Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 41 of 238 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OhSoSlick View Post
    Okay you can argue semantics if you want. Bottom line is his sample size is small for his GG and he doesn't have a strong arm, so how you can make the case he should be at 3B is quite odd.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    I don't disagree. Not semantics. My point, did they need to spend $21M on JD if IKF could have filled the spot? Why spend on an aging player past his prime. I simply question the decision. IKF's rookie season he played more 3B than any other position. Same with his GG season. Not until 2021 did he convert fulltime to SS.

Furthermore, why did they ship a young and capable Gio?

Sell the Team, HAL!

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLES3658 View Post
    I donít dislike the players as much as I dislike the people making the decisions to one, acquire them and two, play them. Itís not IKFs fault a couple idiots thought itíd be a good idea to hype him up as an improvement and a starter on one of the best teams. Donaldson was 37 when they traded for him, it is fully expected that a guy that age is going to fall off a cliff. Thatís on Cashman for making that move. The only guys I donít like are the guys who donít try, which I can see with Hicks and Torres. Or guys who have loser attitudes like Cole.
    Yep. agree 100%

Sell the Team, HAL!

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by EAGLES3658 View Post
    I donít dislike the players as much as I dislike the people making the decisions to one, acquire them and two, play them. Itís not IKFs fault a couple idiots thought itíd be a good idea to hype him up as an improvement and a starter on one of the best teams. Donaldson was 37 when they traded for him, it is fully expected that a guy that age is going to fall off a cliff. Thatís on Cashman for making that move. The only guys I donít like are the guys who donít try, which I can see with Hicks and Torres. Or guys who have loser attitudes like Cole.
    I did like JD until he started showboating and getting thrown out for dumb decisions.
    I wouldn't dislike IKF if he wasn't starting or being sold as a good defender.

You make a great point about those bringing these guys too the team.
    The fact that Hicks effectively threw his manager under the bus, cried about playing time and is still on the team, speaks volumes.
    You want to win? Sign winners. Not whiners.

OH!

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    My feeling is, he won a GG at 3B. He's average at SS and 2B but he can also catch. Having a utility guy who can play all IF positions and catch, is a good bench guy IMO. He's also a guy who can move a runner and steal some bases.
    I would't want him playing frequently but he would provide flexibility.
    Cabrera would be my "starting utility" player.
    IMO, if they think Volpe and Peraza will be ready to man the middle INF by the early part of the season, I think IKF is gone. He's not a bad player and if another player views him as a starting caliber 2nd or 3rd baseman, I think we get a descent return

If Volpe doesn't make the team out of ST, DJ and Cabrera probably split time between 2nd and 3rd until he is ready

Day, help me out here. The signing period for International players starts in January. So lets say the yanks sign Mayea quickly. Jan 3rd? What's to stop them from having a handshake agreement in place with someone that has a QO attached to them? If they sign Turner Jan 11th for instance, would MLB void the contract they have signed with Mayea? Just trying to wrap my head around the penalties of signing a player with a QO

Quote Originally Posted by RJYANKS12 View Post
    Day, help me out here. The signing period for International players starts in January. So lets say the yanks sign Mayea quickly. Jan 3rd? What's to stop them from having a handshake agreement in place with someone that has a QO attached to them? If they sign Turner Jan 11th for instance, would MLB void the contract they have signed with Mayea? Just trying to wrap my head around the penalties of signing a player with a QO
    I don't have a specific answer to your question, but rather a general guidelines as established by MLB and the players union.

Teams used to surrender first-round picks to sign a qualified free agent. That is no longer the case. They surrender lower draft picks now, but similar to the compensation rules, the exact penalty depends on several factors.

Here are the penalties:

Signing team paid competitive balance tax: Forfeit second- and fifth-highest draft picks, plus $1 million in international bonus money.

Signing team received revenue sharing:*Forfeit third-highest draft pick.

All other teams: Forfeit second-highest draft pick and $500,000 in international bonus money.

The Yankees fall under the first.

Sell the Team, HAL!

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    I don't have a specific answer to your question, but rather a general guidelines as established by MLB and the players union.

Teams used to surrender first-round picks to sign a qualified free agent. That is no longer the case. They surrender lower draft picks now, but similar to the compensation rules, the exact penalty depends on several factors.

Here are the penalties:

Signing team paid competitive balance tax: Forfeit second- and fifth-highest draft picks, plus $1 million in international bonus money.

Signing team received revenue sharing:*Forfeit third-highest draft pick.

All other teams: Forfeit second-highest draft pick and $500,000 in international bonus money.

The Yankees fall under the first.
    Correct, the penalties are understood. I just don't know how the timing works. Can they retroactively force you to lose someone you already have signed? To me it would make sense that if you sign a QO player this year, you lose $1 million for next year.

EDIT: No they can't. So the monetary penalty wouldn't come into play until January 2024
    Last edited by RJYANKS12; 11-17-2022 at 04:49 PM.

The more I think about it, the more it doesn't matter to me. I get that Mayea is supposed to be this unreal talent, but there are always unreal talents in the IFA spect pool. We have 2 of them in Arias and Dom. IF Hal is going to spend, then let's spend and QO be damned. I'd rather have Turner or Boegarts than Correa.

Also, you can trade IFA money. Send IKF packing for that money you lose by signing the QO player.

The more I think about it, the more it doesn't matter to me. I get that Mayea is supposed to be this unreal talent, but there are always unreal talents in the IFA spect pool. We have 2 of them in Arias and Dom. IF Hal is going to spend, then let's spend and QO be damned.[B] I'd rather have Turner or Boegarts than Correa.[/B]

Also, you can trade IFA money. Send IKF packing for that money you lose by signing the QO player.
    I agree. I happen to like all three and believe any would improve the club. But point taken.

Sell the Team, HAL!

Jeter, Torre, Sabathia talk '22 Yankees, Judge, Boone
    October 26th, 2022
    Bryan Hoch@BryanHoch

Derek Jeter is all for Aaron Booneís return as the Yankeesí manager. He would just prefer that the team leaves the 2004 American League Championship Series in the past.

Jeter laughed on Wednesday when asked about the Yankees, down three games to none in the best-of-seven ALCS against the Astros, resorting to viewing highlight videos of the improbable '04 Red Sox comeback at his teamís expense.
    https://www.mlb.com/news/derek-jeter...n-2022-yankees

Sell the Team, HAL!

I Don't know for sure. I believe teams can trade for up to 1m IFA dollars but it has to be done before the signing period starts on J2nd.

To my understanding, if the Yanks signed Mayea without getting extra IFA money, then signed a FA attached to a QO, Mayea would have to agree to adjust his bonus or immediately become a FA again.

I believe it would be a lot like what happened with the Yankees and Wander Franco. They had him locked up for 6.8 M and they lost some IFA money and Franco is a Ray. Mayea has already adjusted his bonus once according to KB from 5M plus down to the low 4s, i highly doubt he takes more of a cut when he already is taking a discount to sign with us.

I can tell you this though, the Yanks scouting and development guys are every bit as high, if not higher, on Mayea than they were with Dom and Arias.. The biggest difference is Mayea is going to be a premier defender in CF and WILL stick there long term. The are very, very high on the bat as well, because the swing speed, hand speed, contact and barrel awareness comp very favorably to a young Sheff. Mayea is also putting up the kind of exit velo's in the 110 plus range that leads them to believe the power will be plus or better down the road.

If they are as high on Mayea as reported, they aren't going to let him go somewhere else. Another factor to consider, with a little less than 2 months to go, all the top IFA guys from this class are already committed to other team. The Yanks would be left trying to sign C level guys to have any kind of IFA class.

I would lean towards Hal keeping the payroll below 270 if his only choices are guys attached to a QO

OhSoSlick is offline Formerly RCSownsU - PSDs Sexiest Fireman
    Judge wins the 2022 AL MVP

He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

Quote Originally Posted by OhSoSlick View Post
    Judge wins the 2022 AL MVP

should have been unanimous i bet those 2 voters who gave ohtani first place votes are on the west coast and angels fans...

OhSoSlick is offline Formerly RCSownsU - PSDs Sexiest Fireman
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny ny View Post
    should have been unanimous i bet those 2 voters who gave ohtani first place votes are on the west coast and angels fans...
    Ok

He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

Judge: ďFor me, I want to win. Iíve come pretty close with the Yankees. Ö My ultimate, most important thing is I want to be on a team with a winning culture and a commitment to winning. First and foremost, itís a winning culture and a winning future.Ē

ó Bryan Hoch (@BryanHoch) November 18, 2022