Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 126 of 255 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128136176226 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,890 of 3821
  1. #1876
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    24,120
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Profar is emerging as a possibility for LF
    I donít hate that. Not really familiar with his outfield play, but I feel like heís a guy that might have some good offensive years in him

  2. #1877
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    52,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    It's so sad how many piss poor owners end up owning NYC teams

    Dolan- Worst owner in sports history, all sports
    Wilpons and Woody Johnson- battle for second and third.
    Yeah if we had competent ownership previously, the Mets could have built an all star team with 350 million dollars (before tax penalties). Instead they are spending that money only to be in the playoffs because depending on how things swing they might only be the 3rd best team in the NL East.

  3. #1878
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    47,503
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Profar is emerging as a possibility for LF
    Interesting. I do't love or hate it/. If they are looking for a more placeholder type of contract, he's a solid choice.



    Ignorance is bliss

  4. #1879
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    36,139
    I feel like Hicks is just as likely to have a good season in LF as Profar is. To me thatíd be making a move just to make a move. If they give a prospect to move Hicks money just to give that to Profar that would be annoying.

  5. #1880
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    47,503
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    I feel like Hicks is just as likely to have a good season in LF as Profar is. To me thatíd be making a move just to make a move. If they give a prospect to move Hicks money just to give that to Profar that would be annoying.
    That's is unfortunately a great point



    Ignorance is bliss

  6. #1881
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    18,383
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    Correa is highly overrated. I never liked the idea of him on a big money contract
    IDK. Do they give Platinum gloves out to scrubs? How about the ROY award? How about finishing 1st two consecutive yrs with the best Fld% at SS (2020-22)? First in defensive WAR? He is at or near the top in most defensive metrics.

    Is any player really worth 10, 20, 30, 40 million dollars per year to play a kids game. It's relative. Why don't we pay teachers on par with players? Scientists?

    Similar to Torres, I don't get the disdain for Correa. Yes he was an Astro, but is that any reason to disparage a stellar player and career?


    Sell the Team, HAL!

  7. #1882
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    24,120
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    IDK. Do they give Platinum gloves out to scrubs? How about the ROY award? How about finishing 1st two consecutive yrs with the best Fld% at SS (2020-22)? First in defensive WAR? He is at or near the top in most defensive metrics.

    Is any player really worth 10, 20, 30, 40 million dollars per year to play a kids game. It's relative. Why don't we pay teachers on par with players? Scientists?

    Similar to Torres, I don't get the disdain for Correa. Yes he was an Astro, but is that any reason to disparage a stellar player and career?
    Itís not ďdisdainĒ, or calling him a scrub. Youíre using those words, not me. Heís obviously very good

    I donít think heís long term 30M (or more) a year good. Thats all. I think when youíre talking that kind of money, he needs to be elite offensively. I donít feel he is.
    Last edited by ShadyOne; 12-11-2022 at 03:17 PM.

  8. #1883
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    18,383
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    Itís not ďdisdainĒ, or calling him a scrub. Youíre using those words, not me. Heís obviously very good

    I donít think heís long term 30M a year good. Thats all. I think when youíre talking that kind of money, he needs to be elite offensively. I donít feel he is.
    Please forgive my hyperbole, it's in the air the last few days.

    I guess if a top 3 SS isn't worth 30M per, one must wonder who is? You saw the contract Turner received as well as Tatis jr.. Lindor, Seager and Boegerts are all making similar money and I consider Correa a better all round player.


    Sell the Team, HAL!

  9. #1884
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    24,120
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Please forgive my hyperbole, it's in the air the last few days.

    I guess if a top 3 SS isn't worth 30M per, one must wonder who is? You saw the contract Turner received as well as Tatis jr.. Lindor, Seager and Boegerts are all making similar money and I consider Correa a better all round player.
    Is he ďtop 3Ē? Not sure about that.

    And I really donít care what other guys got. If itís an overpay, itís an overpay. Maybe thatís just my philosophy. I donít think paying a guy ďbecause itís market valueĒ usually makes sense. Iíd just find a cheaper option that gives you less, but still adequate production

    OR, in our case, see if the young guys can play

  10. #1885
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    68,631
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    Is he ďtop 3Ē? Not sure about that.

    And I really donít care what other guys got. If itís an overpay, itís an overpay. Maybe thatís just my philosophy. I donít think paying a guy ďbecause itís market valueĒ usually makes sense. Iíd just find a cheaper option that gives you less, but still adequate production
    I was questioning that statement myself and figured I'd pull up Fangraphs to sort shortstop production over the last three seasons:



    Looks to me as though there is a strong argument for Correa being a top 3 shortstop. These sort of rankings can change fairly quickly though as guys start aging and dealing with injuries and such.

    A few things stood out to me:

    1) I didn't expect Swanson to be so high up on the list (something to be said for staying healthy enough to be slotted in to the lineup nearly everyday, even if his bat is easily the least productive out of everyone on this list)

    2) Tatis, assuming that his elite production doesn't hinge on the usage of PEDs, would likely blow all these guys out of the water if he could stay on the field

    3) I didn't fully realize Lindor provided so much value with the glove

  11. #1886
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    18,383
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    Is he ďtop 3Ē? Not sure about that.

    And I really donít care what other guys got. If itís an overpay, itís an overpay. Maybe thatís just my philosophy. I donít think paying a guy ďbecause itís market valueĒ usually makes sense. Iíd just find a cheaper option that gives you less, but still adequate production

    OR, in our case, see if the young guys can play
    But it's "market value" that dictates what players in FA will get. So the market sets the bar. If your argument is ALL players are overpaid I agree. It's an obscene amount of money. However the MLB makes an obscene amount of money and players deserve their share.

    According to most metrics, particularly defense, Correa is in the top three.

    2021 Statistics: .279/.366/.485 with 26 home runs, 92 RBIs, 75 walks, .850 OPS, 131 OPS+, 20 defensive runs saved, 12 outs above average and a 5.8 fWAR.

    Those stats put him in the top spot, ahead of Tatis Jr. , Turner, Seager and Bogearts.

    Imo Tatis Jr may be the best in the bunch. He has huge upside, he needs to clear his head and focus on the game. He has the tools and the ability.


    Sell the Team, HAL!

  12. #1887
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    24,120
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    I was questioning that statement myself and figured I'd pull up Fangraphs to sort shortstop production over the last three seasons:



    Looks to me as though there is a strong argument for Correa being a top 3 shortstop. These sort of rankings can change fairly quickly though as guys start aging and dealing with injuries and such.

    A few things stood out to me:

    1) I didn't expect Swanson to be so high up on the list (something to be said for staying healthy enough to be slotted in to the lineup nearly everyday, even if his bat is easily the least productive out of everyone on this list)

    2) Tatis, assuming that his elite production doesn't hinge on the usage of PEDs, would likely blow all these guys out of the water if he could stay on the field

    3) I didn't fully realize Lindor provided so much value with the glove
    Didnít mean he definitely wasnít. More like thereís a lot of guys right there. A bunch of guys that could plead that case

  13. #1888
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    47,503
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    Is he ďtop 3Ē? Not sure about that.

    And I really donít care what other guys got. If itís an overpay, itís an overpay. Maybe thatís just my philosophy. I donít think paying a guy ďbecause itís market valueĒ usually makes sense. Iíd just find a cheaper option that gives you less, but still adequate production

    OR, in our case, see if the young guys can play
    Personally,

    Peraza
    Lindor
    Seager
    Turner
    Xander
    Correa



    From Lindor down that's my order



    Ignorance is bliss

  14. #1889
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    24,120
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    But it's "market value" that dictates what players in FA will get. So the market sets the bar. If your argument is ALL players are overpaid I agree. It's an obscene amount of money. However the MLB makes an obscene amount of money and players deserve their share.

    According to most metrics, particularly defense, Correa is in the top three.

    2021 Statistics: .279/.366/.485 with 26 home runs, 92 RBIs, 75 walks, .850 OPS, 131 OPS+, 20 defensive runs saved, 12 outs above average and a 5.8 fWAR.

    Those stats put him in the top spot, ahead of Tatis Jr. , Turner, Seager and Bogearts.

    Imo Tatis Jr may be the best in the bunch. He has huge upside, he needs to clear his head and focus on the game. He has the tools and the ability.
    Iím not saying guys shouldnít get paid. Just that Iíd choose other guys to give that deal to. The other post right above doesnít say Correa is definitively better than others. Itís a close list

    Because a guy has a 1-1.5 WAR advantage over another guy, doesnít mean you need a guy like that at a huge contract
    Last edited by ShadyOne; 12-11-2022 at 04:09 PM.

  15. #1890
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    17,191
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    Iím not saying guys shouldnít get paid. Just that Iíd choose other guys to give that deal to. The other post right above doesnít say Correa is definitively better than others. Itís a close list

    Because a guy has a 1-1.5 WAR advantage over another guy, doesnít mean you need a guy like that at a huge contract
    I don't think anyone is saying Correa isn't a good player, but considering the injury issues with the back that don't improve with age, is Correa the guy you want to commit 12plus yrs to at a minimum of 30m AAV. Is Correa the guy Judge want to hook his wagon to for the rest of his career? Thats what we're talking about if u sign Correa, he would be Robin to Judges Batman for the rest of their careers. Is Correa the best addition we can make for the next 4-5 yrs? I'm not sure about that ones

    Does Correa above any other give us the best shot at multiple WS with Judge for the rest of their careers.

    If I could get Correa on the same deal he signed last yr, it's a different conversation, IMO
    NYYNEW-TV Prospect Analyst

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •