Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Boston to Allow 16 year olds to vote

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    It won't pass.

even as a liberal, no way this should pass. While we can argue where to draw a line in the sand on child versus adult, this is just too young to me. Hell some states don't even allow you to have a DL at 16.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Given that most 3 year-olds (much less 16 year-olds) are more intellectually qualified to vote than Trump supporters, I don’t see why not.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    even as a liberal, no way this should pass. While we can argue where to draw a line in the sand on child versus adult, this is just too young to me. Hell some states don't even allow you to have a DL at 16.
    Most every state except New Jersey allows at least a restricted license at 16.

But also, we allow 16 year olds to have jobs, and if you're going to do that and tax their earnings just as you do with everyone else, why shouldn't they also get to vote?

More than that, though, if you can get people in the habit of voting earlier, maybe we can do something about the participation of more young people. We're also talking about voting for or against things that will be effecting them, if not right then, in the very near future.

I don't really think we can argue that they're significantly less informed about things than people that think Hillary had a body double or JFK Jr was coming back to save us all or any of the other bizarre conspiracies that far too many people buy into.

"It is a grotesque parody of the bazaar at Marrakech, as if dumb animals had been granted only the amount of sentience required to mock humanity."

16-year-old brats have no business voting. It should have stayed at 21 like the way it originally was. You need a few years of post-high school seasoning in the real world to have a clear conscience to know what you are voting for.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward (14) Fernando (shrunken) Testis Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post

16-year-old brats have no business voting. It should have stayed at 21 like the way it originally was. You need a few years of post-high school seasoning in the real world to have a clear conscience to know what you are voting for.
    How many people do you think actually know what they're voting for? Especially in local elections?

"It is a grotesque parody of the bazaar at Marrakech, as if dumb animals had been granted only the amount of sentience required to mock humanity."

I was with you about the 16 year olds not being able to vote but not the part about calling them brats or the rest of it. Unless you’re prepared to say 18-20 shouldn’t be allowed to go war, they should be able to vote.

To be fair, we do have some evidence to suggest that humans reach certain intellectual milestones at certain ages, but I'm sure we can find some 16 and 17 year olds who are far more intelligent than some boomers who think their long existence on earth gives them more intelligence.

In any case, I agree most with the point of taxation. If you can tax them, they should vote. Otherwise it's exploitation of child labor.

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I was with you about the 16 year olds not being able to vote but not the part about calling them brats or the rest of it. Unless you’re prepared to say 18-20 shouldn’t be allowed to go war, they should be able to vote.
    I think that should be 21 too.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward (14) Fernando (shrunken) Testis Jr.

Spliff being a *ucktard as usual.

Future Hall of Shamers:

Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    Most every state except New Jersey allows at least a restricted license at 16.

But also, we allow 16 year olds to have jobs, and if you're going to do that and tax their earnings just as you do with everyone else, why shouldn't they also get to vote?

More than that, though, if you can get people in the habit of voting earlier, maybe we can do something about the participation of more young people. We're also talking about voting for or against things that will be effecting them, if not right then, in the very near future.

I don't really think we can argue that they're significantly less informed about things than people that think Hillary had a body double or JFK Jr was coming back to save us all or any of the other bizarre conspiracies that far too many people buy into.
    Like I stated above, we set an arbitrary age limit for most everything, which we are conditioned to believe is the correct cut-off point, right? Obviously every PERSON is different.

I only mean, and I am thinking of myself at 16, what the hell did I know tucked into my parents house while in high school? I just wanted to see Julie Deters boobs, I barely knew who the controlling party in the House was...

Alternatively, if we are going to allow republicans to continue to restrict voting, essentially disrupting the integrity of the voting process, why not add a few million voters that will pull the Democratic lever 80% of the time...

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

**** no. 18 you can go to war, go to jail, and you can vote.

Should we eliminate voting for over age 70, unless they are working still? I mean they are removed from society, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    **** no. 18 you can go to war, go to jail, and you can vote.

Should we eliminate voting for over age 70, unless they are working still? I mean they are removed from society, right?
    65 if we're talking about the prescribed retirement age in this country....

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast