Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
Results 241 to 255 of 263
  1. #241
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,317
    Quote Originally Posted by AUDIT View Post
    Isn't it a little early to talk about what place the Mets team is no better than? Geez Louise!
    No it is not Audit and I'm sure the Mets braintrust would agree. We are currently rostered to be less in pitching and offense (maybe not defense) than both Atlanta and Philadelphia. Marlins have better pitching. Only the Nationals might be on par or worse than we are - as presently constructed.

    As the Mets add free agents, we will see how they stack up. But if they lose deGrom and Nimmo, in particular, and can't replace them with equal or better value they will be no better than they are now. And that assumes that Bassitt and Walker are both gone - and they were very valuable to the Mets in 2022 - moreso than deGrom was in his short stint with the Mets during the last month or so of 2022.

    Verlander could certainly replace what deGrom did over the past 2 years, but the Mets need to bring someone in as a number 3 starter, the bullpen needs someone like Loup in 2021 or Ottavino in 2022 and Lugo needs to be replaced although I think Drew Smith could be that person.

    None of the cf free agent candidates can replace Nimmo and we have nothing to trade, so we will likely have to bring in a corner outfielder and slot Marte into cf, thus weakening our outfield defense overall.

  2. #242
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    1,137
    Quote Originally Posted by swbwtr View Post
    No it is not Audit and I'm sure the Mets braintrust would agree. We are currently rostered to be less in pitching and offense (maybe not defense) than both Atlanta and Philadelphia. Marlins have better pitching. Only the Nationals might be on par or worse than we are - as presently constructed.

    As the Mets add free agents, we will see how they stack up. But if they lose deGrom and Nimmo, in particular, and can't replace them with equal or better value they will be no better than they are now. And that assumes that Bassitt and Walker are both gone - and they were very valuable to the Mets in 2022 - moreso than deGrom was in his short stint with the Mets during the last month or so of 2022.

    Verlander could certainly replace what deGrom did over the past 2 years, but the Mets need to bring someone in as a number 3 starter, the bullpen needs someone like Loup in 2021 or Ottavino in 2022 and Lugo needs to be replaced although I think Drew Smith could be that person.

    None of the cf free agent candidates can replace Nimmo and we have nothing to trade, so we will likely have to bring in a corner outfielder and slot Marte into cf, thus weakening our outfield defense overall.
    Watch out, the sky is falling.

    I definitely would not want to be in a foxhole with you during a war!

  3. #243
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    1,137
    BTW,
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...c92ec590b16fd9

    "According to multiple MLB experts interviewed by ESPN, the Mets seem likely to offer Rodon $150 million over five years."

    Sounds like rumor at best. But you never know. That would be $30M per year. Maybe Mets are getting tired of waiting on Degrom. I do have a feeling that Mets are not going to wait too long on Degrom.

  4. #244
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    11,532
    Quote Originally Posted by AUDIT View Post
    BTW,
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...c92ec590b16fd9

    "According to multiple MLB experts interviewed by ESPN, the Mets seem likely to offer Rodon $150 million over five years."

    Sounds like rumor at best. But you never know. That would be $30M per year. Maybe Mets are getting tired of waiting on Degrom. I do have a feeling that Mets are not going to wait too long on Degrom.
    Or they’re signing both!!!!! Honestly, I could see them spending big on pitching this year. We all assume we know the Mets spending limit. We, in fact, do not. So, with that said, it would not surprise me to see them sign deGrom, Rodon, Senga and Nimo plus
    Last edited by macattack; 11-23-2022 at 04:28 PM.

  5. #245
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    1,031
    Quote Originally Posted by AUDIT View Post
    I agree. It is far from a no-brainer. In fact, I think it is more likely than not that Alvarez starts the season at AAA.

    In any case, you don't have to trade McCann, who has no market value anyway. You can just release him and eat the money. But I think at this point it is far better to have a good defense duo behind the plate.
    I agree. Alvarez probably gets some AAA seasoning and called up in May. If McCann has a lousy start, he gets released like Cano did. If McCann is doing ok, they carry three catchers with Alonso getting a lot of ABs as DH.

  6. #246
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,317
    [QUOTE=Halfmiler2;34539212]I agree. Alvarez probably gets some AAA seasoning and called up in May. If McCann has a lousy start, he gets released like Cano did. If McCann is doing ok, they carry three catchers with Alonso getting a lot of ABs as DH.[/QU


    Did you mean Alvarez will get a lot of ABs vs. left handed pitchers? I think Vogie will be getting the lion's share of DH opps vs. righty pitching.

  7. #247
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,560
    Quote Originally Posted by AUDIT View Post
    Disagree about Ohtani. Angels are signing and trading for players and trying to improve despite only winning 79 games. I think they will continue on that course and will ultimately wind up locking up Ohtani to a long term deal.
    So literally the exact same thing they’ve been doing for years

  8. #248
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,560
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    The Joely Rodriguez era is over. He signed with the Red Sox for 2023 with a club option for 2024.
    I feel much safer now, thank you
    Lol

  9. #249
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    1,137
    Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    Or they’re signing both!!!!! Honestly, I could see them spending big on pitching this year. We all assume we know the Mets spending limit. We, in fact, do not. So, with that said, it would not surprise me to see them sign deGrom, Rodon, Senga and Nimo plus
    I agree. The Mets will be spending big on pitching.

    However, I am getting the feeling that Nimmo will be gone, thanks in part to Boras. Despite the hand cringing by some here, I don't think it is the end of civilization as we know it. Marte can move to CF where he has always played in spite of the fact that some here argue he can no longer play the position, which is ridiculous. I could see the Mets signing somebody like Mitch Haniger for RF.

    I also have a feeling the Mets are going to lose patience with Degrom. Either he wants to be here or not! Of course, I don't know what goes on behind the scenes and the Mets may in fact be negotiating as we speak. A lot will depend on the feedback the Mets get from Verlander and Rodon.

    As for Senga, I think the Mets definitely want him so it is just a matter of where he wants to be, west coast or east coast, and how much.

    Mets should also go after the Japanese OF that is going to be posted, Yoshidi. An OF of Marte, Canha, Haniger, and Yoshidi is fine for me. You a lineup of Marte, McNeil, Lindor, (28 hrs.) Alonso (40 hrs.), Haniger (35 hrs.), Escobar (27 Hrs.), Canha, and Nido/McCann.

  10. #250
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    11,532
    Quote Originally Posted by AUDIT View Post
    I agree. The Mets will be spending big on pitching.

    However, I am getting the feeling that Nimmo will be gone, thanks in part to Boras. Despite the hand cringing by some here, I don't think it is the end of civilization as we know it. Marte can move to CF where he has always played in spite of the fact that some here argue he can no longer play the position, which is ridiculous. I could see the Mets signing somebody like Mitch Haniger for RF.

    I also have a feeling the Mets are going to lose patience with Degrom. Either he wants to be here or not! Of course, I don't know what goes on behind the scenes and the Mets may in fact be negotiating as we speak. A lot will depend on the feedback the Mets get from Verlander and Rodon.

    As for Senga, I think the Mets definitely want him so it is just a matter of where he wants to be, west coast or east coast, and how much.

    Mets should also go after the Japanese OF that is going to be posted, Yoshidi. An OF of Marte, Canha, Haniger, and Yoshidi is fine for me. You a lineup of Marte, McNeil, Lindor, (28 hrs.) Alonso (40 hrs.), Haniger (35 hrs.), Escobar (27 Hrs.), Canha, and Nido/McCann.

    We are on the same page bro.

  11. #251
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    51,230
    Quote Originally Posted by AUDIT View Post
    I agree. The Mets will be spending big on pitching.

    However, I am getting the feeling that Nimmo will be gone, thanks in part to Boras. Despite the hand cringing by some here, I don't think it is the end of civilization as we know it. Marte can move to CF where he has always played in spite of the fact that some here argue he can no longer play the position, which is ridiculous. I could see the Mets signing somebody like Mitch Haniger for RF.

    I also have a feeling the Mets are going to lose patience with Degrom. Either he wants to be here or not! Of course, I don't know what goes on behind the scenes and the Mets may in fact be negotiating as we speak. A lot will depend on the feedback the Mets get from Verlander and Rodon.

    As for Senga, I think the Mets definitely want him so it is just a matter of where he wants to be, west coast or east coast, and how much.

    Mets should also go after the Japanese OF that is going to be posted, Yoshidi. An OF of Marte, Canha, Haniger, and Yoshidi is fine for me. You a lineup of Marte, McNeil, Lindor, (28 hrs.) Alonso (40 hrs.), Haniger (35 hrs.), Escobar (27 Hrs.), Canha, and Nido/McCann.
    The problem with signing deGrom and Nimmo is you're running back a lot of the same team that lost in the WC round. I do think they re-sign them but they have to be creative elsewhere. Its a shame they didn't get Renfroe because the Angels didn't give up much to get him and he would have been a nice bat behind Alonso. Not ideal but better than what they had aside from the days that McNeil was their 5th place hitter. I think they need to do some lineup shuffling as well. Move McNeil up in the order and move Marte down unless he's going to go back to stealing bases like he did in 2021.

    Haniger isn't a bad option but the Mets won't outbid teams for him unless they don't re-sign Nimmo. And if they do sign Haniger before Nimmo signs that hurts some of Nimmo's leverage with the Mets. They have to resolve Nimmo and deGrom soon but the likelihood of that happening is slim, especially when it comes to Brandon because it seems enough teams like his ability.

    That's why I don't get all the bluster about a potential reunion with Conforto. He's another Bora's client is going to want Michael to sign a deal where he is an everyday player. That isn't happening here.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-24-2022 at 01:18 PM.

  12. #252
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    72
    Hoping the Mets sign a black Friday deal

  13. #253
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,683
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    The problem with signing deGrom and Nimmo is you're running back a lot of the same team that lost in the WC round. I do think they re-sign them but they have to be creative elsewhere. Its a shame they didn't get Renfroe because the Angels didn't give up much to get him and he would have been a nice bat behind Alonso. Not ideal but better than what they had aside from the days that McNeil was their 5th place hitter. I think they need to do some lineup shuffling as well. Move McNeil up in the order and move Marte down unless he's going to go back to stealing bases like he did in 2021.

    Haniger isn't a bad option but the Mets won't outbid teams for him unless they don't re-sign Nimmo. And if they do sign Haniger before Nimmo signs that hurts some of Nimmo's leverage with the Mets. They have to resolve Nimmo and deGrom soon but the likelihood of that happening is slim, especially when it comes to Brandon because it seems enough teams like his ability.

    That's why I don't get all the bluster about a potential reunion with Conforto. He's another Bora's client is going to want Michael to sign a deal where he is an everyday player. That isn't happening here.
    There is a big difference and it is two big IFS. IF Degrom AND Scherzer stay healthy the entire year we would have won going away .

  14. #254
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    51,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    There is a big difference and it is two big IFS. IF Degrom AND Scherzer stay healthy the entire year we would have won going away .
    Maybe but its just as easy to make the case that if Atlanta has Harris, Strider, and Acuna from day 1, they could have won going away.

    Scherzer took a lot of flack for those last 2 starts but I still like the guy a lot. I know he was paid all that money for those type of games but there was no doubting how good he was most of the season. If he makes 30-32 starts, he probably finishes 2nd in CY Young voting in 2022.

    The problem is these guys ages and deGrom's injury history. That doesn't get better as guys creep up closer to their middle 30s or in Scherzer's case as he approaches 40. You can put easy money on both of those guys hitting the IL at least one next year.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-25-2022 at 01:05 AM.

  15. #255
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,683
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Maybe but its just as easy to make the case that if Atlanta has Harris, Strider, and Acuna from day 1, they could have won going away.

    Scherzer took a lot of flack for those last 2 starts but I still like the guy a lot. I know he was paid all that money for those type of games but there was no doubting how good he was most of the season. If he makes 30-32 starts, he probably finishes 2nd in CY Young voting in 2022.

    The problem is these guys ages and deGrom's injury history. That doesn't get better as guys creep up closer to their middle 30s or in Scherzer's case as he approaches 40. You can put easy money on both of those guys hitting the IL at least one next year.
    I am not saying you are wrong necessarily, but DeGrom only pitched in 11 games and 64 innings last year. I said it was a big IF , but I would expect him to pitch in more than 11 games this comning yrar.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •