Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 472 of 475 FirstFirst ... 372422462470471472473474 ... LastLast
Results 7,066 to 7,080 of 7120
    Nothing major ...C Luis Torrens added

https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/...r-league-deal/

Sent from my SM-A136U using Tapatalk

Testing, testing..1, 2. Is this thing on?

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Check out the Dodgers forum if you want to feel better about the shape of the Cubs forum.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Not much to say. Roster feels almost done and pretty weak to mediocre.

Maybe a bullpen arm addition or a Madrigal trade still to come, but itís hard to care too much about those type of small moves when expectations are low.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post

Maybe a bullpen arm addition or a Madrigal trade still to come, but itís hard to care too much about those type of small moves when expectations are low.
    That pretty much sums it up

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Check out the Dodgers forum if you want to feel better about the shape of the Cubs forum.
    Yuck.

Apparently the Cubs may not be done adding a hitter, according to Mooney.

So I am not as negative about the roster construction as you are but even I must admit the best I can give the Cubs offseason is....meh.
    Screw sabermetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    Apparently the Cubs may not be done adding a hitter, according to Mooney.

So I am not as negative about the roster construction as you are but even I must admit the best I can give the Cubs offseason is....meh.
    Hopefully there is some mega trade out of the blue, but Iíd imagine any hitter they add at this point wonít move the needle much on the 2023 roster.

Theyíve done everything they can to build the most mediocre team possible, and I think itís likely they fall just short of that goal of being mediocre.

I've posted this elsewhere, but I'll post it here, too. This offseason feels like what a number of my middle schoolers do in class to make it seem like they're doing work; they fumble through their folders, they move the mouse around on their chromebook, they seem like they're typing and really invested...but when the class is done, you see that despite all of the perceived movement and action that they've done little to nothing to progress on their assignment, and both you and the student have no idea what the last hour was all about.

The Cubs are doing the same thing. They've brought in a lot of players in number, but very few move the needles. They can say "they're not done" adding players, but they have been essentially done for weeks. We can talk about the floor being raised, but they've done nothing to raise the ceiling, and if they're not going to raise the ceiling, then what are we really doing here? What has this all been about? I know they claim to not be done, but there's no amount of Edwin Rios and Ben Gamels the Cubs could sign that would matter. It's only further shuffling papers within your folder, pretending the work is getting done.

a $200M+ payroll and expectations of 80ish wins is about as meh as you can possibly get.

The sad part is there's really no prospects, at least until the 2nd half, that really add any excitement. Mervis has been doomed to AAA by 2 players that personify mediocrity and no one else is ready. Davis in the 2nd half or maybe Wicks would be fairly exciting, but for now it's just so incredibly boring.
    Last edited by Tryptamine; 01-26-2023 at 03:30 PM.

Hopefully there is some mega trade out of the blue, but Iíd imagine any hitter they add at this point wonít move the needle much on the 2023 roster.

Theyíve done everything they can to build the most mediocre team possible, and I think itís likely they fall just short of that goal of being mediocre.
    I get the impression it'll be another meh player who fills a specific role.
    Last edited by Bluefire; 01-27-2023 at 02:37 AM.
    Screw sabermetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    I get the impression it'll be another meh player who feels a specific role.
    Well, it's probably the Madrigal for whatever they can get swap.
    Ü

"But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it."

- Romans 8:25

Quote Originally Posted by Tryptamine View Post
    a $200M+ payroll and expectations of 80ish wins is about as meh as you can possibly get.

The sad part is there's really no prospects, at least until the 2nd half, that really add any excitement. Mervis has been doomed to AAA by 2 players that personify mediocrity and no one else is ready. Davis in the 2nd half or maybe Wicks would be fairly exciting, but for now it's just so incredibly boring.
    I was thinking about this last night, looking at their current roster there really noone on it that you can say is a good young piece they can build around for the near future.

Swanson, Suzuki, and Taillon aren't exactly guys you're looking to build on for a championship run in a couple seasons.

I really hope they get a couple of new surprise prospects along with Mervis, Davis, etc that comes up later in year and looks to be a piece going forward.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    I was thinking about this last night, looking at their current roster there really noone on it that you can say is a good young piece they can build around for the near future.

Swanson, Suzuki, and Taillon aren't exactly guys you're looking to build on for a championship run in a couple seasons.
    Tapatalk
    I don't agree with that philosophy. In order to win you need a good team, not one young player "to build around".

Our problem is 3B, 1B, C, CF, DH aren't very good and the other guys aren't good enough to make up for it especially on the offensive side. Hopefully Mervis can be pretty good at 1b or DH.

When we have Mervis, Davis, PCA, Canario, Amaya up plus others soon after to add to Nico, Swanson, Suzuki, we'll be in a good spot, and have lots of money to add very good FA to the offense and SP.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    When we have Mervis, Davis, PCA, Canario, Amaya up plus others soon after to add to Nico, Swanson, Suzuki, we'll be in a good spot, and have lots of money to add very good FA to the offense and SP.
    They'll be lucky to have 2 of those prospects turn out to be even average.