Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Cap hit is $31mill if heís traded/plays.

Yea, trading Rodgers right now is the most beneficial thing for the cap. His contract is structured so differently that it only gets worse from here. Trade or retirement this year are the best case scenarios for us. Problem is at his age, he holds all the cards in a trade scenario. He can threaten to retire if we trade him so no one will trade for him and then just refuse to retire until we trade him. So ideally there's a place he'd like to go that we can work out a trade, because cutting him isn't an option, only trade or retirement. They both hurt the cap, but no nearly as much.

And I agree, it's time for a reset. I think there's some decent young talent on the team that it doesn't need to be a complete tear down, but we should just take a year and try to get our cap situation under control. Trade Rodgers, cut or trade guys like Bak, Preston and maybe even Aaron Jones. Let guys like Amos, Lazard and Cobb walk and really focus on staying young. Part of the problem is we've structured the cap so that everyone's cap hit was pushed way out, so let's start cutting some of those vets and just eat the dead cap all in one year. Might mean another mediocre season next year, but that will let us see who Love is and possibly free up a little space to spend money the following off-season on top of hopefully another decent draft pick.

Still think keeping Rodgers was the right move. In hindsight it's easy to say now they should have dealt him to Denver for a treasure trove of picks. But I get the reason they wanted to give it one more try. But this year it's obvious we don't have it. Rodgers is still very good, but he's not longer consistently elite. There's not enough talent on the team to make up for that. Add in his salary for the last few years plus future cap hits and there's no way to improve other than the draft, which rarely results in a ton of immediate help. There's some young guys who can improve, but it's highly unlikely this team will be better next year with 12 than it was this year. We lost a really good player in Gary, but for the most part we were fairly healthy. That likely won't repeat itself. The window is closed.

Canít trade him till after June 1 so if thatís the golden ticket hang on for the drama.

Idk if trading him is the best thing but I do know we need to change our mentality. Every win is important. Every loss hurts. ****ing sitting back and saying we want to control our destiny and then **** the bed when we do is an all time bone head move. Thatís why heís not in Bradyís territory for greatest all time. He has no killer instinct. Pisses me off.

If we could get a late 1st or early second for Love and Rodgers wants to come back Iím game for that too. Not fair for Love to sit around waiting.

We can be real good next year. More time with these young WR and Gary should be back within the first few games.

Restructure Bahk and a lot of the other guys contracts and roll the dice again.

The 22 draft honestly looks pretty dang good. Stack another draft on them and letís roll

You can absolutely trade him before June 1st. And if you're going to trade him, you trade him ASAP when the new league year starts. His contract is structured in a way that he gets a roster bonus on one of the first few days of the new year. So yud be incurring extra dead cap, even if it's split between this year and next, if you were forced to pick up that option and then trade him.

Trading him before june 1st gives you a big dead cap hit that will hurt this year but it gets you out from under it and there's some restructures you can do to ease some of that burden. If they move him, I hope it's before June 1st (that also means we'd get a pick this year insyead if next, which is valuable.)

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    You can absolutely trade him before June 1st. And if you're going to trade him, you trade him ASAP when the new league year starts. His contract is structured in a way that he gets a roster bonus on one of the first few days of the new year. So yud be incurring extra dead cap, even if it's split between this year and next, if you were forced to pick up that option and then trade him.

Trading him before june 1st gives you a big dead cap hit that will hurt this year but it gets you out from under it and there's some restructures you can do to ease some of that burden. If they move him, I hope it's before June 1st (that also means we'd get a pick this year insyead if next, which is valuable.)
    I guess I shouldnít have said canít. They can for sure but in my opinion if they trade Rodgers itís to put some better pieces around Love and the defense so trading after June 1 with some restructures could make room for say another pass rusher or TE Ö etc etc

If Rodgers plays his hit is 31mil. If traded before June 1 itís 40mill and after itís split 15/24mill and some change.

My thought was they wouldnít get enough picks to justify the extra 9mill cap hit.

IMO you wonít get two firsts for Rodgers. Maybe a late first and a second plus some filler.

But you don't really make room for additional guys. The Packers always back load contracts meaning a cheap year 1 and slowly raising after that. If you're pushing a bunch of dead cap into next year, you don't really open much up.

Love is cheap next year. If you think we can legit win a ring with love at QB next year, then maybe we do a post June 1st trade. But if not, it makes way more sense to absorb the cap when love is cheap and look to potentially be active on next year's market, not this year's.

To me, if we trade Rodgers, the goal next year is to clear some of the cap hell we've put ourselves in by eating as much dead money as we can stomach and figuring out who on this team is part of our core. I'm open to keeping guys lien Jones and Bak around for Love's development, but I also don't hate moving on from them too. They aren't super likely to be part of our next competitive team. So let's clear them and see what Dillon, Tom and Yosh can do.

I think we are a playoff potential team next year with love or Rodgers. We almost were this year. If Rodgers sits and lets Love play when he broke his thumb I could easily see us win one more potentially.

A healthy Rodgers also couldíve won one more game at least.

Add in some draft talent and keeping most of the guys elsewhere and itís ripe for the taking.

Also letís be honest. Love is cheap next year but Love is probably pretty cheap after that unless he just absolutely dominates which if he does is still great for us. Love will still be a cheap starter going forward

I actually don't think he'll be all that cheap. QB is a crapshoot around the league. Someone will pay love. It may not be a huge guarantee, but if he shows any signs of life, he'll get some money. Hes not gonna make mahomes money, but he's a good year away from making close to what some are saying Daniel Jones may get now.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I actually don't think he'll be all that cheap. QB is a crapshoot around the league. Someone will pay love. It may not be a huge guarantee, but if he shows any signs of life, he'll get some money. Hes not gonna make mahomes money, but he's a good year away from making close to what some are saying Daniel Jones may get now.
    I agree Love and Rodgers would have been similar records. Rodgers stunk this year. I know he was hurt but still. Then sit. Love 5th year option will be like 19 mill I believe. So he wont be cheap after next year. I think it's as simple as do the Packers think AR when healthy is closer to his MVP years or was last year a sign of him being closer to toast. If he is expected to be more like 2022 than MVP I think the Pack will/should move on with Love.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12