Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Phillies sign Trea Turner - 11 years, $300M

As expected, at least in terms of destination.

Seems like the same logic behind this contract as the Harper one: more years to bring the AAV down a bit. Having said that, I like the odds of Harper's contract working out well for them much more so than this one.

damn... i was told we werent getting him by a certain dodger fan last season. I was also told the dodgers and braves would smash us in the post season and the phillies wouldnt get out of the first round. Damn. Great signing and low AAV

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    damn... i was told we werent getting him by a certain dodger fan last season. I was also told the dodgers and braves would smash us in the post season and the phillies wouldnt get out of the first round. Damn. Great signing and low AAV
    Too bad that certain poster is no longer around. So many opportunities to point and laugh.

I like the signing short-term and the lower AAV, but I don't like the years. 7-8 years through this contract, they'll be overpaying for a 2B/3B in his late 30s, and this could be an albatross. But for the first 4-6 years, this could be huge for Philly. I respect them doubling down on a contender while they've got one.

This doesn't surprise me at all. The team and terms are pretty much what I expected.

Good deal. I can see him being good for a long time that it's not that bad in the last few years.

I don't see how it won't be pretty bad those last few years but that's basically par for the course with a contract of that size.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    I don't see how it won't be pretty bad those last few years but that's basically par for the course with a contract of that size.
    it will be bad probably from 36 on... but at 27mill we should be fine tbh. If it all goes to **** at that point harper is likely going to be bad as well so this is all for about 6 year window

Letís ****ing go!!!

Like it. Question is do the Phils have money for pitching.

[Gelb] Trea Turner, according to multiple sources, left money on the table to sign with the Phillies. The actual terms of the Padresí final offer were unclear. California has a higher income tax rate, but San Diegoís offer was believed to be significant enough to offset that.

Awesome fit. Yeah it'll be a worse value as he ages but contract figures will keep rising so 27M won't even seem like that much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast