Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

How Can The Mets Get Better Next Year

I understand that the season is not over and the sky is not falling but in my opinion, I do not think that the Mets will make it to the WS this year.

So the question is how can they be better next year ?

For argument dsake ,Ii you resign Diaz, Nimmo and DeGrom , you are not getting better , you are staying the same , although I guess if you had DeGrom for an entire year you are better. I am not even sure we will resign DeGrom , which would make us worse.

They can use a better offensive catcher, but do you go out and sign one for multiple years when you have Alverez in the wings ? Or do you go with Alvarez and Nimo/McCann?

Who is our LF ? Is it Canha or do we try and get someone with more of an offensive threat and have Canah as our right DH ?

Is Escobar our regular 3B or do insert Baty there and hope for the best?

What do you do with Walker, Bassitt and Carasco . Are they all potential FAs ? Are Peterson and Megill decent replacements ? We have no pitching prospect in the minors anywhere near ready for the Majors.

Ottovino is a FA , how do we make the bullpen better ?

Cohen is not going to have an open wallet. We have a $259 million dollar payroll , second only to the Dodgers and we are not going to increase it to over $300 million , if that .

I welcome your thoughts

Iím fairly confident the Mets cannot bring back an equally talented team. If somehow we bring back all our FA or equal replacements, improvement might come from Alvarez taking bats away from McCann and Baty taking bats away from a RH DH

But can we expect Diaz to repeat? Pete? Lindor? McNeil?

I think weíre looking at a high 80s / low 90s win team with an extremely high payroll for the next few years. Good enough to make the playoffs, hopeful to compete

If you keep the same main guys but improve the pen. Then make Baty your 3B, Alvarez your main C and use Escobar as the DH you can potentially get better. Huge risk and reward but that is probably most realistic approach unless we do spend like drunken sailors

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Well, lots of things to consider.

First, let's get it out of the way....the Mets are likely not signing Judge. I can't imagine the Yankees letting him walk.

Also, First, I suppose Vientos should be the RH DH in 2023. He has nothing to prove going back to AAA and the only other scenario I see is the Mets trading him. I think the Mets need to have him work in the OF as a way to increase his versatility also.

I think the right move for Baty and Alvarez is to have them return to AAA. Baty was only moved up late in the AAA year, so despite his initial homers et al., I think he still needs close to a year at AAA. Alvarez probably doesn't need to play AAA as far as his hitting is concerned, but I do think he needs to work on his defense behind the plate, at least according to what some have said. Otherwise, if you have him on the team he is going to mostly DH which then short circuits Vientos.

It is hard to say what to do with the pitching when we don't know where Degrom will be. Ideally, the Mets should bring him back. But failing in that, they need to either sign somebody like Rodon or trade for Ohtani.

I don't think it is necessarily counter productive to bring back many of the same guys. Let's face it, we had lots of injuries with the starters, losing MeGill whose future as a starter may be in doubt, for most of the year. We also didn't have an effective Trevor May most of the season. We didn't have Scherzer at times this year as well. And of course, not to mention DeGrom. Also, everybody was down on Escobar, but he has redeemed himself. And let's not forget in 2021 he did hit 28 homers and drive in 90 runs. We should also be reminded that for most of the year we had paltry DH combo which at least on the left side has been resolved. This past month, the Mets have been playing a more pedestrian baseball and I wonder if part of it has to do with the loss of Marte.

I'm not so completely sold on Nimmo. Clearly he is improved defensively, but he has not put up the near .400 OBP this year that he has in the past. I would definitely try and trade for OHtani, who could play RF with Marte moving back to CF. I am also not all that enamored of Canha, whom if the right kind of deal came along the Mets should trade IMO. In addition, although I like McNeil, I would move him for the right kind of deal as well. I guess the Mets are also likely to move Ruf and hopefully pick up something of value or maybe a prospect, albeit they overpaid for him int he first place.

Ottavino is probably going to ask for a multi-year deal in the neighborhood of $8M per and based on what he did this year I could see the Mets doing that. On the other hand, I could also see the Mets waving goodbye to Lugo, who has been erratic this year and cost the Mets some games, unless he can be brought back really cheap. Even though May has not contributed much this year, I could see the Mets bring him back on a one-year contract for say $6M.

It goes without saying the Mets need to bring back Diaz. But you never know what could happen.

Notwithstanding Alvarez is the future, I would kick the tires on Contreras, who won't require loss of a draft pick. How that plays out between McCann and Nido remains to be seen. Contreras can also play the OF, so it is possible the Mets could carry 3 catchers, yielding a lot of flexibility. I know everybody thinks the Mets hitting is a problem and should be improved, despite it being among the MLB leaders in runs scored. But I believe in a good defense as well, so my hope is that we will see more of Guillorme at 2B in 2023, unless he totally goes in the toilet offensively, which I don't think will happen.

I have no problem bringing back Walker if the contract is reasonable, and same for Bassitt, but I suspect one or the other, maybe both, will not be back.

Apart from all of that, in terms of players performance, while Alonso has broken records for runs driven in, I wouldn't say he has broken any records so to speak in terms of homers. So I don't see any reason why he can't perform at the same or better level next year, given that runs scored is not an independent variable like homers and BA. Lindor has come back this year which everybody kind of suspected he would. It is not the LIndor of earlier years, but not that far off. No reason to believe he can't replicate or even do better next season. Already touched on Escobar, whom I feel can hit 30 homers and drive in around 90 runs, albeit with a rather low BA.

Before we start firing people or rounding up the usual suspects, let's take deep breath. The Mets have achieved something this year even if it does not now meet the expectations of many fans. Maybe if anybody should get fired, it should be some fans, if that were even possible. Before we start the gnashing of teeth we should think about where we were and what kind of a team we had last year.

Mets desperately need another power bat. We saw in the Braves series that even when we string together hits itís only singles snd we get a run. Meanwhile the Braves can change the whole game with one pitch because they have a ton of guys who can hit the ball out of the ballpark. Now hopefully Alvarez and Baty develop into those type of players but canít ask them to do that immediately

Quote Originally Posted by AUDIT View Post
    Well, lots of things to consider.

First, let's get it out of the way....the Mets are likely not signing Judge. I can't imagine the Yankees letting him walk.

Also, First, I suppose Vientos should be the RH DH in 2023. He has nothing to prove going back to AAA and the only other scenario I see is the Mets trading him. I think the Mets need to have him work in the OF as a way to increase his versatility also.

I think the right move for Baty and Alvarez is to have them return to AAA. Baty was only moved up late in the AAA year, so despite his initial homers et al., I think he still needs close to a year at AAA. Alvarez probably doesn't need to play AAA as far as his hitting is concerned, but I do think he needs to work on his defense behind the plate, at least according to what some have said. Otherwise, if you have him on the team he is going to mostly DH which then short circuits Vientos.

It is hard to say what to do with the pitching when we don't know where Degrom will be. Ideally, the Mets should bring him back. But failing in that, they need to either sign somebody like Rodon or trade for Ohtani.

I don't think it is necessarily counter productive to bring back many of the same guys. Let's face it, we had lots of injuries with the starters, losing MeGill whose future as a starter may be in doubt, for most of the year. We also didn't have an effective Trevor May most of the season. We didn't have Scherzer at times this year as well. And of course, not to mention DeGrom. Also, everybody was down on Escobar, but he has redeemed himself. And let's not forget in 2021 he did hit 28 homers and drive in 90 runs. We should also be reminded that for most of the year we had paltry DH combo which at least on the left side has been resolved. This past month, the Mets have been playing a more pedestrian baseball and I wonder if part of it has to do with the loss of Marte.

I'm not so completely sold on Nimmo. Clearly he is improved defensively, but he has not put up the near .400 OBP this year that he has in the past. I would definitely try and trade for OHtani, who could play RF with Marte moving back to CF. I am also not all that enamored of Canha, whom if the right kind of deal came along the Mets should trade IMO. In addition, although I like McNeil, I would move him for the right kind of deal as well. I guess the Mets are also likely to move Ruf and hopefully pick up something of value or maybe a prospect, albeit they overpaid for him int he first place.

Ottavino is probably going to ask for a multi-year deal in the neighborhood of $8M per and based on what he did this year I could see the Mets doing that. On the other hand, I could also see the Mets waving goodbye to Lugo, who has been erratic this year and cost the Mets some games, unless he can be brought back really cheap. Even though May has not contributed much this year, I could see the Mets bring him back on a one-year contract for say $6M.

It goes without saying the Mets need to bring back Diaz. But you never know what could happen.

Notwithstanding Alvarez is the future, I would kick the tires on Contreras, who won't require loss of a draft pick. How that plays out between McCann and Nido remains to be seen. Contreras can also play the OF, so it is possible the Mets could carry 3 catchers, yielding a lot of flexibility. I know everybody thinks the Mets hitting is a problem and should be improved, despite it being among the MLB leaders in runs scored. But I believe in a good defense as well, so my hope is that we will see more of Guillorme at 2B in 2023, unless he totally goes in the toilet offensively, which I don't think will happen.

I have no problem bringing back Walker if the contract is reasonable, and same for Bassitt, but I suspect one or the other, maybe both, will not be back.

Apart from all of that, in terms of players performance, while Alonso has broken records for runs driven in, I wouldn't say he has broken any records so to speak in terms of homers. So I don't see any reason why he can't perform at the same or better level next year, given that runs scored is not an independent variable like homers and BA. Lindor has come back this year which everybody kind of suspected he would. It is not the LIndor of earlier years, but not that far off. No reason to believe he can't replicate or even do better next season. Already touched on Escobar, whom I feel can hit 30 homers and drive in around 90 runs, albeit with a rather low BA.

Before we start firing people or rounding up the usual suspects, let's take deep breath. The Mets have achieved something this year even if it does not now meet the expectations of many fans. Maybe if anybody should get fired, it should be some fans, if that were even possible. Before we start the gnashing of teeth we should think about where we were and what kind of a team we had last year.
    An excellent analysis. One point that I disagree with though is possibly trading McNeil. He is a professionally hitter who possibly could win the batting title. You do not trade guys like that , you keep them.

The Braves caught lightning in a bottle with Michael Harris and Vaughn Grissom , could the Mets do the same with Baty and Alverez ? Who knows ?

Who ever heard of Spencer Strider before this year ? We have no one to approach him in the minors .

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    An excellent analysis. One point that I disagree with though is possibly trading McNeil. He is a professionally hitter who possibly could win the batting title. You do not trade guys like that , you keep them.

The Braves caught lightning in a bottle with Michael Harris and Vaughn Grissom , could the Mets do the same with Baty and Alverez ? Who knows ?

Who ever heard of Spencer Strider before this year ? We have no one to approach him in the minors .
    The difference in winning this division was the lesser prospects the Braves called up straight from AA, Michael Harris and to a lesser extent Grissom... And the dominant performance of Spencer Strider who was not one of their top prospects coming into the season and not close to a top 100 MLB prospect.

While our 3 prospects who did great in AA and AAA, all have failed at the MLB level.

Baty was nothing special before he got hurt, Vientos hasn't done anything at all, and Alvarez looks overmatched and over anxious, albeit they called him up at a terrible time.

Our 3 prospects were so much more highly ranked, all had AAA experience, and it didn't matter. They were severely outperformed by the Braves prospects and that is the difference and the main reason we didn't win the division.

The Braves have been winning at a 114 win season pace since June. We've actually been really ****ing good during that time too but the Braves have just had a ridiculous stretch.

We've had basically 2 automatic outs in our lineup since Marte went down. The little to no production from the C spot has been unbearable while the Braves have two all star catchers.

We better hope Alvarez has a legit rookie season next year and we probably need to let Nimmo go and sign Judge. Not enough power in the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
    I think weíre looking at a high 80s / low 90s win team with an extremely high payroll for the next few years. Good enough to make the playoffs, hopeful to compete
    Not trying to be a dick but I would love to know how you come up with the idea that we're looking at about an 88-92 win team FOR THE NEXT FEW YEARS after we win 98-101 games this year and have a billionaire owner who clearly wants to win.

That makes no sense whatsoever.

9. 10-03-2022, 05:51 PM

The thing Iím worried about is if Cohen panics if we donít get to at least the NLCS. What I mean by panic will he gut the farm system to go for it next year. I mean I want to win but a big reason why the Graves are in the position theyíre in there because they did a good job developing their own guys and signed them to long term contacts early

This is too multi layered because who knows what Cohen's spending limit is. I did that estimate where to keep their most important FA, their payroll would have to be in the 340 million range next year. Then 2 months later Harper quoted something similar. Its unlikely Cohen goes that high.

That said, gauge the Angel's interest in moving Ohtani. If they aren't willing to, sign Judge. If Judge goes elsewhere get Joc Pederson. Not ideally the middle of the order bat that they need but its still something. They need more power in this lineup. I would move Canha to the 4th OF spot while dumping Ruf. Also entice a team to pick up McCann by giving up a compensatory pick and eating some of his salary. He's got to get off this team.

I would re-sign Trevor Williams, Diaz, Ottavino, Lugo, and bring in Jose Alvarado or Andrew Chafin.

Unless they win the WS and deGrom is dominant, I would let him walk. I'm not interested in giving deGrom 45-50 million dollars a year. If they don't sign another major FA, I would rather have Carlos Rodon because he's 4 years younger.

But their priority should be getting offensive help. That's something they desperately need..
    Last edited by metswon69; 10-03-2022 at 09:06 PM.

I donít think they can, I think next year it will be a step back UNLESS their kids perform. They need two of three guys to come up and do well in Vientos, Baty and Alvarez.

I am also ready to see them lose one of their top FA, I can only see them keeping 2 of 3 from the Diaz, deGrom and Nimmo.

the other option is to deal for a star, donít see them getting Judge, so Ohtani or even Trout is a possibility imo. Question is what would it take?

They have too many FA and they canít sign all of them so yes they need to make some deals and have their kids perform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get rid of this guy, get rid of that guy. It is so easy to say.

Yes, get rid of Ruf and McCann, just like we got rid of JD Davis. How did that work out.

I'm not saying don't make adjustments or changes, but let's not just make knee jerk reactions for the sake of making moves. Ruf has been terrible. But he was very good in 2021. The only question is whether his age 36 is catching up to him. Maybe the Mets can move him, maybe not. The RH DH is still not settled, albeit I would like to see Vientos take that spot. You never know, sometimes we hear at the end of the season that a player was hurt and that affected his performance. The Mets have bigger fish to fry than Ruf, and even McCann.

I wouldn't give up a draft pick to any team in order for them to take McCann. I think the Mets are pretty much stuck with him for the remaining two years. He still has value defensively and I think with this pitching staff that is important. Having said that, I'm all for signing Wilson Contreras if the deal is right.

Regarding DeGrom, I think the Mets should make an attempt to sign him even at something like $45M, but I would go no higher than, although they can work some innovative contract details I'm sure. Failing to sign DeGrom, you gotta go after Rodon for sure, even if you have to pay him say $32M per. Then again, think about this, what if the Mets keep Degrom but lose Bassitt and Walker, but sign Rodon. Salary wise that is a tough nut to crack but it might be interesting. Then you have Peterson as the #5 starter and a balanced rotation that includes two lefties.

Ohtani is clearly a great player, but I wonder if in the final analysis it will take $50M a year to sign him, no matter what team he winds up on. That is a lot of money. If somehow the Mets were able to get Ohtani I think they could safely let Nimmo walk and save in the neighborhood of $15M plus right there.

As for Canha, I won't not keep him as the 4th OF. I would rather trade him. Maybe the Mets can have McNeil playing LF or maybe even work with Vientos playing the OF. If you get Ohtani you can move Marte to CF.

It will be an interesting winter for the Mets, especially considering the payroll.

Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    Not trying to be a dick but I would love to know how you come up with the idea that we're looking at about an 88-92 win team FOR THE NEXT FEW YEARS after we win 98-101 games this year and have a billionaire owner who clearly wants to win.

That makes no sense whatsoever.
    Thatís simple
    We have a $280M payroll and our Free Agents next year includes nearly 80% of our starting pitching, nearly half our bullpen including what most would consider the top closer in baseball and our starting CF

All, except maybe Lugo and May are inline for a decent raise next year.

I donít believe Vientos is anything special, Baty and Alvarez at DH may help a little.

So, do you believe weíll take our $280M payroll to $325M to trot out the same team (a year older as well) to get the same 98-101 wins?

I think weíll have a payroll in the neighborhood of $300M (aka extremely high). I think we retain Diaz, Bassitt, Walker and Nimmo while losing Degrom and Carrasco. Degrom gets replaced by hopefully someone like Rodon while Carrascoís slot goes to Peterson. Bullpen will likely be swapped out for similar salaries along with normal arbitration raises and thatís pretty much it to get to $300M

The above described $300M team IMO is not as good as this yearís team, nor can I expect that insane stat of 66-1 when leading after 8 innings or 10-2 in extra innings to carry over. (Sorry if I misquoted the leading after 8 innings #, but I know itís ridiculously impressive)

Perennial playoff team for sure, and we should be thrilled with that because weíve never had that. Constantly winning 100 games without a pipeline of young talent (especially pitching), I donít see it

Quote Originally Posted by JCrusher View Post
    The thing Iím worried about is if Cohen panics if we donít get to at least the NLCS. What I mean by panic will he gut the farm system to go for it next year. I mean I want to win but a big reason why the Graves are in the position theyíre in there because they did a good job developing their own guys and signed them to long term contacts early
    Cohen ďpanickingĒ for me is rolling a $400M payroll out there. I donít think he would ever consider gutting the farm (unless for Ohtani)

Cohen panic = Degrom, Diaz, Judge, Ohtani

Quote Originally Posted by AUDIT View Post
    Get rid of this guy, get rid of that guy. It is so easy to say.

Yes, get rid of Ruf and McCann, just like we got rid of JD Davis. How did that work out.

I'm not saying don't make adjustments or changes, but let's not just make knee jerk reactions for the sake of making moves. Ruf has been terrible. But he was very good in 2021. The only question is whether his age 36 is catching up to him. Maybe the Mets can move him, maybe not. The RH DH is still not settled, albeit I would like to see Vientos take that spot. You never know, sometimes we hear at the end of the season that a player was hurt and that affected his performance. The Mets have bigger fish to fry than Ruf, and even McCann.

I wouldn't give up a draft pick to any team in order for them to take McCann. I think the Mets are pretty much stuck with him for the remaining two years. He still has value defensively and I think with this pitching staff that is important. Having said that, I'm all for signing Wilson Contreras if the deal is right.

Regarding DeGrom, I think the Mets should make an attempt to sign him even at something like $45M, but I would go no higher than, although they can work some innovative contract details I'm sure. Failing to sign DeGrom, you gotta go after Rodon for sure, even if you have to pay him say $32M per. Then again, think about this, what if the Mets keep Degrom but lose Bassitt and Walker, but sign Rodon. Salary wise that is a tough nut to crack but it might be interesting. Then you have Peterson as the #5 starter and a balanced rotation that includes two lefties.

Ohtani is clearly a great player, but I wonder if in the final analysis it will take $50M a year to sign him, no matter what team he winds up on. That is a lot of money. If somehow the Mets were able to get Ohtani I think they could safely let Nimmo walk and save in the neighborhood of $15M plus right there.

As for Canha, I won't not keep him as the 4th OF. I would rather trade him. Maybe the Mets can have McNeil playing LF or maybe even work with Vientos playing the OF. If you get Ohtani you can move Marte to CF.

It will be an interesting winter for the Mets, especially considering the payroll.
    Ruf has no place on this team if he isn't going to hit. You can find RH bats who spot start at 1st. McCann needs to go. Dude is a black hole offensively. There's no reason to give 24 million dollars to a guy over the next 2 years to be only a defensive catcher. He's not even that great defensively bw. You can find those guys at a much cheaper price as well. Not to mention the idea should be that Alvarez is the guy next year. If you want to start Nido more time to begin the year, fine. If you want to keep Alvarez in AAA for a month or two while Nido and someone else get time there, that's fine too but McCann needs to go. Giving up a compensatory pick won't be the end of the world. The Mets will presumably have multiple ones with all the FA they have. They're not carrying 3 catchers next year so the odds are McCann gets DFA'd anyways.

They're not even going to consider signing Contreras unless they trade Alvarez btw.

Not against making an attempt to re-sign deGrom. I just dont think you give a soon to be 35 year old often injured pitcher 45-50 million dollars a year. Not unless they win a WS this year and he's a huge part of it.

Keep Nimmo. Its extremely hard to find good defensive CFers who have his ability to get on base. There's no one in FA to replace him and the Mets don't have a soon to be replacement in the pipeline. I like Mangum but he's not that guy.

Canha is a 2nd division starter. He's a good player but given how this team is constructed they need more production in LF. They could trade him but I would rather keep him as a 4th OF type. Ohtani is not playing the field btw. If the Mets get him, they're going to give him similar treatment as the Angels did. Let him DH everyday except for the day he starts on the mound.
    Last edited by metswon69; 10-04-2022 at 11:11 AM.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast