Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    Better question is..

How do the Yankees define success? The whole thing is based on the perception that the Yankees are the dominant franchise. That is dying out. They need another ring.

So I think no, we havenít been successful. The machine is stalling. I know people that have season tickets, and they told me the team was practically begging people to buy playoff tickets, offering deals

I donít think success means the same thing for every team
    My family held season tics since the mid 50's. The problem with sales isn't the team it's the FO, they dropped the ball when they first opened the new stadium. They screwed the long time season ticket holders in favor of the corp accounts. They priced the box holder (like me) out of the picture. I was left with deciding between my kids tuition or Yankee tics. Iwas livid with how disrespectful they were to a very long time ticket holder. I vowed to never return to the Stadium and haven't stepped foot in it.

Things changed under Hank's, then Hal's leadership. So how success is defined changed from George to Hank to Hal. Hal is by far the most corp and structured. Hank more like his father is some ways.

The Yankees financial clout has been mitigated, in part by the MLB, in part by Hal's own insistence on a lower payroll. The Yankees are a dominant franchise. They have the highest valuation (Forbes) and play in the largest media market in the world. They are the fastest growing MLB franchise as well, with a 50% increase in valuation since the 2017 MLB season ($4 to $6 billion). The Yankees have held the crown for the most valuable MLB franchise since the inaugural ranking, which was released after the 1998 MLB season.

https://www.forbes.com/mlb-valuations/list/

https://sny.tv/articles/no-surprise-...mlb-valuations
    Last edited by drt1010; 11-13-2022 at 11:06 AM.

Sell the Team, HAL!

You can't spend "valuation", only sell it.
    Last edited by Stevemil505; 11-13-2022 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevemil505 View Post
    You can't spend "valuation", only sell it.
    Not necessarily....you can also borrow against it big time!

Hal could and has sold shares in the past to raise capital. The empire includes not only the Yankees but The YES network and the entertainment and hospitality arm of the business, Yankee Global Enterprises.

On August 30, 2022, Steinbrenner acquired a minority share of Italian soccer club AC Milan. He acquired a 10% stake. Hal and co. will be a minority owner to Gerry Cardinaleís RedBird Capital Partners, which is buying AC Milan for $1.19 billion
    Last edited by drt1010; 11-13-2022 at 01:35 PM.

Sell the Team, HAL!

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    So essentially punt the entire season.
    It might make sense. The future of this team is going to depend on Volpe, Peraza, and a few of the other young players. It would make sense to save Judge's money and add a player in their prime in a year or two when the team is ready to compete with Volpe/Peraza/etc more established and settled in. If they sign Judge, then in two/three years when Volpe, Pereza, Dominguez, etc are key contributors, it may be tough to add around them with 100M a year going to three guys over the hill (Judge, Stanton, and Cole).

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLES3658 View Post
    It might make sense. The future of this team is going to depend on Volpe, Peraza, and a few of the other young players. It would make sense to save Judge's money and add a player in their prime in a year or two when the team is ready to compete with Volpe/Peraza/etc more established and settled in. If they sign Judge, then in two/three years when Volpe, Pereza, Dominguez, etc are key contributors, it may be tough to add around them with 100M a year going to three guys over the hill (Judge, Stanton, and Cole).
    I get it. Just seems out of character. Yankees don't rebuild. But it does make sense, particularly in regards to the aging players.

I said it last year, I love Judge, the face of the franchise, but I wouldn't go more than 5-7 yrs. He'll be 31 at the start of the season, a body that big will not age well.

Sell the Team, HAL!

I get it. Just seems out of character. Yankees don't rebuild. But it does make sense, particularly in regards to the aging players.

I said it last year, I love Judge, the face of the franchise, but I wouldn't go more than 5-7 yrs. He'll be 31 at the start of the season, a body that big will not age well.
    Completely agree about Judge. Not to mention, he just had a historic year in a contract year. The likelihood he comes close to replicating that type of season is slim. Don't get me wrong, even if he is the player he was from 2017-2021, he is still and elite player. But the 2022 version was an all time great version of him. Add on top his playoff struggles to his huge frame and injury prone past and I do not see a huge contract going well for him. Then again, very few mega contracts turn out great.

Do you consider this team, that has been falling short for over a decade, successful?

And do you think we are close, or getting there, as currently built?

And the plan is for at least a couple of the kids to play, regardless of Judge/Rizzo. Thereís not going to be any big moves. And definitely none that will make up for Judge leaving
    I know this wasn't to me but I'd like to answer

The last 10yrs have been total failures based on my expectations and what makes it 10X worse is there has been zero accountability from the front office. The only person that was held responsible was Girardi, hows that worked out?
    Cashman has constructed a shite show for a roster and every yr seem to be the same story, get to the playoffs, can't hit those big HRs in the playoffs and lose. Rinse, wash, repeat

We've actually gotten much better in the talent development and acquisition phase of the system. The problem with that, outside of Judge, all they young players we have developed have come up and looked really, really promising only to regress into players that are good enough to be on a championship roster. Especially since the Baby Bombers. They have screwed up a ton of high level talent and haven't been successful in acquiring other talents to fill those holes

As currently constructed we have serious issue. That said, IMO with a couple of the right moves I do think we can contend next yr and in a big way. Cashman is going to have to step out of his comfort zone to do it, but it's not impossible.

The game is changing next yr and I think the teams that have enough speed, good contact hitters and are aggressive on the bases next yr are going to be a head of the game next yr.

I'd like another really good starter and a strong, backend of the BP LHed pitcher. We already have a lot of really good pitching, just need to fill those 2 spots.

If u can get rid of JD, even if u eat half and have to include a spec, do it. Save's about 11m next yr
    Torres has rebuilt enough value that he can headline a package for a very, very good asset like a starter or reliever. Saves about 10m
    Hicks to the sun, send a spec and eat 3m. Save 7M and Hicks is very movable for that.
    If U can move all of IKF's salary, do it. He could be a useful utility player or 3rd baseman.

Resign Judge, Rizzo and a LF/leadoff type. Benny or Nimmo would be my choice

My infield would be 1st Rizzo, 2nd Volpe, SS Peraza 3B DJ/ Cabrera C Trevino

I would find a better backup C so our platinum glove C doesn't wear down

Judge RF, Bader CF, Benny LF, Stanton DH

with the pitching we have, I think that team has a much better chance of winning next yr than the crap we saw this yr

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post

The last 10yrs have been total failures based on my expectations and what makes it 10X worse is there has been zero accountability from the front office. The only person that was held responsible was Girardi, hows that worked out?
    Cashman has constructed a shite show for a roster and every yr seem to be the same story, get to the playoffs, can't hit those big HRs in the playoffs and lose. Rinse, wash, repeat

We've actually gotten much better in the talent development and acquisition phase of the system. The problem with that, outside of Judge, all they young players we have developed have come up and looked really, really promising only to regress into players that are good enough to be on a championship roster. Especially since the Baby Bombers. They have screwed up a ton of high level talent and haven't been successful in acquiring other talents to fill those holes

As currently constructed we have serious issue. That said, IMO with a couple of the right moves I do think we can contend next yr and in a big way. Cashman is going to have to step out of his comfort zone to do it, but it's not impossible.

The game is changing next yr and I think the teams that have enough speed, good contact hitters and are aggressive on the bases next yr are going to be a head of the game next yr.

I'd like another really good starter and a strong, backend of the BP LHed pitcher. We already have a lot of really good pitching, just need to fill those 2 spots.

If u can get rid of JD, even if u eat half and have to include a spec, do it. Save's about 11m next yr
    Torres has rebuilt enough value that he can headline a package for a very, very good asset like a starter or reliever. Saves about 10m
    Hicks to the sun, send a spec and eat 3m. Save 7M and Hicks is very movable for that.
    If U can move all of IKF's salary, do it. He could be a useful utility player or 3rd baseman.

with the pitching we have, I think that team has a much better chance of winning next yr than the crap we saw this yr
    I agree with all this

I absolutely donít want JD here. And Iíd trade Torres as well. I do think our starters are fine, Iíd strengthen the bullpen with a big arm. That plus holdovers, and hopefully health, will be fine. I donít see this as some kind of ďall inĒ year. More like a year we should contend, if DJ and Benny are on the field. But I think we should absolutely be finding out what we may have in Cabrera, Peraza, and Volpe.

If even one or 2 pan out, we know what we need to go get going forward. Iíd avoid any huge signings, other than Judge
    Last edited by ShadyOne; 11-13-2022 at 06:32 PM.

resign judge and sign trea turner the yanks cannot go with 2 rookies in the infield next year..

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post

What exactly is much different with that team? The success of that team would pretty much hinge on Volpe/Peraza immediately stepping in and becoming impact players. Otherwise, you're looking at a team of Judge coming back down to Earth most likely, Stanton, Rizzo etc being another year older. Seems like the same complacent team they have had for three years now.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLES3658 View Post
    What exactly is much different with that team? The success of that team would pretty much hinge on Volpe/Peraza immediately stepping in and becoming impact players. Otherwise, you're looking at a team of Judge coming back down to Earth most likely, Stanton, Rizzo etc being another year older. Seems like the same complacent team they have had for three years now.
    Correct. Spects don't come with guarantees, only projections and speculations.

I am not ready to throw in the towel on Torres, he is young and imo has a lot of prime production left in the tank. I realize he has value and could be an attractive chip in trade proposals, but I feel that value could also be maximized with the Yankees. I am also not thrilled with the possibility of another season of on the job training, but am willing to wait and see.

I feel the Yankees should be taking a very serious look at Trea Turner.

Sell the Team, HAL!

Correct. Spects don't come with guarantees, only projections and speculations.

I am not ready to throw in the towel on Torres, he is young and imo has a lot of prime production left in the tank. I realize he has value and could be an attractive chip in trade proposals, but I feel that value could also be maximized with the Yankees. I am also not thrilled with the possibility of another season of on the job training, but am willing to wait and see.

I feel the Yankees should be taking a very serious look at Trea Turner.
    If they are doing that, they need to make room for one of Volpe/Peraza, get one or both of them learning 3B, or trading one now

If they are doing that, they need to make room for one of Volpe/Peraza, get one or both of them learning 3B, or trading one now
    I could see Volpe as the SS or even 3B. Peraza could be trade bait for an arm. I do think Peraza will be given a long look next year at SS while they groom Volpe. I could be wrong, just my gut level opinion.

Torres could be the trade bait with Volpe and Peraza on the IF.

As I mentioned above they should be taking a serious look at Turner.
    Last edited by drt1010; 11-14-2022 at 03:58 PM.

Sell the Team, HAL!

I could see Volpe as the SS or even 3B. Peraza could be trade bait for an arm. I do think Peraza will be given a long look next year at SS while they groom Volpe. I could be wrong, just my gut level opinion.

Torres could be the trade bait with Volpe and Peraza on the IF.

As I mentioned above they should be taking a serious look at Turner.
    I donít mind Turner at all. But if thatís a real possibility, other things need to be put into motion, or it makes no sense. If that was a target, then we should have had a bigger trade package out there, and actually got someone that made sense, instead of Montass. And then going forward, we arenít letting them all rot in AAA

Hal isn't handing out 2, 300m contracts this winter. It's just not his way, period.

unless Judge walks, Turner is a pipe dream.

I would bet the farm that they don't go after Turner because of the penalties. It would cost them 2 draft picks and 1m IFA dollars they have committed to Mayea and they aren't letting him go.

This is crazy to say, but IMO of the other big name players available I would say Correa would be the most likely because he isn't attached to any compensation. I really don't think they go down that route, but who knows

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast