Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 373

Thread: Healthcare

  1. #121
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    11,535
    Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    I was replying to you. I was fully aware I was replying to you. You are the person who doesn't read anything, as has been repeatedly demonstrated. The claim that you have read something is always going to be a lie, because over and over and over again you show that you haven't.
    If you have nothing specifically relating to healthcare to add here, just don't say anything. Trolling and posting off topic are your specialties, along with not understanding the articles you find in your google searches, but they are not appropriate for this thread. Again, with this exchange, you are proving that you are a disingenuous lying hypocrite (not that further proof was necessary).
    nate, losing doesn't look good on you, but you need to get used to it. It happens to you all the time.

  2. #122
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    68,069
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncsinmo View Post
    I thought you agreed with me. You just can't admit it.
    As per usual, you'd be wrong. The vaccine is far from useless.

  3. #123
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    68,069
    Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    It is obvious that it doesn't completely stop people from becoming ill, but it does help. It is not worthless.
    And remember, spliffy simply trolls to troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncsinmo View Post
    I'm not talking about becoming ill. I'm talking about sToPpInG tHe SpReAd. It is useless. And yes... he's the ultimate troll.
    I just enjoy exposing people's stupidity and fragile egos. When it comes to you two, it really doesn't take any sort of special skills to do so.

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    49,173
    Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    If you have nothing specifically relating to healthcare to add here, just don't say anything. Trolling and posting off topic are your specialties, along with not understanding the articles you find in your google searches, but they are not appropriate for this thread. Again, with this exchange, you are proving that you are a disingenuous lying hypocrite (not that further proof was necessary).
    nate, losing doesn't look good on you, but you need to get used to it. It happens to you all the time.
    Like 95% of your posts can be copied from other posts you've made and I don't think most people would even realize the difference.

    Which, I guess, is fitting given how many times people need to repeat things for you.

    Like, for example, me needing to tell you for the thousandth time that you shouldn't be replying to posts you've clearly not read, as you clearly didn't read mine pages ago now.


    "It is a grotesque parody of the bazaar at Marrakech, as if dumb animals had been granted only the amount of sentience required to mock humanity."

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    11,535
    nate, I read everything written here. You seldom write anything worth my time, however.
    Again, off-topic though. If you have no further explanation of your proposal to allow the ADA to handle healthcare in this country, just say so.

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    49,173
    Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    nate, I read everything written here. You seldom write anything worth my time, however.
    Again, off-topic though. If you have no further explanation of your proposal to allow the ADA to handle healthcare in this country, just say so.
    You don't. I've already shown that you don't. I showed it for pages and you had no idea until I came out and told you. These lies are so pointless.


    "It is a grotesque parody of the bazaar at Marrakech, as if dumb animals had been granted only the amount of sentience required to mock humanity."

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,314
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncsinmo View Post
    Read what I said slowly. It doesn't prevent you from catching it and transmitting it.
    It significantly lowers your risk of severe symptoms and possibly death. This reduces the strain on the healthcare system, which has an impact on people's willingness to start a career in healthcare.

    Vaccines are a good thing and have been for many years.

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    11,535
    Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan555 View Post
    It significantly lowers your risk of severe symptoms and possibly death. This reduces the strain on the healthcare system, which has an impact on people's willingness to start a career in healthcare.

    Vaccines are a good thing and have been for many years.
    Well said.

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    11,535
    Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    You don't. I've already shown that you don't. I showed it for pages and you had no idea until I came out and told you. These lies are so pointless.
    If you don't have a suggestion to help attract and retain healthcare workers, just say so.
    I read everything here. Most of what you write isn't worth commenting on.

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,314
    I really think we all over-complicate things. And it's understandable. We've been condition by the rich and powerful to believe that these are complex issues that require "creative" solutions.

    They don't.

    Increase salaries. Reduce hours and create reasonable work schedules. Support your staff when things get rough.

    Nurses, doctors, and all healthcare workers have an idea of what they're getting into when they decide on their career path. They know there will be gross things, sad things, heartbreaking things, etc. that they'll see. They also know there will be great stories to tell about patients they grew to care for a lot.

    There's no highly complex set of solutions here. No amount of pizza parties, gift cards, small bonuses, advertising, or lying is going to make a difference. Pay them more and don't overwork them. Once that is in place, you have something to build upon and then you can think of more nuanced ways to improve the work environment in such a way that attracts more people to the field.

    Right now, people rarely (if ever) decide on a career because it's their passion. Passion for a career is almost a dead concept. Most people you talk to will say they are choosing, or have already chosen, their career based on income possibilities and work/life balance. Those are the top priorities and pretending that there is some other solution plays right into the hands of the rich and powerful.

  11. #131
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    11,535
    Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan555 View Post
    I really think we all over-complicate things. And it's understandable. We've been condition by the rich and powerful to believe that these are complex issues that require "creative" solutions.

    They don't.

    Increase salaries. Reduce hours and create reasonable work schedules. Support your staff when things get rough.

    Nurses, doctors, and all healthcare workers have an idea of what they're getting into when they decide on their career path. They know there will be gross things, sad things, heartbreaking things, etc. that they'll see. They also know there will be great stories to tell about patients they grew to care for a lot.

    There's no highly complex set of solutions here. No amount of pizza parties, gift cards, small bonuses, advertising, or lying is going to make a difference. Pay them more and don't overwork them. Once that is in place, you have something to build upon and then you can think of more nuanced ways to improve the work environment in such a way that attracts more people to the field.

    Right now, people rarely (if ever) decide on a career because it's their passion. Passion for a career is almost a dead concept. Most people you talk to will say they are choosing, or have already chosen, their career based on income possibilities and work/life balance. Those are the top priorities and pretending that there is some other solution plays right into the hands of the rich and powerful.
    I appreciate the passion you have. You are right. People go into healthcare with their eyes open, but even knowing what you might see doesn't prepare you for what you will see. Some people simply can't handle certain situations that they run into.
    Fortunately, there are many areas of healthcare available. If a person doesn't fit in one area, they should be encouraged to try another area. Emergency medicine (ER, ICU, Flight-nurses for helicopters) are very fast-paced and intense. Clinic nurses have rather sedentary jobs, although they never know what will come through the door. They report their findings to the DR who diagnoses and prescribes treatments. Staff nurses in hospitals usually have their specialties as well -- Medical, Surgical, OB, Pediatrics.

  12. #132
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,314
    Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    I appreciate the passion you have. You are right. People go into healthcare with their eyes open, but even knowing what you might see doesn't prepare you for what you will see. Some people simply can't handle certain situations that they run into.
    Fortunately, there are many areas of healthcare available. If a person doesn't fit in one area, they should be encouraged to try another area. Emergency medicine (ER, ICU, Flight-nurses for helicopters) are very fast-paced and intense. Clinic nurses have rather sedentary jobs, although they never know what will come through the door. They report their findings to the DR who diagnoses and prescribes treatments. Staff nurses in hospitals usually have their specialties as well -- Medical, Surgical, OB, Pediatrics.
    For sure there is flexibility in what path a person can take under the large umbrella of healthcare. But if all or most of those paths come with massive student debt, low/poverty wages, and terrible work conditions because of scheduling/crappy support from management/overworking then none of it matters.

    This is why I support strikes. The general public is going to be negatively impacted either way. Either from shortages caused by greedy rich people who don't want to properly pay enough works or by a strike in which the healthcare workers have no choice but to fight for better conditions.

  13. #133
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    11,535
    Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan555 View Post
    For sure there is flexibility in what path a person can take under the large umbrella of healthcare. But if all or most of those paths come with massive student debt, low/poverty wages, and terrible work conditions because of scheduling/crappy support from management/overworking then none of it matters.

    This is why I support strikes. The general public is going to be negatively impacted either way. Either from shortages caused by greedy rich people who don't want to properly pay enough works or by a strike in which the healthcare workers have no choice but to fight for better conditions.
    Let me explain why I don't support strikes.
    Healthcare workers, specifically nurses, provide essential care to people that are sick and need 24/7 care. To disrupt their care due to a work stoppage would cost some lives unnecessarily. To ask nurse managers (1 per floor usually) to do the job of 3 or 4 nurses is to cut essential care.
    Presently, nurses are among the most respected and trusted professions. If they were to strike, they would lose the public's trust and confidence. It would take a very long time to regain that trust.
    For me, its all about continuity of patient care.

  14. #134
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,314
    Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    Let me explain why I don't support strikes.
    Healthcare workers, specifically nurses, provide essential care to people that are sick and need 24/7 care. To disrupt their care due to a work stoppage would cost some lives unnecessarily. To ask nurse managers (1 per floor usually) to do the job of 3 or 4 nurses is to cut essential care.
    Presently, nurses are among the most respected and trusted professions. If they were to strike, they would lose the public's trust and confidence. It would take a very long time to regain that trust.
    For me, its all about continuity of patient care.
    Although it may be hard to quantify, I wonder how many lives are lost or greatly impacted in a negative way because they were assigned an overworked nurse or doctor? Or how many people were turned away or asked to wait unrealistic amounts of time because there aren't enough workers?

    The negative impact and mistrust is happening already. The fault lies squarely on those in charge of making decisions (presently the rich and powerful in government, on boards of directors, in health related industries, etc.).

    I'm sure that there will be a huge portion of the population who will be easily convinced to vilify workers on strike. That's likely because those people are uneducated, easily swayed, and put way too much trust in their favorite propaganda network/source. But that doesn't mean that a strike isn't the way to go.

    We're already seeing rising rates of hospital closures:

    https://www.hks.harvard.edu/faculty-...t-patient-care

    https://www.aha.org/news/headline/20...nt-access-care

    https://www.fiercehealthcare.com/pro...osures-leaders

    Continuity of patient care is already disrupted. There is no positive outlook for anyone who is even thinking of entering the field. The problem, like most problems in this country, stems from corporate and government greed. Right now there is no solution that creates long term sustainability. The trend will continue downward. A strike is drastic, but the short term decline related to a strike (but ultimately the fault of greed) is worth it for the long term sustainability it will create when a reasonable deal is in place.

  15. #135
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    11,535
    We are pretty much in agreement about the problems in healthcare. Corporations and government are both at fault, and neither offers a workable solution to the problem. Insurance companies dictating duration of hospital stays frequently sends medically unstable patients back home, only to return in a couple of days with more serious issues that cause them to be hospitalized longer than they would have been. People are taking the decision-making power away from the Dr/Patient, where it should be. The Dr should be able to decide when a patient is medically ready for discharge.
    I have always felt that the Dr and Patient should decide what treatment is appropriate. The Dr decides how long the hospital stay should be and the insurance companies pay the bills.

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •