Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 19 of 74 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Can’t run out the same lineup that couldn’t score in the playoffs.

Even if Nimmo comes back, there needs to be a solid RHB added. If he doesn’t come back, two every day players at minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1. Nimmo or something better offensively in the OF.
    2. A regular catcher who can hit (unless you want to carry 3 catchers one of whom is Alvarez)
    3. A RH hitting DH not named Ruf or a LF hitting outfielder.

But pitching needs to be addressed while still going after Nimmo.

Abreu signed with Astros

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

https://twitter.com/jonheyman/status...qfmNlrLZJgsY4A

Chavez promoted to bench coach and Barnes promoted to hitting coach.

https://twitter.com/genymets/status/...qfmNlrLZJgsY4A

Can’t run out the same lineup that couldn’t score in the playoffs.

Even if Nimmo comes back, there needs to be a solid RHB added. If he doesn’t come back, two every day players at minimum.

Unbelievably ridiculous!

Maybe we should get rid of the pitching staff as well, since they gave up an average 6.67 runs per game for the postseason.

The Mets were tied for 5th in all of MLB in runs scored. Even if they scored during those three games their average for the season (4.77) they would not have won any of those games against SD.

Now, when I say get rid of the pitching, it is tongue cheek because that is as ludicrous as saying we can't have the same lineup that didn't score runs int he playoffs. The playoffs, all 3 games of it! Geez, give me a break. For all we know, the next 3 games could have been laughers.

Just like that series at Citi where the Mets embarassed the Braves. If you were Braves fan and the season had ended at that point would you be saying the same thing about the Braves? I wonder.

I'm not blaming the pitching for three games, just like if Met pitching had shutout SD for all three games it would be nice but not necessarily reflective of their talent.

Oh well....off to the guillotine with Scherzer, to the dungeon with DeGrom, because the Z is not happy.

Sign Matt Moore, previously with the Rangers. Seasoned left handed reliever. 2022: 63 games; 5-2, 5 saves; 74 IP; 83 K's; ERA 1.95; WHIP 1.18. He'd come relatively cheap at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by AUDIT View Post
    Unbelievably ridiculous!

Maybe we should get rid of the pitching staff as well, since they gave up an average 6.67 runs per game for the postseason.

The Mets were tied for 5th in all of MLB in runs scored. Even if they scored during those three games their average for the season (4.77) they would not have won any of those games against SD.

Now, when I say get rid of the pitching, it is tongue cheek because that is as ludicrous as saying we can't have the same lineup that didn't score runs int he playoffs. The playoffs, all 3 games of it! Geez, give me a break. For all we know, the next 3 games could have been laughers.

Just like that series at Citi where the Mets embarassed the Braves. If you were Braves fan and the season had ended at that point would you be saying the same thing about the Braves? I wonder.

I'm not blaming the pitching for three games, just like if Met pitching had shutout SD for all three games it would be nice but not necessarily reflective of their talent.

Oh well....off to the guillotine with Scherzer, to the dungeon with DeGrom, because the Z is not happy.
    I dont think anything he said was crazy.

Putting the ball in play is good especially with the shift gone but that works for the other teams as well. Until Alvarez is the mostly everyday catcher they are still getting not great offense from 3rd, LF, the catchers spot and RH DH.

What happens if the Phillies add Trea Turner btw?

Its important this team does something significant besides bringing back Nimmo and deGrom.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-29-2022 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I dont think anything he said was crazy.

Putting the ball in play is good especially with the shift gone but that works for the other teams as well. Until Alvarez is the mostly everyday catcher they are still getting not great offense from 3rd, LF, the catchers spot and RH DH.

What happens if the Phillies add Trea Turner btw?

Its important this team does something significant besides bringing back Nimmo and deGrom.
    This is where I was going with my argument. The Mets put the ball in play plenty which is good but at the same time, power is what wins postseason games…and that’s evidenced by the numbers. A contact oriented approach is great for the long run but in a do or die series, having sluggers who can make a difference is super valuable. The only big time bat the Mets have is Alonso. Lindor and Escobar have pop too but they’re not as feared of as hitters.

McNeil, Marte, Nimmo, and Canha are all on base/contact guys who aren’t going to drive in runs but that’s mostly because their job is to get on base, when 2/3rds of the lineup is comprised of players whose job is to get on base, that’s going to reflect in low scoring postseason games with lots of hits but a difficulty to score runs due to facing much better pitching.

Now that the shift is gone, things also may not work in the Mets favor. Re-signing Nimmo would be ideal but it doesn’t really fix the problem with the lack of power. Baty and Alvarez can provide that power but the Mets could still use a more proven bat that can play the outfield in the event of regression/injury from Canha or Marte.

Ideally at this point the rest of the offseason would look something like;

Nimmo
    deGrom
    Senga
    Chad Green/Ottavino
    Taylor Rogers

At the very least. But I do still think that Bellinger/Myers could very well provide a lot of value and give the Mets a bit of a deeper roster. Regardless of if the Mets re-sign Nimmo or not, another quality outfield bat should be signed that can provide some pop. Bellinger, Myers, Duvall, and Pollock comes to mind.

Point is, there needs to be contingency plans.

If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

This is where I was going with my argument. The Mets put the ball in play plenty which is good but at the same time, power is what wins postseason games…and that’s evidenced by the numbers. A contact oriented approach is great for the long run but in a do or die series, having sluggers who can make a difference is super valuable. The only big time bat the Mets have is Alonso. Lindor and Escobar have pop too but they’re not as feared of as hitters.

McNeil, Marte, Nimmo, and Canha are all on base/contact guys who aren’t going to drive in runs but that’s mostly because their job is to get on base, when 2/3rds of the lineup is comprised of players whose job is to get on base, that’s going to reflect in low scoring postseason games with lots of hits but a difficulty to score runs due to facing much better pitching.

Now that the shift is gone, things also may not work in the Mets favor. Re-signing Nimmo would be ideal but it doesn’t really fix the problem with the lack of power. Baty and Alvarez can provide that power but the Mets could still use a more proven bat that can play the outfield in the event of regression/injury from Canha or Marte.

Nimmo
    deGrom
    Senga
    Chad Green/Ottavino
    Taylor Rogers

At the very least. But I do still think that Bellinger/Myers could very well provide a lot of value and give the Mets a bit of a deeper roster. Regardless of if the Mets re-sign Nimmo or not, another quality outfield bat should be signed that can provide some pop. Bellinger, Myers, Duvall, and Pollock comes to mind.

You are probably dreaming of the Bellinger of 2019 when he hit 305 with 47 HRS and 155 RBIS or the Bellinger of 2017 when he hit 267 with 37 HRS and 97 RBIs not the Bellinger of 2020, 2021 and 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    You are probably dreaming of the Bellinger of 2019 when he hit 305 with 47 HRS and 155 RBIS or the Bellinger of 2017 when he hit 267 with 37 HRS and 97 RBIs not the Bellinger of 2020, 2021 and 2022.
    The Bellinger who is a few years removed from shoulder surgery, can be had for little commitment, and is an elite defender?

Even if he puts up the same numbers as last year, that’s still close to a 2 win player. Worth the gamble.

If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

Nimmo
    deGrom
    Senga
    Chad Green/Ottavino
    Taylor Rogers

Canha needs to be a 4th OFer in an ideal world. I like him but he doesn't provide the pop that most corner OFers provide and the more ABs he gets, the less productive he is.

I dont think the Mets will make any other positional player moves because Baty and Alvarez are their future at 3rd and catcher unless they are dealt. I really wanted Renfroe but getting a bat is necessary imo otherwise they probably find themselves searching for one at the trade deadline again next year. That means more trading of prospects which is something that sounds like the Mets dont want to do from their rhetoric.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-29-2022 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Canha needs to be a 4th OFer in an ideal world. I like him but he doesn't provide the pop that most corner OFers provide and the more ABs he gets, the less productive he is.

I dont think the Mets will make any other positional player moves because Baty and Alvarez are their future at 3rd and catcher unless they are dealt. I really wanted Renfroe but getting a bat is necessary imo otherwise they probably find themselves searching for one at the trade deadline again next year. That means more trading of prospects which is something that sounds like the Mets dont want to do from their rhetoric.
    I was on the Renfroe train for a while as well. I thought he could’ve been the Schwarber kind of bat that the team is lacking. I don’t see any other position player moves and I haven’t put any down in my wish list…an OF, preferably 2 would be towards the top of the list. If not an OF, then another 2B and rotating McNeil into the outfield could work but I don’t like that.

The Mets definitely need a CF and at least a RHB to the platoon. Vientos could be that guy but if he’s borderline unplayable in the field so he just creates another square cog. If not Vientos then you could use Escobar as the RHB for DH but then are you comfortable using Baty against LHPs? If not, you could always use Alvarez as the RHB but do you really want to carry 3 catchers in the event that he’s not ready defensively?

If Nido has options then ideally the Mets send him to AAA and give McCann until May 15th to see if he’s worth keeping around.

Signing somebody like Mitch Haniger to be an everyday player could also theoretically work in addition to Nimmo as he could both split time with Canha in LF and also DH. Somebody else I hadn’t considered before would be Brandon Drury - who can play everywhere and who has good enough power. Not an ideal choice, though.

Nimmo + Haniger lineup?

Vs LHP

CF- Nimmo
    RF- Marte
    SS- Lindor
    1B- Alonso
    RF- Haniger
    2B- McNeil
    DH- Escobar/Canha (or rotate Canha into OF)
    C- Alvarez
    3B- Baty

Vs RHP

CF- Nimmo
    2B- McNeil
    SS- Lindor
    1B- Alonso
    LF- Haniger
    DH- Vogelbach/Escobar/Canha
    RF- Marte
    3B- Baty
    C- Alvarez

Consistent bench of: Escobar, Canha, Nido, and Guillorme?

With all of the players who have concerns whether it’s Nimmo’s health, Marte’s health/age, Baty/Alvarez’s unproven natures, Haniger’s health, or Canha’s questionable ability going forward…there are plenty of back ups and contingency plans if the Mets were to acquire two outfielders, with or without Nimmo.

I don't like any of this. That lineup will be incredibly difficult to stop with Trea Turner, Schwarber, Harper, Realmuto, Hoskins and Castellanos. That's why its important to get another bat even if we re-sign Nimmo.

Last edited by metswon69; 11-30-2022 at 06:38 PM.

The problem for the Mets is they can't guarantee these FA full time at bats if Nimmo re-signs, especially the guys that want 1 year deals to re-establish their value. So if they bring back Brandon, you can forget guys like Pollock, Conforto, Bellinger, etc.

Page 19 of 74 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast