Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Which religion came first: Judaism or Christianity?

Now I know youíre thinking the answer is obviously Judaism because thereís historical record of it coming first, Christís own parents were Jewish and Christ hadnít been born yet, the Old Testament predates the New by thousands of years and Jewish people believe in the Old Testament.

But there are those who believe Christianity came first.

So, which came first?
    Last edited by valade16; 10-05-2022 at 11:45 AM.

Dang. I didn't expect brett05 to have so many stellar arguments already.

Christianity began as a movement within Judaism at a period when the Jews had long been dominated culturally and politically by foreign powers and had found in their religion (rather than in their politics or cultural achievements) the linchpin of their community.
    But, you know, what does the Encyclopedia Britannica really know about anything?

"It is a grotesque parody of the bazaar at Marrakech, as if dumb animals had been granted only the amount of sentience required to mock humanity."

Brett, if he manages to find his way here, will no doubt argue that Christianity has somehow always been, which raises it's own questions; for example:

How can there be a religion when there is no one to believe it?

And once there were people, Biblical speaking at least, they were clearly Jewish and not what anyone would call Christian, so again how is there a religion that no one seems to even be aware of?

Of course poor Brett won't see these because he needs his safe space, but I think we all know he wouldn't have an answer even if he did.

"It is a grotesque parody of the bazaar at Marrakech, as if dumb animals had been granted only the amount of sentience required to mock humanity."

First, the terms are not what matters. I think we can all agree to that, correct?
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, crovash, nastynice, natepro, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    First, the terms are not what matters. I think we can all agree to that, correct?
    What do you want mean? Please tell me youíre not about to argue that even though they called themselves Jewish they were actually Christians.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    What do you want mean? Please tell me youíre not about to argue that even though they called themselves Jewish they were actually Christians.
    I am speaking about that what one calls themselves does not make what one is. I am a male. I can call myself a woman all day long it does not make it so.
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, crovash, nastynice, natepro, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

I am speaking about that what one calls themselves does not make what one is. I am a male. I can call myself a woman all day long it does not make it so.
    So your argument really is that Jews are really Christians? Wow

So your argument really is that Jews are really Christians? Wow
    Way to make stuff up. Congrats. Way to open a thread you have no knowledge or interest in knowledge gaining.
    You're my hero (Sorry Ferris)

Well that was predictable as hell.

Way to make stuff up. Congrats. Way to open a thread you have no knowledge or interest in knowledge gaining.
    You're my hero (Sorry Ferris)
    So that isnít your argument? You just said what one calls themselves doesnít mean thatís what they are.

What do you mean by that? Stop speaking in generalities and talk specifically about the subject at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    But, you know, what does the Encyclopedia Britannica really know about anything?
    Personally, I put quite a bit more stock in the Encyclopedia Brettannica.

So that isnít your argument? You just said what one calls themselves doesnít mean thatís what they are.

What do you mean by that? Stop speaking in generalities and talk specifically about the subject at hand.
    I am getting clarity so we are under the same footing. Like I said, you have no interest in the subject matter and proved that with your second and third post in. How could anyone have predicted that?

I am getting clarity so we are under the same footing. Like I said, you have no interest in the subject matter and proved that with your second and third post in. How could anyone have predicted that?
    As am I. Of course I have interest in the subject matter. So much so I've actually discussed the subject in this thread. You have not.

Your only contributions to the thread have been:

Terms are not what matter
    I am speaking about that what one calls themselves does not make what one is

OK, what does that have to do with this subject? Apply those statements to this subject.

What specific term do you believe doesn't matter here. Who is calling themselves something but is really something else?

As am I. Of course I have interest in the subject matter. So much so I've actually discussed the subject in this thread. You have not.

Your only contributions to the thread have been:

Terms are not what matter
    I am speaking about that what one calls themselves does not make what one is

OK, what does that have to do with this subject? Apply those statements to this subject.

What specific term do you believe doesn't matter here. Who is calling themselves something but is really something else?
    I will rephrase for you since it directly has to do with the subject and those participating in it.
    We are speaking about when what is called Judaism and Christianity in the English language started. Not the label.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast