. cap. Getting back to Kane, I don’t see him or Toews going anywhere. They have spent their whole career in Chicago, yes Chicago is in what they call a “rebuild” but when you look at both players, who are 34 yrs of age will more than likely Re-sign with Chicago at something along the lines of $6-$6.5 mil. per giving Chicago an extra $8-9 mil. to spend on a star player. Now, getting back to Tarasenko, St.Louis is still in it, they are 5 points out and that’s with Krug, O’Rielly, Tarasenko, Scandella & Bortuzzo ALL injured, once they get back they should be back on track, but should it come to it, I can’t see Drury being dumb enough to let Doug Armstrong beat him in another trade, Tarasenko has an extensive injury history AND a no trade clause so I can’t see it costing us more than a Zach Jones, Mathew Robertson type prospect and a 2nd Rd pick, maybe a 4th Rd pick as well to get it done.

As far as Anthony Scultore’s article goes: I already said my peace on Tarasenko, NO he is not worth Kravtsov & a 1st Rd pick, at least not to me. I do agree with his choice of Kulikov for a 3rd, considering we gave up a 3rd Rd pick for Braun last year, I’d d make that deal if I can’t get a younger cheaper option. As far as Tyler Motte for Gauthier & a 6th Rd pick, NO—Motte is not an improvement over Gauthier. While Motte is listed as a Center his face-off win percentage is atrocious, he’s not as big or as fast as Gauthier. We have our fill of bottom 6 guys.
    Last edited by Mr.Wiskers; 01-17-2023 at 12:31 AM.

Who cares about Lafreniere. He isn’t even good. He has no real skills or attributes that make me understand why he was so hyped.

I get it, there is frustration from the fan base because Lafraniere is not producing the way other 1st overall draft picks are but it’s like I said before look at players like Stutzle & Hughes, and the amount of ice time they are getting as opposed to Lafraniere and the amount of PP time they get—they are put in situations to succeed. Other teams see that and their mouths just water with the idea of what they can do with him/ what he can do with the extra ice time, under a different system, under a different coach. And that’s why I think we can/will get top value return him.

My next topic/point is who we can get to improve our team for the play-off run. A name, a player that comes to mind is Nick Bjustrad. He’s on a 1 year deal at $900k. He’s 6’6” 215lb. Righthanded Center with a 46.2% face-off win percentage, in 43 games this year he has 10 goals, 8 assist and 19 pts with 89 hits. He plays on the PK. And most importantly, he played for Gallant and with Trocheck in Florida. I can’t see it costing more than a 4th Rd pick to acquire Bjustrad ( it’s what we gave up to get Vatrano last yearfor our play-off run unless we are talking blockbuster. Would Drury look to Jakob Chychrun to solve our LHD problem. At a cap hit of $4.6 mil for 2 more years after this one and 22pts in 27 games including 37 hits and playing top pair minutes, 22:52 minutes per game. He’d be a huge add to our defense but with Lindgren cemented to Fox and Miller haven already improved his numbers from last year in half the games and being due for his bridge deal, I think Chychrun would be more of a luxury than necessity in that what we’d give up to get him. Arizona is looking for 2-1st Rd draft picks & a top prospects.

Another player I’d look at would be Kulikov, he’s on the last year of his deal so he’d only be a rental. He’s 6’1” 204 lbs., has been playing 20 minutes a game in Anaheim. In 44 games he has 2 goals, 7 assists for 9 pts and 69 hits. He plays on Anaheim’s PK and is another player who played for Gallant in Florida so the familiarity like with Bjustrad with Gallants system is there. I would say the cost to acquire him would be a middling draft pick, something along the lines of a 4th or 5th Rd pick.
    Last edited by Mr.Wiskers; 01-19-2023 at 10:05 PM.

Latest rumors have us looking at Timo Meier, can’t see that happening as he has a cap hit of $8 mil. and an actual salary of $10 mil., he’s a RFA with a qualifying offer of $10 mil. for next year and it would take a top prospect, a middling prospect and a 1st Rd pick( Anthony Scultore mentions Lafraniere, Zac Jones or Mathew Robertson plus a 1st Rd pick as the package) way too much for a rental—-I say that because we are up against the cap and need to re-sign key players. It’s just not possible, looks like reporters just writing stories or maybe, MAYBE we are trying to get a different player and are trying to get THAT team to drop the asking price on THAT player.

A New name to add to the list are Ivan Barbashev. Interesting name in that his brother Maxim was just drafted by us this year. Ivan is 27 yrs old and has a $ 2.25 mil. cap hit. He’s a physical player (638 hits in 396 career games) but there’s not much else unless you consider last years numbers to be a breakout year and thus a late bloomer at 26 yrs of age—81 games 26 goals, 34 assist for 60 pts. This year he’s at 45 games 6 goals and 14 assist for 20 pts. Seems like a bottom 6 player—of course it all depends on the cost to acquire him. NOTE: he plays ALL 3 forward positions.
    Last edited by Mr.Wiskers; 01-19-2023 at 06:42 PM.

Anthony Scultore of ForeverBlueshirts has an article regarding an interview with Rupp. Where Rupp basically says he prefers Tarasenko, thinks Tarasenko would be the best option for the Rangers. He says “sign me up” for a line of Panarin-Trocheck-Tarasenko. He makes it pretty clear how he/Rupp thinks Rangers need size and physicality and Tarasenko would give us/the Rangers just that. Rupp says he ran into Tarasenko in Nashville a couple of years back and he/Tarasenko is big like 235 lbs. Again Tarasenko has a full no-move clause two he can pick where he wants to go, and again the rumor continues to be Kravtsov and a 1st Rd pick.

Bluelinestation/Conor Power brings up Nick Ritchie as a player to watch for the Rangers. 6’2” 230lbs. 41 games played this yr 8 goals and 10 assists for 18 pts along with 118 hits. Fits that bill of a physical bottom six/depth player that we will need for the play-offs. Conor also throws out there that Columbus is looking for a 1st Rd pick and a middle Rd pick for Gavrikov.
    Last edited by Mr.Wiskers; 01-19-2023 at 09:02 PM.

I’d gladly take Tarasenko

We have placed Brodzinski on waivers now that Gauthier is ready to come off of the IR. The net is abuzz as everyone and I mean EVERYONE what’s to know why Brodzinski and not Blais.

Brodzinski cleared waivers and even scored a goal for Hartford.
    Lines for today against Florida are:
    Panarin—Zibenajad—Kreider
    Lafraniere—Chytil—Kakko
    Kravtsov—Leschyshyn—Gauthier

TheHockeywriters Michael DeRosa has us as 1 of 4 teams who’ve inquired about Max Domi. What would a trade look like? Here an excerpt from the article:
    “ Along with their 2023 second-round pick, the Rangers would likely need to include a prospect like Matthew Robertson in the deal. The 6-foot-4 defenseman would certainly be a big addition to the Blackhawks’ lineup, as he has all of the tools to emerge as a strong shutdown defenseman at the NHL level in the near future. With his immense physicality, he also has been praised for his excellent puck-moving ability, so he could be a great pickup for a rebuilding team like the Blackhawks.”
    Last edited by Mr.Wiskers; 01-23-2023 at 10:14 PM.

Todays news, and granted this is after a 6-2 win over Florida, Sammy Blais was sent to Hartford on a conditioning stint, per CBA Blais can only be sent on a conditioning stint for NO longer than 2 weeks. The corresponding move was bringing up Wil Cuylle. Cuylle was already at practice and was used on the 4th line, switching off with Kravtsov and Gallant said after practice that Cuylle who’s a Toronto native will be making his NHL debut in Toronto. So it’s safe to say the Kravtsov will be scratched. Whom Gallant made a point of saying is NOT a 4th line player, he’s a top 9 but needs to score more and needs to finish his checks and “stuff like that”—whatever that means.

While I hate that once again Gallant is benching Kravtsov, I am hopeful that Cuylle gets a shot. I’d like to see if he can make the most of this opportunity. And hopefully this isn’t us showcasing him for another team. We are up against the cap and need to sign Miller, Chytil, Lafraniere & Kravtsov. So we are gonna need players on entry level deals to balance our cap out.
    Last edited by Mr.Wiskers; 01-25-2023 at 01:25 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast