Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Playoff Roster

Playoff Roster

Now that we've officially won the ALE and clinched a 1st round bye, it's time to figure out who is one the roster and who is sitting at home watching.

Locks IMO
    Judge, Rizzo, Torres, JD, IKF, Stanton, Bader, Trevino, Higgy, Cabrera position wise. (10)
    Benny, Carpenter, DJ will all depend on injuries (3) If everyone is healthy, I think those are the position players.

I've read a couple times the are considering Wade, LoCastro or possibly Flo as a late inning defensive sub/ pinch runner

Depending on the health of Benny, Carp and DJ, Hicks and Marwin could factor in as well

Rotation locks Cole, Nestor, Sevy ( 3)

Rotation possibilities Taillon, German and Montas as an opener. For me, I prefer Taillon as the 4th starter and German being on stand by if any of the starters spit the bit. German's experience and track record out of the BP is more valuable than putting German in the rotation and Taillon in the BP.. I have zero clue what u do with Montas at this point. He certainly doesn't belong in the playoff rotation

BP Locks Holmes, Lo, Effross, Marinaccio, Trivino, Wandy

Other possibilities Brit, Chapman, Luetage, Schmidt, Castro, Ridings, Abreau

Figuring out which of those guys complete the bench and BP could make a massive difference in their playoff run.

26 spots, they could go with 14 pitchers, 12 position players, 14 position players, 12 pitchers or just split the baby down the middle.

Who do you guys see making the ALDS roster?

Day you beat me to it, I was preparing a similar post.

I think the final few games may help sort out the details, particularly in the pen. I would think if Benintendi is back and healthy they will find him PT. Carpenter...not so sure. At this juncture Cabrera has earned his spot.

I don't think they should stick German in the pen, however your reasoning does make sense. Imo he's earned a spot in rotation. Might as well cut ties with Chapman now, let him go....save the spot. Luetage and Schmidt are likely in.

The BP does concern me. Once a rock that the success of the first half was built upon, now a wobbly house with shaky foundation at times. The regression becomes obvious when one considers:

In the first half, the Yankees’ relievers went 28-16 with a 2.89 ERA, 1.13 WHIP and 327 strikeouts in 315 innings. In the second half, that’s all dipped to 13-12 with a 3.34 ERA, 1.24 WHIP and 191 strikeouts in 197 innings. A difference of 118 inning. The bullpen has also hit 13 batters (vs 18), hurled nine wild pitches (vs 13) and registered a 2.33 SO/W ratio (vs a 2.73 mark) over that span.

Sell the Team, HAL!

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Now that we've officially won the ALE and clinched a 1st round bye, it's time to figure out who is one the roster and who is sitting at home watching.

Locks IMO
    Judge, Rizzo, Torres, JD, IKF, Stanton, Bader, Trevino, Higgy, Cabrera position wise. (10)
    Benny, Carpenter, DJ will all depend on injuries (3) If everyone is healthy, I think those are the position players.

I've read a couple times the are considering Wade, LoCastro or possibly Flo as a late inning defensive sub/ pinch runner

Depending on the health of Benny, Carp and DJ, Hicks and Marwin could factor in as well

Rotation locks Cole, Nestor, Sevy ( 3)

Rotation possibilities Taillon, German and Montas as an opener. For me, I prefer Taillon as the 4th starter and German being on stand by if any of the starters spit the bit. German's experience and track record out of the BP is more valuable than putting German in the rotation and Taillon in the BP.. I have zero clue what u do with Montas at this point. He certainly doesn't belong in the playoff rotation

BP Locks Holmes, Lo, Effross, Marinaccio, Trivino, Wandy

Other possibilities Brit, Chapman, Luetage, Schmidt, Castro, Ridings, Abreau

Figuring out which of those guys complete the bench and BP could make a massive difference in their playoff run.

26 spots, they could go with 14 pitchers, 12 position players, 14 position players, 12 pitchers or just split the baby down the middle.

Who do you guys see making the ALDS roster?
    I believe that we will carry 13 position players and 13 pitchers. I'm unsure whether MLB allows you more than 13 pitchers. I agree with your 10 locks and 3 other players, if healthy. If any are not healthy, I believe we carry Hicks and Gonzales in that order. After that I'd prefer Peraza over the other pinch runners.

As for the rotation, we don't need more than 4 starters and a swingman in a 5 game series. Whoever pitches game 1 also pitches game 5, if necessary. If it were up to me, Montas would not even make the squad for a 5 game series. It's hard to understand how people believe Taillon won't make it, if Montas does, when Taillon is 14-5 and pitching well and deep into games down the stretch. Plus, if he doesn't make it, you won't be ale to re-sign him, as he will be angry. So, Cole, Nestor, Severino and Taillon s/b your 4 starters and German should be your emergency starter / long relief man and anals be damned if they suggest Montas over any of the other five. After those 5, I'd put 8 relievers, including the 7 that you indicate as locks plus another lefty and I'm rooting for (Waldichuck isn't here, so) Brit to show us something in the next week.

If we could go 14 pitchers and if only two of the injured hitters are available, I would not replace the third one and would go with 14 pitchers.

That's what i would do, but the Yankees are liable to keep Hicks, Montas and Chapman.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    I thought of doing this, morning!!!

Locks- Judge, Stanton, Trivino, Higgy, Rizzo, Torres, IKF, JD, DJ, Bader, Hicks, Marwin, Cabrera

Sadly, if Carpenter comes back, I think Cabrera is the oddly out. If both Carpenter and Beni come back? I would guess Marwin and Cabrera will be gone

Pitchers
    Cole-SEvy-Tallion-Nestror
    German-Schmidt-Leutge, Trivino, Loisiga , Effross, Peralta, Holmes, Marinacio

My guess is we see one of them as a casualty when they roll with either Chappy or Britton
    (Probably Marinacio)

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Day you beat me to it, I was preparing a similar post.

I think the final few games may help sort out the details, particularly in the pen. I would think if Benintendi is back and healthy they will find him PT. Carpenter...not so sure. At this juncture Cabrera has earned his spot.

I don't think they should stick German in the pen, however your reasoning does make sense. Imo he's earned a spot in rotation. Might as well cut ties with Chapman now, let him go....save the spot. Luetage and Schmidt are likely in.

The BP does concern me. Once a rock that the success of the first half was built upon, now a wobbly house with shaky foundation at times. The regression becomes obvious when one considers:

In the first half, the Yankees’ relievers went 28-16 with a 2.89 ERA, 1.13 WHIP and 327 strikeouts in 315 innings. In the second half, that’s all dipped to 13-12 with a 3.34 ERA, 1.24 WHIP and 191 strikeouts in 197 innings. A difference of 118 inning. The bullpen has also hit 13 batters (vs 18), hurled nine wild pitches (vs 13) and registered a 2.33 SO/W ratio (vs a 2.73 mark) over that span.
    what would u give for Green and King about now?

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I thought of doing this, morning!!!

Locks- Judge, Stanton, Trivino, Higgy, Rizzo, Torres, IKF, JD, DJ, Bader, Hicks, Marwin, Cabrera

Sadly, if Carpenter comes back, I think Cabrera is the oddly out. If both Carpenter and Beni come back? I would guess Marwin and Cabrera will be gone

Pitchers
    Cole-SEvy-Tallion-Nestror
    German-Schmidt-Leutge, Trivino, Loisiga , Effross, Peralta, Holmes, Marinacio

My guess is we see one of them as a casualty when they roll with either Chappy or Britton
    (Probably Marinacio)
    So much of the position player side is going to be based on how healthy DJ, Benny and Carp are. U probably bring 2 of them along as late inning, pinch hitting options. 1 reason I think Cabrera is going to be a lock is his elite positional defensive versatility. If they are going to have any of those 3 as pinch hitters, they are going to need Cabrera to go in and play the field for whomever they pinch hit for..

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    So much of the position player side is going to be based on how healthy DJ, Benny and Carp are. U probably bring 2 of them along as late inning, pinch hitting options. 1 reason I think Cabrera is going to be a lock is his elite positional defensive versatility. If they are going to have any of those 3 as pinch hitters, they are going to need Cabrera to go in and play the field for whomever they pinch hit for..

I hope so!

I just cringe at the thought that they will make choices based on age and not performance.

Keep Marwin over Cabrera... That kind of thing

Ignorance is bliss

The ALDS and ALCS rosters may change a bit depending on matchups and health. Here is how I would do it:

Position Players:
    Judge / Stanton / Bader / Hicks / O. Cabrera / Rizzo / Gleyber T. / IKF / Donaldson / DJ LeMahieu / Peraza / Trevino / Higgy / Either Benitendi or Carpenter (whoever is healthier), if not then Locastro. 14 players.

Pitchers: Cole / Nestor / Severino / Taillon / German / Holmes / Loaisiga / Chapman / Trivino / Effross / Luetge or Peralta / Marinaccio or Schmidt. 12 Pitchers is enough, It's the ALDS and you barely have to use all 12 pitchers.

what would u give for Green and King about now?
    A left nut or more precisely Montas.
    Last edited by drt1010; 09-29-2022 at 07:37 AM.

Sell the Team, HAL!

I'd give the left nut and Montas for King, muchless both.

If we get 2/3 back of DJ, Benny and Carp and had King, I'd be much more confident about our chances this yr

Right now Stanton would not make my Yankee playoff roster, being my 15th position player-- those 14 ahead of Stanton include both Carpenter and Benie, based the the encouraging progress they are making according to tv coverage of tonite's game. They is still time for Stanton to get his timing back before our playoff roster needs to be set, but unless he does, leave him off. If he can't hit, he is worthless.

My position players: Judge, Cabrera,Benie,Bader,Hicks
    Rizzo,DJ,JD,Torres,IKF, Carpenter,Peraza
    Trevino, Higgy (14)

SP: Cole, Sevy,Taillon, Cortes (4):
    RP: Holmes, Marinaccio, Lo, German, Effross, Schmidt, Trivino, and either Luetge or Wandy(8)

If Stanton gets IT back, then he would take Peraza's spot, unless either Carpener or Benie isn't ready by then.
    Last edited by Stevemil505; 09-30-2022 at 08:54 PM.

Yup, Anoher K for Stanton. Unless it changes, he is not on my playoff roster!

With Carpenter and Benintendi healthy, the Yankees will have a plethora of options for the playoff roster.

1. Judge RF/CF - sorry to all who want him 2nd or 3rd, they've been winning like this so should continue batting him here.
    2. Benintendi LF
    3. Torres 2B
    4. Rizzo 1B
    5. DJ Lemahiue 3B
    6. Stanton DH
    7. Bader/Carpenter CF/LF
    8. IKF/Oswaldo SS
    9. Trevino C

This is their best lineup depending on LHP or RHP, and they'll have a bench of:
    1. Higgy
    2. IKF/Oswaldo
    3. Donaldson
    4. Choose between Hicks, Peraza, Gonzalez

Definitely the best their lineup has looked all year long and it's good timing. The team is coming together nicely and everyone except Judge will be very well rested.

I think you go with a 4-man rotation, Cole, Nestor, Severino. If you need a 4th, German.
    Bullpen - Taillon/German for length,
    6. Holmes
    7. Loaisiga
    8. Trivino
    9. Marinaccio
    10. Peralta
    11. Scott Effross
    12. Clarke Schmidt
    13. Chapman or Luetge

In the ALDS, the Yankees will play October 11th, 13th, 15th, 16th, 17th.
    10/11 - Cole
    10/13 - Nestor
    10/15 - Sevy
    10/16 - German
    10/17 - Cole

If they make the ALCS
    10/19 - Hopefully Cole
    10/20 - Nestor
    10/22 - Sevy
    10/23 - German
    10/24 - Cole
    10/25 - Nestor
    10/26 - Sevy

World Series
    10/28 - Cole
    10/29 - Nestor
    10/31 - Sevy
    11/1 - German
    11/2 - Cole
    11/4 - Nestor
    11/5 - Sevy

Quote Originally Posted by Stevemil505 View Post
    Yup, Anoher K for Stanton. Unless it changes, he is not on my playoff roster!
    but Fishman ( the head of our anals dept) and the rest of the crew don't believe in hot or cold, lol

Lets just hope Stanton gets in figured out in the games left or he has 4-5 days in between the last game and the ALDS. Hopefully he can get with his swing coach during that time and see if he can't get his balance/timing back

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast