Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

I’d like your opinion on our team at this, our quarter of a season mark!

We have played 19 games so far, we are just about at the 1st quarter of the season mark. We are currently a middle of the road team. What do you guys think? Do we stay the course with what we have—-at least till the trade deadline comes or do we do something now? Can we even make the playoffs with the team we currently have? What say you!

A lot of things that aren’t looking good

Defensemen have been very poor overall. Still have weak links on top lines. Lafreniere and Kakko are once again not living up to expectations.

I guess that’s why Gallant dropped them down to the 3rd line. I think Gallant should give Chytil a shot at playing on the 2nd line with Panarin. Something along the lines of Kreider/Zibenajad/Vesey( I like how he’s playing on this line, the numbers aren’t there but he’s doing the dirty work for that line). I’d like to give Chytil a shot at the Panarin/Trocheck—heck I like the way Chytil has been playing and I think if he’s put on a line with offensive players his numbers will jump. That would leave us with placing Goodrow as the 3rd line Center in between Lafraniere & Kakko—they can continue to cycling the puck to their heart’s content—they won’t score but they will hold on to the puck long enough to keep the other team from scoring. As for the 4th line, well, I’d say Carpenter till Drury/Gallant open their eyes and come to the reality that Carpenter s**ks and bring up Rydahl who at least has some offensive accument with Gauthier & Reaves/Blias.

But beside that, I have to go back to what I said in the November thread, I would look at dealing Zac Jones for Kaiden Guhle. Hey, Gorton is in Montreal, he drafted Jones, and Montreal has a lot of physical defensemen—Xhekaj has 62 hits in 18 gms, Kovacevic has 19 hits in 17 gms, Savard has 15 hits and 18 gms., Harris has 14 in 17 and Edmundson 13 in 8 gms. Montreal also has Chris Wideman & Mike Matheson on their team so they have more than enough defensemen on their team. Guhle is a lefthanded Schneider, so he would be a perfect fit for 3rd line defensive pair. Guhle has 37 hits & 31 blocked shots in 18 games—unfortunately he’s has 8 pts in those 18 games while Jones has only 2 pts in 12 gms, only 2 hits & 11 blocked shots in those 12, so I think Gorton would ask for more than just Jones in a deal for Guhle.

Well, Drury just dealt Reaves to Minny for a 2025 5th Rd pick in order to clear cap space—which is meaningless unless we are a playoff team by the time the trade deadline comes. So….

If Drury wanted to clear cap space, Sammy Blias and/or Carpenter should have been the ones to trade, but we ALL know Drury is NOT gonna admit that he got jerked in the Buchnevich deal so we will be forced to swallow Blias no matter how poorly he’s playing. Let’s face it Vesey & Gauthier’s play have made Blias and his 1.5 mil. contract useless. And Carpenter isn’t needed with Zibenajad,Trocheck,Chytil & Goodrow playing Center, also Rydahl would be a better more offensive player than Carpenter—plus he’s a player we can bring up and down when need be without risking losing.
    Last edited by Mr.Wiskers; 11-24-2022 at 03:48 PM.

After a loss to Edmonton, some called it a “collapse”. I think we need to fix our defense, and our defensive play. It’s obvious that Jones & Hajek are NOT getting it done and are killing our defense. Their play has been so bad that this causing us to overplay our top 2 defensive pairing to keep them from being on the ice, which also effects Schneider’s ice time as he’s handcuffed to them. We need to get rid of these guys. I read today that Lindgren is day to day with our next game coming on Monday. I’m pretty sure Drury will have Gallant play both Hajek & Jones instead of bringing someone up, giving someone a chance to show what they can do.

If someone is brought up from Hartford it should be Ty Emberson. I know Drury will go with Ben Harpur because he’s the “veteran” and is a LHD but I think Ty Emberson is the better defenseman, way higher upside, and THE long term answer to the team. Yes, yes Ty is a RHD, but we are talking about the best option here. One of either Emberson or Schneider would have to play on the left side. But Keep this in mind, not that it would happen but then again it could happen—-Trouba played left defense in Winnipeg, he hated it but he was on a team with Byfuglien, Bogosian & Myers for most of his time there. He b***hed and moaned about having to play it, but he could play it and who knows he’s older now, he’s getting paid, he’s the team captain maybe now he’d do it if it meant putting the team 1st. Emberson played 2 seasons with Miller in Wisconsin and on the USA National U18 team. Yes, Emberson was on the USNTDP—the US National under 17, under 18, and played on the WHC-17, WJC-18 & WJC-18. Emberson is that good, not an offensive player but a sound defensive player. So I could see something like Lindgren/Fox, Trouba/Schneider, Miller/Emberson on defense.

But coming back down to earth, if we need a d-man it will more than likely be Harpur.
    Last edited by Mr.Wiskers; 11-27-2022 at 04:24 PM.

Wow! You guys have to read Anthony Scultore’s article on the ForeverBlueshirts blog, it’s titled: Vitali Kravtsov considered extra forward, Rangers unlikely to change lineup. I won’t spoil it for you, I’ll just say you guys should read it. AND if anyone has a subscription to the Athletic, can you PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE post what’s being said by Arthur Staple: Mr.Scultore makes note that Mr. Staple has made comments with regard to Gallant being on the hot seat.

Seeing what’s going on and thinking back to training camp. I remember saying and writing how stupid a move it was sending Othmann down so early in camp. I said this was a Drury decision because after Othmann scored 2x in the 1st game he knew if he gave Othmann more playing time he would be forced to keep him on the team and he didn’t want to lose that 1st year of his entry level contract if Othmann made the team somehow and/or if another GM saw Othmann play and decided he had to have him included in a trade deadline deal. Well fast forward to the first quarter of the season and Othmann has 31 pts in 22 games—proving that he has as we ALL new outgrown playing in the OHL, and this is just a wasted season of development time for a top prospect. If I’m Drury, and this isn’t rocket science, I’d be calling the Petersborough Pete’s management and Othmann, himself and telling them place him on the RW, let’s see if he can handle the right side because with Kreider & Panarin locked into the LW with their big contracts and Lafraniere showing he’s not able to handle the right side. We really need to see if Othmann can play the right side—granted he has said multiple times that he can play ALL 3 forward positions, we ALL want to make sure he can( I said/posted how Othmann and his father & uncle played and coached in Switzerland and know what it’s gonna take to make it. They have done everything to ensure their kid makes it, including getting him a skating coach, working out to get stronger, sending him to Switzerland during the pandemic to make sure he didn’t lose valuable playing/development time. But can you guys imagine if Othmann was given the opportunity in camp to play with Kreider & Zibenajad—he’s shown the ability and willingness to shoot the puck, something that was prove to work on the Kreider/Zibenajad line when Frank Vatrano was brought in at the end of the season.

I’d line to point to an earlier post of Emberson as another guy I’d like to see given an opportunity. And while I didn’t say it in that post, I think Drury needs to have Knoblauch put him on the left side to see if it’s something he can do as he’s in the same situation at Othmann is in—-he has Fox, Trouba & Schneider cemented in front of him on the right side. So it’s a case of let’s we if he can handled the left side and if he can’t let’s deal him for someone who can. Stop wasting a players career by stashing him in the minors.
    Last edited by Mr.Wiskers; 11-29-2022 at 09:55 PM.