Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 33 of 232 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by EAGLES3658 View Post
    Based on those estimates that would be 41.5M for Judge vs 55M for Boegaerts and Rodon or 48M for Boegaerts and Contreras. Give me two great players over one. Plus, Judge is huge and older and most likely won't age well. He has also sucked in the playoffs. It is time to move on IMO.
    Bogaerts and Contreras/Rodon are very good players but great is a stretch. Two/three of those players are not good enough to carry a team. Judge is.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoba Rama View Post
    Bogaerts and Contreras/Rodon are very good players but great is a stretch. Two/three of those players are not good enough to carry a team. Judge is.
    That is presuming he stays healthy and had a year similar to this one

A down year and heís not carrying anything

Boegaets and Rodon/Contreras combined is better than just Judge though. Boegaerts and Contreras are both probably top 5 at their positions. Judge is good enough to carry the team but never does it when it matters most.

Also, I get why the Yankees would want Judge back from a business standpoint, he is a superstar. I am purely talking about a baseball/winning standpoint. If they give Judge 40M a year then what changes the next year or two compared to the last few seasons? They won't have much money left to make any other significant additions. Therefore they are the same team who gets completely dominated in the playoffs every year. Then you have to figure Judge doesn't age well with his size and by the time the young guys like Volpe/Peraza/Dominguez are ready to carry the team, then the team is being held back by the $100M a year going to some combination of old/washed/injured players in Judge, Stanton, and Cole. It just seems like a lose/lose to me.

Yes, it sucks to pretty much throw away next season. But that is better than significantly hampering the next 4-5 seasons after that.

Boegaets and Rodon/Contreras combined is better than just Judge though. Boegaerts and Contreras are both probably top 5 at their positions. Judge is good enough to carry the team but never does it when it matters most.

Also, I get why the Yankees would want Judge back from a business standpoint, he is a superstar. I am purely talking about a baseball/winning standpoint. If they give Judge 40M a year then what changes the next year or two compared to the last few seasons? They won't have much money left to make any other significant additions. Therefore they are the same team who gets completely dominated in the playoffs every year. Then you have to figure Judge doesn't age well with his size and by the time the young guys like Volpe/Peraza/Dominguez are ready to carry the team, then the team is being held back by the $100M a year going to some combination of old/washed/injured players in Judge, Stanton, and Cole. It just seems like a lose/lose to me.

Yes, it sucks to pretty much throw away next season. But that is better than significantly hampering the next 4-5 seasons after that.
    Honest Question. Since you like the Eagles, are you also a Phillies Fan?

rodon a pitcher so you should not put him in the conversation with hitters i would take judge over xander and wilson combined any day of the week

Anyone know the name of the main bar in "Mean Streets"? It's a fun random question, related to either this or the prospect thread.

Ignorance is bliss

Volpe bar. It's in SoHo

Sell the Team, HAL!

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    Honest Question. Since you like the Eagles, are you also a Phillies Fan?
    I've been posting here and rooting for the Yankees for about 15 years....so, no.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny ny View Post
    rodon a pitcher so you should not put him in the conversation with hitters i would take judge over xander and wilson combined any day of the week
    I'm not going to say you are wrong, I just think there is some logic to improving multiple positions and having a deeper and more consistent lineup. More than anything, I think this team needs a shake up. If they give Judge 40M a year then they don't have much money left to improve the team...so what changes? It's be the same old get dominated by a well rounded and deep team in the playoffs as every other year. This team very clearly needs major changes IMO.

I'm gonna have to disagree that either of these guys is top 5 at his position. Additionally, the true consideration for the Yankees is as follows. How much better is this guy than what we already have or could replace them with. In Judges case, there is not viable replacement on the market who could even come close to his value. In Rodon's case, he would be replacing their 5th starter, so I suppose that would be Domingo German. A clear upgrade... but German is more than good enough in that spot, plus the Yankees have Schmidt already, King should be healthy, and Gil will be back my mid-season. They really don't need Rodon like they need Judge. As for Bogaerts, not a great defender and how much better will his bat be over the next 5 years than whoever put of Peraza, Cabrera, and Volpe emerges as the guy? Im not convinced that based on WAR he will be better at all than who the Yankees already have in their system.

Again, Judge presents a HUGE upgrade over what they have without him. The others represent minor upgrades. They will not increase the raw number of wins for this team like Judge will... and Judge comes in cheaper than the two of them. I am for quality over quantity, especially in this case.

Just realized I forgot Contreras. He's a significant downgrade on defense which matters at catcher more than just about any other position in the field. Yes, he's got the bat, but again, by WAR and how many games this guy will win for the Yankees compared to Trevino, I'm not sure he's worth that kind of money.

Talkin' Yanks
    &
    Talkiní Baseball
    @TalkinYanks
    &
    @TalkinBaseball_

2m
    Anthony Rizzo is the #1 free agent target for the Houston Astros, per
    @Ken_Rosenthal

Huh, the best run team in the AL has ID him as their number 1 target.

Hey Johnny NY, how are you going to root for your Astro's if they sign the guy you don't even want the team you dislike to sign? U just were wanting Rizzo to play for your team, makes complete sense

We're gonna be in a tough place if we lose Rizzo

I'm gonna have to disagree that either of these guys is top 5 at his position. Additionally, the true consideration for the Yankees is as follows. How much better is this guy than what we already have or could replace them with. In Judges case, there is not viable replacement on the market who could even come close to his value. In Rodon's case, he would be replacing their 5th starter, so I suppose that would be Domingo German. A clear upgrade... but German is more than good enough in that spot, plus the Yankees have Schmidt already, King should be healthy, and Gil will be back my mid-season. They really don't need Rodon like they need Judge. As for Bogaerts, not a great defender and how much better will his bat be over the next 5 years than whoever put of Peraza, Cabrera, and Volpe emerges as the guy? Im not convinced that based on WAR he will be better at all than who the Yankees already have in their system.

Again, Judge presents a HUGE upgrade over what they have without him. The others represent minor upgrades. They will not increase the raw number of wins for this team like Judge will... and Judge comes in cheaper than the two of them. I am for quality over quantity, especially in this case.

Just realized I forgot Contreras. He's a significant downgrade on defense which matters at catcher more than just about any other position in the field. Yes, he's got the bat, but again, by WAR and how many games this guy will win for the Yankees compared to Trevino, I'm not sure he's worth that kind of money.
    Not they they are locks as top 5 for their positions but both are borderline top 5. I wouldn't look at Rodon as the 5th starter as he'd arguably be their best starter. Not a major need but German probably shouldn't be a starter and is better in the bullpen, Gil is hurt and isn't starting material anyways, I would like to see Schmidt get a chance at a rotation spot. Catcher defense is certainly important but how much of a trade off with the bat is worth it? Trevino was bad down the stretch and completely non competitive in the playoffs. At what point do you at least need some offense?

I'm not completely advocating for Boegaets and Rodon/Contreras in specifically. It was just a quick observation based on those contract projections that two would be better than one IMO. Also, the majority of this opinion also hinges on Judge's age and size which I do not believe will age well. If Judge was 27/28 then he'd be a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Volpe bar. It's in SoHo
    Yes!!!!!

Volpe's strip bar
    Hadn't seen that flick in 30 years, so good.

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Talkin' Yanks
    &
    Talkiní Baseball
    @TalkinYanks
    &
    @TalkinBaseball_

2m
    Anthony Rizzo is the #1 free agent target for the Houston Astros, per
    @Ken_Rosenthal

Huh, the best run team in the AL has ID him as their number 1 target.

Hey Johnny NY, how are you going to root for your Astro's if they sign the guy you don't even want the team you dislike to sign? U just were wanting Rizzo to play for your team, makes complete sense

We're gonna be in a tough place if we lose Rizzo
    Nah I heard Steve "bye-bye" Balboni is considering a come back. He's been working out hard and looks to be in great shape. Cashman is on it.

Sell the Team, HAL!