Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: How many points will Ja Morant have vs the Knicks?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Under 20

0 0%
  • 20-30

2 66.67%
  • 31-40

0 0%
  • 41-50

0 0%
  • 51 and up

1 33.33%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Game Thread #20 - Grizzlies (11-8) vs Knicks (9-10): Bane is out will Ja go off?

vs

Grizzlies vs Knicks
    11/27
    6PM
    Madison Square Garden

Memphis Grizzlies (11-8, fourth in the Western Conference) vs. New York Knicks (9-10, ninth in the Eastern Conference)

New York; Sunday, 6 p.m. EST

BOTTOM LINE: Memphis hits the road against New York looking to break its three-game road slide.

The Knicks are 4-4 on their home court. New York gives up 116.4 points to opponents and has been outscored by 2.2 points per game.

The Grizzlies are 4-6 on the road. Memphis ranks eighth in the Western Conference giving up only 113.8 points while holding opponents to 46.4% shooting.

The teams meet for the second time this season. The Grizzlies won 115-112 in overtime in the last meeting on Oct. 19. Ja Morant led the Grizzlies with 34 points, and Julius Randle led the Knicks with 24 points.

TOP PERFORMERS: Randle averages 2.1 made 3-pointers per game for the Knicks, scoring 20.9 points while shooting 33.6% from beyond the arc. Jalen Brunson is shooting 49.3% and averaging 21.4 points over the past 10 games for New York.

Morant is scoring 28.6 points per game with 6.1 rebounds and 7.3 assists for the Grizzlies. Desmond Bane is averaging 15.6 points and 3.1 rebounds while shooting 46.5% over the last 10 games for Memphis.

LAST 10 GAMES: Knicks: 5-5, averaging 113.9 points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks per game while shooting % from the field. Their opponents have averaged 116.8 points per game.

Grizzlies: 5-5, averaging 111.8 points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks per game while shooting % from the field. Their opponents have averaged 110.7 points.

INJURIES:

Knicks: Cam Reddish: day to day (groin), Derrick Rose: day to day (toe). Jalen Brunson -quetionable

Grizzlies: Desmond Bane: out (toe), Xavier Tillman: day to day (illness), Danny Green: out (knee), Ziaire Williams: out (knee), Santi Aldama: day to day (illness).

Play Grimes at the point guard. See what happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Deuce probably starts if JB is out.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

RJ Barrett had just endured another tough night of shooting Friday against Portland, starting off 3-for-14 before he managed to finish 6-for-22 — 1-for-7 beyond the arc. It is a problem that has lasted much of the season and he was asked if it was weighing on his confidence.

"I took 22 of them,” Barrett said. "Didn’t I?”

A simple but true declaration of his confidence, something that has never been lacking for Barrett. But not so simple is figuring out when he has experienced this latest regression. In his second season Barrett shot 44.1% overall and 40.1% from beyond the arc. Last season, he dipped to 40.8% from the field and 34.2% from three.

Through 19 games this season Barrett has struggled to a career-worst 39.4% overall and 26.4% from three. And over the last seven games? Barrett has shot 16.3% overall and 0.9% from three-point range. With the 1-for-7 performance from three on Friday Barrett has converted just six of his last 37 three-point attempts.

This isn’t exactly something new. Barrett has gone through ups and downs with his shooting since he entered the NBA — and some scouts even before he entered wondered if he would be a good enough shooter to succeed at a level worthy of the No. 3 overall pick. But confidence has never been a problem for Barrett and he isn’t concerned.
    Keep working at it,” Knicks coach Tom Thibodeau said. “We’ve got to trust the process of working your way through things, get in the gym, put in the extra work. It's all you can do.

“It was a hard game for us to adjust to and we didn't adjust the way we could have or should have. On a lot of the drives I thought he had in the first half he was looking to draw fouls instead of just attacking the rim. Put the onus on the officials to make the calls, because we weren't getting any of those. He gets some easy buckets, it's different.”

Barrett made the attempt to draw fouls with the Trail Blazers getting 51 free-throw attempts.

“They were getting everything,” Barrett said. “I thought I would get some. Second half I started going in more aggressively, trying to finish. I played a little better.

“I’m cool. I always watch the film to see where I could’ve done a better job. But I’m cool.”

Trouble sign

Jalen Brunson did not practice Saturday and is listed as questionable for Sunday’s meeting with the Memphis Grizzlies — who just returned Ja Morant to the lineup. Brunson suffered a right quad contusion Friday. Cam Reddish (groin injury) and Derrick Rose (sore toe) remain questionable also.

The Knicks quickly hae become reliant on Brunson’s overall offensive contributions, but he has taken on a particularly heavy scoring load in the last two games — scoring 34 to match his regular season career-best Monday at Oklahoma City and then following that with 32 points Friday against Portland.

Picture perfect

When the Knicks convened at training camp for their annual media day, it was not just a chance for media to interview players and preview the season but also for players to go through a gauntlet of photo opportunities for team and NBA outlets.

One of those sessions included a member of the Knicks Digital staff, Tom Garbett, shooting pictures of the players with a film camera. Jericho Sims liked the way those photos came out, so he asked Garbett about them and expanded his game.

“I just liked the pictures so I wanted to try,” Sims said.

So he went out and purchased a used film camera, nothing too fancy, and brought it with him on the team’s five-game road trip to try his hand at photography. But the problem with going old school — he still hasn’t had a chance to get the film developed yet.

What has developed is his on-court contributions. While Thibodeau has insisted he would prefer to play just two centers, Sims has found his way into the last three games since Mitchell Robinson returned from a sprained right knee.

So I brought this up yesterday but the responses from a couple were if I told you we'd be 9-9 you'd think i'm crazy?

Yea okay, dwell some more and now we lost at home to Portland without three players one being Dame.

So yes lets dwell I believe we were one of the worst home teams last year, and now this year our only wins have come against the bottom feeders which was Detroit, Orlando and Charlotte which took Ot and three starters missing for us to accomplish that,,,,,,but hey if I told you we'd beat them in oct you'd think i'm crazy lol

So now to add wood to the fire, the next games I think i've mentioned this twice already but it merits repeating, are the Grizz, Bucks, Mavs and cavs and Hawks.

could get even uglier and pretty quick!

Tommy Beer
    @TommyBeer
    ·
    2h
    Jalen Brunson scored 34 points vs. OKC and 32 vs. Portland.

He is the first Knicks point guard to score more than 30 points in back-to-back games since Nate Robinson in 2009.

The last starting PG with 30+ in consecutive contests was Stephon Marbury.

Tommy Beer
    @TommyBeer
    ·
    9h
    RJ Barrett Has Been Historically Inefficient on Offense and Dreadful On Defense.

But Other Than That...

OMG, okay Thibs keep him in, and let him shoot, no problem we get it, we are tanking? Oh wait!

Than That
    Of the 157 players averaging at least eight FG attempts per game this season, Barrett is the only one shooting below 40% from the floor and below 27% from downtown.

Tommy Beer
    10 hr ago
    The Portland Trail Blazers entered MSG Friday night riding a four-game losing streak and were without their best player, Damian Lillard, who was sidelined by a right calf strain.

The Knicks returned home from a surprisingly successful road trip earlier this week, were well rested, and were looking to get back above .500 against an undermanned opponent. And when they jumped out to a 14-point lead in the first half, it looked like New York would do just that.

However, by the time the final horn sounded at the end of overtime, Jerami Grant had poured in a career-high 44 points, Anfernee Simons had 38 points of his own, and the Blazers had a victory.

Jalen Brunson tried to put his team on his back Friday night, tallying 32 points (on 22 FG attempts), five rebounds, four assists, and three 3-pointers. His runner with 14 seconds left in the fourth quarter gave the Knicks a two-point lead, but he missed a short jumper in the closing seconds, allowing Portland to force overtime.

After scoring 34 points in OKC on Monday, Brunson is the first Knicks point guard to score more than 30 points in back-to-back games since Nate Robinson in 2009. The last starting PG with 30+ in consecutive contests was Stephon Marbury.

If we're looking for culprits in Friday's loss to the Blazers, we have to start with RJ Barrett, who remains mired in a gnarly shooting slump. RJ was 6-of-22 from the field on Friday and is just 36-for-114 (31.6%) in his last seven games. Despite hitting three of his four 3PT attempts vs. OKC, Barrett is shooting below 17% from downtown during this seven-game stretch. He also has nearly as many turnovers (17) as assists (20).

Over the past two weeks, Barrett has scored 107 points on 114 FG attempts. The Knicks have been outscored by 66 points in the 236 minutes he's been on the court.

If it were just one short stretch, that would be one thing. But looking at the season as a whole, the numbers are gruesome.

This season, RJ is shooting career-lows from the floor (39.4%) and from behind the arc (26.4%).

One hundred fifty-seven players are averaging at least eight FG attempts per game this season. Barrett is the only one of those 157 shooting below 40% from the floor and below 27% from downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Play Grimes at the point guard. See what happens

Nah. This kinda ruined IQ's game. Yes, he learned how to be adequate, but it cost him confidence-wise.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

not sure anyone cares but I had to make the poll one day so that means it ends around 3:15 today.

Just saying lol

Quote Originally Posted by still a fan View Post
    not sure anyone cares but I had to make the poll one day so that means it ends around 3:15 today.

Just saying lol
    Don't see them on the cell phone app. Never seen any.

Steve Popper
    @StevePopper
    ·
    5h
    Won't likely get updates on Brunson, Reddish and Rose until late this afternoon - but Grizzlies listing Bane (toe) and Zaire Williams (ankle) out tonight.

Rj's gonna have that random 30 pt game where he goes 5-5 from 3

RJ is going to have to do it agains Brooks so I doubt he's going to leave him wide open unless he's covering for Jalen

Jackson jr is playing so will Randle cover his three's? he shot 2-3 last game and scored 20.

Adams is going to push our centers around for sure

Konchar and Grimes is a good matchup and Konchar is making 47% of this three's so how much help on Ja can we give? If Jalen don't go I can IQ starting and covering Ja or Duece who will try.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast