Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 483 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    Braves extended Strider. Fair deal for both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    Not sure how many Stroman-caliber guys are in FA this year. I can only think of Senga off the top of my head.
    Maybe Bassitt or Clevenger? Not really sure.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Im going to point something out here: that's a you belief. If you think Drew Smyly will stop them from going after a better arm, you can have that opinion, but I couldn't disagree with it more.
    Yes that is my belief, ive said it since before the season ended that unless they traded Hendricks or he not able to pitch, that they most likely won't go after a big money SP/TOR guy this offseason.
    I just feel they will stay with what they have in Stroman, Hendricks, Steele, Wisneski and the others in their system throughout the season.

I hope im wrong and they add Senga or a TOR guy and no, i dont think Smyly or Miley will be what stops them, i think the 4 guys i mentioned and their depth of pitchers that are ready or near ready will stop them this offseason.

There no immediate need to go out and spend on a big TOR guy this offseason outside of Senga, cause theyre not contending for a title in 2023.
    2023 IMO will be more of seeing what they have in their organization and who will become a fixture to the rotation.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    Yes that is my belief, ive said it since before the season ended that unless they traded Hendricks or he not able to pitch, that they most likely won't go after a big money SP/TOR guy this offseason.
    I just feel they will stay with what they have in Stroman, Hendricks, Steele, Wisneski and the others in their system throughout the season.

I hope im wrong and they add Senga or a TOR guy and no, i dont think Smyly or Miley will be what stops them, i think the 4 guys i mentioned and their depth of pitchers that are ready or near ready will stop them this offseason.

There no immediate need to go out and spend on a big TOR guy this offseason outside of Senga, cause theyre not contending for a title in 2023.
    2023 IMO will be more of seeing what they have in their organization and who will become a fixture to the rotation.

There's tons of reasons to go and spend on a TOR type: the Cubs don't have one and TOR types are good. The Cubs can't fix such a drastically broken offense in a single offseason, but teams like Cleveland, Tampa Bay and Milwaukee show yearly that you can survive with a strong rotation and defense and a weak offense. If the Cubs want to make the playoffs in 2022, that's the blueprint. They would need at least one impact arm to make that happen. No arm on the team, including Wesneski, should stop that. Why? Look at LA. Look at Houston. Why do they have a good 25 or 26 year old SP every season? Because they make them take those spots and force their way in. The Cubs have plenty of arms and plenty of ways to get them time on the mound. They need depth. Less pitchers are throwing 160 IP every year. There will be tons of starts for guys due to injuries, and tons of innings as arms go less deep into games. Players can be used in 2-3 IP roles out of the pen (a Dodger favorite).

The Cubs can both bring in a very good arm in 2023 and see what they have. They're not mutually exclusive.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 10-10-2022 at 10:33 PM.

Not sure how many Stroman-caliber guys are in FA this year. I can only think of Senga off the top of my head.
    There are a handful of Stroman-caliber pitchers that are set to be FAs. Senga isn't one of them, imo. You hope he's a Stroman-caliber guy but you can't put him there because he's literally not thrown a single MLB pitch. Guys that are Stroman-caliber would be Bassitt, Carrasco (depending on his health), Clevinger, Eovaldi, Stripling, Syndergaard, and Taillon. Hell, maybe Quintana figured something out, but him in a Cubs uniform again would trigger some PTSD for me. Maybe try to take advantage of the White Sox in a down mood and make a trade for Giolito who has 1 year left coming off a bad year.

It's not hard to find a Stroman-caliber pitcher. He's a passable 2, strong 3. On a legit WS contender you would hope to have 2 guys that are better than him. He's about 3.6 career ERA and FIP and has never put up a 4 WAR season. He's solid, but nothing crazy special.
    Last edited by cuzi; 10-11-2022 at 02:48 AM.

No particular order, but these pitchers would interest me:

Taijuan walker
    Bassit
    Aaron Nola
    Clevenger
    Rodon
    Senga

If the cubs were making a serious push to win a WS next season, I wouldn’t mind cubs sign degrom or verlander to a 1-2 year deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Freezee View Post
    No particular order, but these pitchers would interest me:

Taijuan walker
    Bassit
    Aaron Nola
    Clevenger
    Rodon
    Senga

If the cubs were making a serious push to win a WS next season, I wouldn’t mind cubs sign degrom or verlander to a 1-2 year deal.
    Phillies have an option on Nola and I doubt they are letting him walk at 16m

I wouldn't mind seeing Clevenger on a 2-3 year deal (if that's possible) or Walker. I ultimately want Rodon and Senga. That would give Senga a year to acclimate to MLB and a replacement when Stroman walks the next year.

I want nothing to do with DeGrom or Verlander, mostly for monetary reasons.
    Romans 5:8 but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us

The full press conference is on YouTube. Worth a watch.

Cubs are longterm focused. They want to time big fa acquisitions with the outlook of prospects coming up. They also said they look at the FA market not only in the upcoming. offseason but in future seasons to see which players they may want to target to fit into their longterm plans.

Hoyer said speed and athleticism will be more important with the rule changes next year. So sounds a guy like Turner would receive a bump in value in their minds.

It just sounds like they're not likely to make a deal that makes 2023 better if it makes 2024 and beyond worse. The Suzuki, Stroman, Miley contracts etc are indicative of this approach. They want good contracts.
    Last edited by Stratos; 10-11-2022 at 09:45 AM.

Cubs are longterm focused. They want to time big fa acquisitions with the outlook of prospects coming up. They also said they look at the FA market not only in the upcoming. offseason but in future seasons to see which players they may want to target to fit into their longterm plans.
    That is such a stupid way to look at it. You can't ignore whats available and infront of you now because someone MIGHT be available in the future. Even if they do make it to FA there's no guarantee you get them. So plan A falls through and you already passed on plan B.

Do you guys think the Cubs should consider Jose Abreu? I know he’s old but he’s still a premier hitter in the game and he can probably be had for a 3 year deal, if they want to parlay one big deal (Correa) with a smaller one. There is room for both Mervis and Abreu, Reyes is the odd man out.

If Abreu wants to strictly be a DH then sure, but he's going to want money to be on the field and play 1B so no.

Quote Originally Posted by cuzi View Post
    That is such a stupid way to look at it. You can't ignore whats available and infront of you now because someone MIGHT be available in the future. Even if they do make it to FA there's no guarantee you get them. So plan A falls through and you already passed on plan B.
    Well I don't think it means they'll ignore who is available this offseason, it just means they also have an eye on future FA offseasons. I agree there's risk if they're just waiting on a certain guy but I'm sure they factor that risk.

Well I don't think it means they'll ignore who is available this offseason, it just means they also have an eye on future FA offseasons. I agree there's risk if they're just waiting on a certain guy but I'm sure they factor that risk.
    I think it just means that if there a player or players that might be available say in 2023 and or 2024 offseason that peaks their interest, theyll just make sure they will have $$$ available to make a reasonable offer and not be tied down with bad contracts that will or could keep them from adding not just one but a couple of FA that could help them win.

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    I think it just means that if there a player or players that might be available say in 2023 and or 2024 offseason that peaks their interest, theyll just make sure they will have $$$ available to make a reasonable offer and not be tied down with bad contracts that will or could keep them from adding not just one but a couple of FA that could help them win.

Which means they will avoid spending money in the present for the possibility to spend it later. And if that possibility doesnt materialize... then what?

Look to the future in trades. Look to present in FA.

Scott Effross needs Tommy John. Hoyer looks even better now after that trade.

Feel bad for Effross though. I like him

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 483 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast