Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 57 of 237 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    So I just got the run down of the Yanks off season plan from my buddy that works in the Yanks front office/scouting dept.

The big new and this is nothing new, they are very, very confident that Judge is coming back. Judge gave Hal his word that he would give him the last chance and they don't believe there is a number the Giants can offer that Hal won't be willing to at least come very close to matching. I was told if Judge hasn't signed with us by the end of the winter meetings, then there is reason to be concerned.

Hal also has committed to spending more to put better players around Judge.

They are very serious about going with Volpe, Peraza and Cabrera in the middle INF to start next yr.

They have checked in with all the top SS, but they would have more interest in Correa or Xander for 3rd base. If they can move enough money I would expect them to pick up another big name. Correa seems the most likely because that seems to be Judge's preference, but a big time trade isn't unlikely.

I would be shocked if they moved any of Volpe, Peraza, or Arias, but everything else would be on the table for the right player. I was told IF, huge if, they make a long term commitment in LF, there is a chance they use Dom to upgrade the rotation.

They are very, very concerned DJ won't be healthy to start the season. The medical staff doesn't think surgery would improve the toe and are trying to let it heal naturally.

They are going to move Torres and they are going to try very hard to unload Hicks and JD. They don't think it's going to be difficult to move Torres or Hicks, JD is a different story. Sounds like they will be willing to eat upwards of half his money AND include specs to off set some of the other money.

IKF is a bit of a different story, with DJ being hurt, they may keep him as a UTL guy. They feel he could play 2nd and 3rd at a high defensive level and still provide contact and speed offensively. If they think DJ's is going to be healthy or they get another 3rd baseman target, then they would move him. They have already had multiple team call with high interest in IKF, so they don't see any issues being able to move him.

They don't have their LFer on the roster in their opinion. They are all over the trade market and FA. Sounds like Cabrera as the everyday LFer would be their last opinion. They have checked in with all the available names including Conforto, Bellinger ect. Conforto is higher on their wish list than expected. They would be very interested in him on a 1yr prove it type deal, with the plan of giving Dom the job in 24. They are really looking for a high contact/OBP type. Benny is still probably their top choice and they don't think he'll get anything close to 100M. Brantley remains a favorite of the anal dept and could interest the Yanks if their top option become to expensive.

They are all over the place in the pitching market. They are really confident in their top 4, including Montas. Montas shoulder was never healthy since they acquired him. They truly believe that he'll be the guy they hoped for when they traded for him. He's also been working with Blake a lot remotely, especially on his off-speed stuff. Their top priority after Judge is the rotation. They want another top starter and are going to do everything they can to get one. They really, really like Rodon and would really like to get him, but he's attached to a QO. They are also definitely in on Verlander because he's not attached.

Apparently, the Yankees and Taillon have mutual interest in him coming back. Sounds like he's willing to take less money to come back. I think this is going to be very interesting to see what they do, because there are so many different directions.

The asking price for Burnes is way, way higher than they are willing to go. Supposedly it's higher than what Cincy got for Castillo. The price for Woodruff is also considered sky high, but for some reason they still think it's possible. My guess would be that they really want Torres, but it would take a lot more than that.

In the BP, King and Gil are already back throwing. King is expected to be 100% by ST with Gil to follow. They really like the kid they picked up from the Pirates. He's more Lo than Holmes, but they believe they can fix him.

They also are looking for a strong LHed BP arm. They have already talked to Chaffin.

It's nothing we really haven't heard before and as always FWIW
    You are saying all 3 of Volpe, Peraza and Cabrera will be in the infield? Not happening!

It will be Rizzo, Torres, Peraza, JD

And if they donít sign Judge then Correa is the most likely player of the SS to be signed.

It sounds like your buddy has has ideas he wishes forÖ.. but in reality they are not going to be able to move sign Judge and then move JDís money as well. No way Hal does that. If Judge is not signed then yes it could happen.

They could trade Torres much like what they did with Roberto Kelly back in 92 offseason when they traded him for Paulie. But I doubt they move him. Torres played much better in 2022.
    Probably the best Pearl Jam concert performance
    PINKPOP 1992

1. Even Flow
    2. Why Go
    3. Jeremy
    4. Alive
    5. Black
    6.Leash
    7.Once
    8. Porch
    9. Rockin the Free World

Yankees need more pitching IMO.

Iíd just go after Carlos Rodon and take your chances with his injury history. He is only 29 and he is the classic FA signing they would have made back in 2000-2010

And obviously resign Judge and go with the same basic team but with Peraza at SS.

1. Cole
    2. Sevy
    3. Rodon
    4. Cortes
    5. Montas
    Last edited by rrzubnyy; 11-27-2022 at 07:09 AM.
    Probably the best Pearl Jam concert performance
    PINKPOP 1992

1. Even Flow
    2. Why Go
    3. Jeremy
    4. Alive
    5. Black
    6.Leash
    7.Once
    8. Porch
    9. Rockin the Free World

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    You are saying all 3 of Volpe, Peraza and Cabrera will be in the infield? Not happening!

And if they donít sign Judge then Correa is the most likely player of the SS to be signed.

It sounds like your buddy has has ideas he wishes forÖ.. but in reality they are not going to be able to move sign Judge and then move JDís money as well. No way Hal does that. If Judge is not signed then yes it could happen.

They could trade Torres much like what they did with Roberto Kelly back in 92 offseason when they traded him for Paulie. But I doubt they move him. Torres played much better in 2022.
    No, he was saying that if Torres is trades we would see Peraza/Volpe up the middle or Peraza/Cabrera up the middle. It wasn't all 3 playing the IF it ws two young players at SS and 2B

This **** is soooooo boring right now, a snooze fest. I was hoping things would get moving before the winter meetings but that looks like it isn't happening.

I also think the longer Judge waits, the less chance he returns. My guess is he's just hanging with family and talking it out this weekend. If they don't have him signed by the WM, I think it's a crap shoot.

Ignorance is bliss

Iíd just go after Carlos Rodon and take your chances with his injury history. He is only 29 and he is the classic FA signing they would have made back in 2000-2010

And obviously resign Judge and go with the same basic team but with Peraza at SS.

1. Cole
    2. Sevy
    3. Rodon
    4. Cortes
    5. Montas
    I agree. That also leaves you with German and Schmidt as insurance or trade pieces.

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    No, he was saying that if Torres is trades we would see Peraza/Volpe up the middle or Peraza/Cabrera up the middle. It wasn't all 3 playing the IF it ws two young players at SS and 2B

This **** is soooooo boring right now, a snooze fest. I was hoping things would get moving before the winter meetings but that looks like it isn't happening.

I also think the longer Judge waits, the less chance he returns. My guess is he's just hanging with family and talking it out this weekend. If they don't have him signed by the WM, I think it's a crap shoot.
    Every day I'm hoping to read that Judge has signed, but I only know what has been told to us by various rumors:
    1) A few weeks ago, Yankees Hot Stove said that it was looking like Judge's contract wouldn't be signed until December 15th, after the winter meetings.
    2) When Judge met with SF on Tuesday, the reports were that he would be given an offer by the end of the week
    3) Day's contacts have said all along that Hal would get the last chance to match / beat the offer
    4) Hal Steinbrenner has taken over negotiations and will go all out to sign Judge

Putting it all together, I'd say that SF makes an offer in the next few days. Judge slow walks it until the winter meetings to see whether there are any surprise suitors and he takes the best offer he gets back to Hal and this all gets resolved between the end of the winter meetings and Christmas.

Of course, I'm still going to hope for him to sign today and for the Yankees to make some other positive moves today. At least we resolved Rizzo, but another move or two would help with the boredom and muffle a tiny bit of the anxiety over Judge.

I am guessing you nailed it.

Ignorance is bliss

How about Brandon Nimmo for LF? Benintendi isnít a CF option. With Bader a FA after next year itíd be nice to get a guy with CF ability too.

I donít think Iíd want to lock in third base long-term because I really, really want Devers next year. Holding out hope we could get him.

Iíd be fine starting the year with:

C Trevino
    1B Rizzo
    2B Cabrera
    3B Donaldson (ugh!!)
    SS Peraza
    LF Bader
    CF Nimmo
    RF Judge
    DH Stanton

Backup C - Higgy
    Utility - IKF
    4th OF - Florial
    Bench bat: Carpenter (re-signed)

Injured list: DJ
    AAA for midseason call up: Volpe

Plan on Volpe taking over shortstop or second base midseason and you DFA Donaldson at that point (Cabrera to 3B). Banking on there always being some sort of injury elsewhere by the time DJ is fully healthy to play.

Then in 2024 you try to sign Devers for 3B and put Dominguez in LF to replace Bader.

C Trevino
    1B Rizzo
    2B Volpe
    3B Devers
    SS Peraza
    LF Dominguez
    CF Nimmo
    RF Judge
    DH Stanton

Backup C - Higgy
    Utility - Cabrera
    4th OF - Florial
    Bench bat: DJ

I have a question about Judge. Most here want him back with the club, we've heard that Hal get's the last word. But where is the cut off? What if SF (or another club for that matter) offers him let's say over 400 million for 10 years? Are you guy's really willing to pay a man over 40 million dollars a year for 10 years? Especially a man who is 31 and has a very large body that in all probability will not age well.

Granted Hal has the money that's the least of my concern's ,my concern is, when you pay ONE man 40 million dollars a year and you're already paying Cole, Stanton etc. a nice buck what's left?

And I'm not talking about jersey's, putting fanny's in the seats or Judge's chambers, I'm talking purely from a baseball product on the field point

Quote Originally Posted by runnermjr1296 View Post
    I have a question about Judge. Most here want him back with the club, we've heard that Hal get's the last word. But where is the cut off? What if SF (or another club for that matter) offers him let's say over 400 million for 10 years? Are you guy's really willing to pay a man over 40 million dollars a year for 10 years? Especially a man who is 31 and has a very large body that in all probability will not age well.

Granted Hal has the money that's the least of my concern's ,my concern is, when you pay ONE man 40 million dollars a year and you're already paying Cole, Stanton etc. a nice buck what's left?

And I'm not talking about jersey's, putting fanny's in the seats or Judge's chambers, I'm talking purely from a baseball product on the field point
    If Judge wants 10? I let him go. I wouldn't go above 8. I'd rather they try 7 for 290

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by runnermjr1296 View Post

Based on my understanding, i highly doubt the Yanks would go 10yrs. Hal will go 40m AAV +.

My guess is 8/328, with 2 opt outs, a full N/T, career incentive numbers, like Arods deal and some kind performance or team option for a 9th yr.

LOL Nicky, no i'm not saying the infield would be Rizzo plus the 3 kids. While I do think if they keep all 3, we could see that alignment occasionally. They absolutely intend on going with the kids up the middle. If kept, Peraza will be the opening day SS, as he should IMO. While I think they consider Volpe straight out of ST, more than likely they'll keep him in AAA till May, so they get an extra yr.

If Volpe isn't the opening day 2nd baseman and DJ's not healthy, I think they'll go with some combo of IKF/Cabrera or a guy like Frazier who would be come another utility guy when Volpe comes up.

I bet the farm Torres is gone. Yes he played better this yr, but they think Volpe can put up very similar numbers, with much better defensive range and the speed to take advantage of the new rules. Torres will go for some kind of roster upgrade, probably a starter or an elite BP arm.

They are going to try and move JD, even if they have to eat a fair portion of his salary and include a spec or 2.

1. Cole
    2. Sevy
    3. Rodon
    4. Cortes
    5. Montas
    I agree about the pitching, but i think it's very, very unlikely the sign anyone attached to a QO.

Rodon is looking for 6-7yrs at 35m AAV. I just don't see them giving him that with his injury history. IMO, it much more likely they trade for someone

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    Every day I'm hoping to read that Judge has signed, but I only know what has been told to us by various rumors:
    1) A few weeks ago, Yankees Hot Stove said that it was looking like Judge's contract wouldn't be signed until December 15th, after the winter meetings.
    2) When Judge met with SF on Tuesday, the reports were that he would be given an offer by the end of the week
    3) Day's contacts have said all along that Hal would get the last chance to match / beat the offer
    4) Hal Steinbrenner has taken over negotiations and will go all out to sign Judge

Putting it all together, I'd say that SF makes an offer in the next few days. Judge slow walks it until the winter meetings to see whether there are any surprise suitors and he takes the best offer he gets back to Hal and this all gets resolved between the end of the winter meetings and Christmas.

Of course, I'm still going to hope for him to sign today and for the Yankees to make some other positive moves today. At least we resolved Rizzo, but another move or two would help with the boredom and muffle a tiny bit of the anxiety over Judge.
    Nailed it. I would say the time frame for Judge to sign with us in by the end of the winter meetings. If it goes longer than that, based on Judge saying publicly that he want to sign early so the team has time to build around him, our chances will decrease by the day. I guess we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    How about Brandon Nimmo for LF? Benintendi isnít a CF option. With Bader a FA after next year itíd be nice to get a guy with CF ability too.

I donít think Iíd want to lock in third base long-term because I really, really want Devers next year. Holding out hope we could get him.

Iíd be fine starting the year with:

C Trevino
    1B Rizzo
    2B Cabrera
    3B Donaldson (ugh!!)
    SS Peraza
    LF Bader
    CF Nimmo
    RF Judge
    DH Stanton

Backup C - Higgy
    Utility - IKF
    4th OF - Florial
    Bench bat: Carpenter (re-signed)

Injured list: DJ
    AAA for midseason call up: Volpe

Plan on Volpe taking over shortstop or second base midseason and you DFA Donaldson at that point (Cabrera to 3B). Banking on there always being some sort of injury elsewhere by the time DJ is fully healthy to play.

Then in 2024 you try to sign Devers for 3B and put Dominguez in LF to replace Bader.

C Trevino
    1B Rizzo
    2B Volpe
    3B Devers
    SS Peraza
    LF Dominguez
    CF Nimmo
    RF Judge
    DH Stanton

Backup C - Higgy
    Utility - Cabrera
    4th OF - Florial
    Bench bat: DJ
    I like the idea, but again Nimmo is attached to a QO and unless Judge walks I don't think they do that.

I think Bader is easily one of the best defensive CF's in BB. With the how well he performed, especially in the playoffs and clearly showing he can play in NY, I would bet he's in their plans beyond just next yr.

If they sign someone for LF, based on what I'm hearing they would like go Benny, Yoshida who they are very,very interested in or Brantley on a 1yr deal. I would lean towards a trade though, because I 100% think Dom is ticketed for LF. If Dom continues his tear he was on in the 2nd half, he has a solid chance to hit his way on this team late next yr. It would likely be like Peraza this yr, with an eye towards him taking that job in 24.

1 other thing that I'm hearing is Boras is telling teams Bellinger is only interested in a 1yr prove it type deal. His speed, versatility, athleticism, elite defense and being LHed are things they like. If they feel like the hitting coach could fix him, along with a change of scenery, they'll have some kind of interest. Not something I would be a fan of, but I can see Cash doing it, unfortunately

The Pirates are planning on moving Reynolds and we know how much the Yanks love him. I wouldn't rule out them trading Dom for him.

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    I like the idea, but again Nimmo is attached to a QO and unless Judge walks I don't think they do that.

I think Bader is easily one of the best defensive CF's in BB. With the how well he performed, especially in the playoffs and clearly showing he can play in NY, I would bet he's in their plans beyond just next yr.

If they sign someone for LF, based on what I'm hearing they would like go Benny, Yoshida who they are very,very interested in or Brantley on a 1yr deal. I would lean towards a trade though, because I 100% think Dom is ticketed for LF. If Dom continues his tear he was on in the 2nd half, he has a solid chance to hit his way on this team late next yr. It would likely be like Peraza this yr, with an eye towards him taking that job in 24.

1 other thing that I'm hearing is Boras is telling teams Bellinger is only interested in a 1yr prove it type deal. His speed, versatility, athleticism, elite defense and being LHed are things they like. If they feel like the hitting coach could fix him, along with a change of scenery, they'll have some kind of interest. Not something I would be a fan of, but I can see Cash doing it, unfortunately

The Pirates are planning on moving Reynolds and we know how much the Yanks love him. I wouldn't rule out them trading Dom for him.
    Dom for Reynolds? No thank you

I know itís a dice roll, and odds arenít good and all, but the kid starting to look like the real deal. I want to see what we have there. I wouldnít entertain trading him, unless itís for a real star