Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 112 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112
Results 1,666 to 1,669 of 1669
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    I agree with this. And I will add, IMO, if the Cubs do extend Happ it will be for less than he would have been able to get as a FA. I think if he signs, it will be a team discount. Which might be why he doesn't sign.
    Yes exactly. If you were Happ would you sign an extension with a year left before FA and you've been healthy pretty much your whole career? I wouldn't. I don't think he extends.

Hoyer has already said that whoever is playing CF in 2023 isn't currently on the roster. Not sure why this is even a discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by cuzi View Post
    Hoyer has already said that whoever is playing CF in 2023 isn't currently on the roster. Not sure why this is even a discussion.
    Sounds like he's going after Judge!
    Romans 5:8 but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us

Quote Originally Posted by cuzi View Post
    That's true, and I believe them.

It came up because of Conforto being on Cubs radar. I think they'd likely use Conforto as a DH and split time in corner OF with Happ and maybe Suzuki if his arm is healed, and prefer to grab a true CF. They can cycle Conforto between DH land the field like the rest of our regulars, and keep him at DH if his injured arm gives him trouble.

Ideally I prefer an extra OF over an extra 1B since one of the 3 OF are more likely to get hurt than our young 1B, but Mervis still needs a backup. We have Wisdom, but not much else and could use an improvement there, or another solid backup option.

Cubs can't 100% count on landing Abreu, or pin themselves in a corner betting on that one option, so I assume they're just exploring all possibilities and picking the one that makes the most sense based on the asking price. Value for dollar he might be a better get than Abreu. Conforto comes with injury and rust risk, Abreu comes with age decline risk and saw a career low power drop (HR and ISO) last year, and Conforto will come cheaper.

Conforto would also give Cubs the option to keep Happ and trade him at the deadline if Conforto is doing well and someone like Davis is ready to come up, or they find some other hitter who can play OF or DH.