Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 483 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cuzi View Post
    That is such a stupid way to look at it. You can't ignore whats available and infront of you now because someone MIGHT be available in the future. Even if they do make it to FA there's no guarantee you get them. So plan A falls through and you already passed on plan B.
    I didn’t get the feeling that Hoyer was saying that he is counting on players becoming FAs, only that they have to do their due diligence in forecasting some of that. But I dont feel he meant they weren’t gonna do something right now.
    Romans 5:8 but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us

Which means they will avoid spending money in the present for the possibility to spend it later. And if that possibility doesnt materialize... then what?

Look to the future in trades. Look to present in FA.
    No, i just think it means theyre not going to overspend in one offseason with multiple multi year contracts..

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    I didn’t get the feeling that Hoyer was saying that he is counting on players becoming FAs, only that they have to do their due diligence in forecasting some of that. But I dont feel he meant they weren’t gonna do something right now.
    I dont take it as them not doing anything right now either.

It's simply a dumb way to go about business. You look at what you need and what's available now. Then you weigh the options and if you dont like what's available and think its a bad investment then you dont do it. What's potentially available in the future shouldn't even enter into the equation.

Ask any billionaire how they got their money and they wont say "I saved up."

2022-2023 Cubs Offseason Free Agent & Trade Thread

A lot will say “my parents died” or “my parents hooked me up.”

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Maybe. But then follow the chain to where the money started and the answer wont be "I saved up."

It's investment after investment to the point where you are making so much damn money you can't spend it fast enough.

I dont take it as them not doing anything right now either.

It's simply a dumb way to go about business. You look at what you need and what's available now. Then you weigh the options and if you dont like what's available and think its a bad investment then you dont do it. What's potentially available in the future shouldn't even enter into the equation.

I don’t think Hoyer feels any different than you do. Did you watch the press conference?
    Romans 5:8 but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    You really don’t like people with money do you?

Maybe. But then follow the chain to where the money started and the answer wont be "I saved up."

It's investment after investment to the point where you are making so much damn money you can't spend it fast enough.
    I know. I was making a joke about how they’d answer that question if they were being honest.

2022-2023 Cubs Offseason Free Agent & Trade Thread

You really don’t like people with money do you?
    I don’t like or dislike them just for being rich. I find that most of them benefitted greatly from leveraging existing wealth in the American system we all support without contributing as much to our system as I’d prefer, but I don’t automatically dislike anyone for being rich. I certainly don’t think it’s automatically a thing to admire either.

When it comes to the extremely wealthy I mostly care how they help or hurt society at large. If someone can be incredibly wealthy and have a very positive impact when considering all the good and bad they do, then good for them. I just think, unfortunately, that’s not the norm.

It’s not really baseball related though.
    Last edited by CP_414; 10-11-2022 at 02:22 PM.

Does anyone read these letters and think “wow, that was great. I’m glad he sent it.”

Lots of nothing and one sentence about “being active in free agency” that everyone will quote if they aren’t active in free agency (I assume they will be).

I don’t think Hoyer feels any different than you do. Did you watch the press conference?
    I'm just going by what was posted in this thread. I didn't watch what he said personally. But there is pretty obviously a disconnect between what I feel and what Hoyer feels because I wouldn't have gone into the season with a large sum of money available to put into the roster not being spent.

Whether I'm spending that money on a 1 year deal for Rodon or a multiyear deal for Correa, it's getting spent.

If Hoyer didn't want to spend whatever amount on Correa because he didn't like the investment for the future, fine. That's his decision. But not spending it on a short term deal like Rodon lost the opportunity to trade him at the deadline for something to help in the future.
    Last edited by cuzi; 10-11-2022 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    No, i just think it means theyre not going to overspend in one offseason with multiple multi year contracts..

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    What does “overspend” mean to you? If the players are there this year and they have the money to spend, why keep it. Next year they lose Heyward’s contract, for sure. Maybe Happ and Stroman. They also lose Hendricks. So why can’t they spend this year, what is needed to compete? And they can win in 23’. They just have to make a commitment to spend money like a major revenue team.

Which means they will avoid spending money in the present for the possibility to spend it later. And if that possibility doesnt materialize... then what?

Look to the future in trades. Look to present in FA.
    You can't just look to the present in FA if you're signing a guy for a lot of money for 8-10 years. You have to factor every single season over the length of the deal. Hoyer is trying to build a sustainable winner. Signing a bad deal to make next year better is illogical. A team like the Cubs has a chance to sign usually 1 or 2 big contracts on a payroll. It's a franchise-defining decision over the course of an entire decade. It's the biggest decision any franchise will make. The wrong decision can sink several wins from a team per season. The difference in the Angels investing in Pujols vs Trout is massive. So you better be very confident that the player you choose is the right player. This is basically what Hoyer is saying. He's not saying they aren't going to spend this offseason.

I'm just going by what was posted in this thread. I didn't watch what he said personally. But there is pretty obviously a disconnect between what I feel and what Hoyer feels because I wouldn't have gone into the season with a large sum of money available to put into the roster not being spent.

Whether I'm spending that money on a 1 year deal for Rodon or a multiyear deal for Correa, it's getting spent.

If Hoyer didn't want to spend whatever amount on Correa because he didn't like the investment for the future, fine. That's his decision. But not spending it on a short term deal like Rodon lost the opportunity to trade him at the deadline for something to help in the future.
    I agree with you on this point, but we also don't know how much Ricketts gave him to spend last offseason so hard to judge.

Page 3 of 483 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast