Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Playoff Roster

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    I would throw Cole and Nestor games 4 &5. A game 1 starter in the playoffs is a big deal, but I value the guy who pitches in a win or go home game far more. In a win or go home situation Nestor is the guy I want on the mound. Unlike Cole, I don't think the pressure of the situation would get to Nestor.

I'd actually rather have Sevy start a win or go home game over Cole right now. Cole pitches great most of the time, but he is way to prone to giving up a couple really bad pitches that get hit a longg wayy
    I believe the average MLB pitcher is giving up 37% of their runs on HRs, but Cole is giving up 69% of his runs on HRs (I think he's given up 31 HRs this year). If he'd just get his head out of his butt and focus and not blow up after a little adversity, instead of a pretender, he'd be a top Cy Young contender.

2. 10-03-2022, 12:15 PM

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    I believe the average MLB pitcher is giving up 37% of their runs on HRs, but Cole is giving up 69% of his runs on HRs (I think he's given up 31 HRs this year). If he'd just get his head out of his butt and focus and not blow up after a little adversity, instead of a pretender, he'd be a top Cy Young contender.
    100%

Ignorance is bliss

Doc, about German in the BP. German has been very good in the rotation, but the last month Taillon has been shoving and Taillon showed he can handle the pressure of a big game like he showed last yr.

IMO, short relief is our weakest point of our team right now. IMO German can fill that role and IMO him being able to pitch in that role 3-4 times in a series is far more valuable than getting him in 1 game 4 start. German has also had a lot of success out of the BP, which I think we're going to need to have a chance in the playoffs

IMO, a hot handed reliever is far more valuable in the playoffs than a game 4 starter in a lot of cases, which is why I think German goes to the BP. I can see German coming in in any situation and being able to get 6plus outs in big spots for us. I don't have the same faith in Taillon out of the pen in the same situation

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    agreed

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Doc, about German in the BP. German has been very good in the rotation, but the last month Taillon has been shoving and Taillon showed he can handle the pressure of a big game like he showed last yr.

IMO, short relief is our weakest point of our team right now. IMO German can fill that role and IMO him being able to pitch in that role 3-4 times in a series is far more valuable than getting him in 1 game 4 start. German has also had a lot of success out of the BP, which I think we're going to need to have a chance in the playoffs

IMO, a hot handed reliever is far more valuable in the playoffs than a game 4 starter in a lot of cases, which is why I think German goes to the BP. I can see German coming in in any situation and being able to get 6plus outs in big spots for us. I don't have the same faith in Taillon out of the pen in the same situation
    I agree, it's logical and makes sense. Just seems like he's always getting the ****** end of the stick. The reward for a good performance all season is sticking him in the pen? I understand your reasoning, I am looking at it from his perspective. Doesn't instill a ton of confidence in the manager or FO.

Sell the Team, HAL!

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    I agree, it's logical and makes sense. Just seems like he's always getting the ****** end of the stick. The reward for a good performance all season is sticking him in the pen? I understand your reasoning, I am looking at it from his perspective. Doesn't instill a ton of confidence in the manager or FO.
    I see the bold as a completely separate issue, Boone isn't good and the front office is a mess IMO

German has made 13 starts and has been better than Taillon but not a ton. Taillon has gone at least 5IN giving up 3 ERs or less in all but 1 start dating back to the beginning August.

Then again, I forgot Taillon made a big relief appearance down the stretch, so maybe he can pitch out of the BP. You gotta figure Montas will play some kind of role if they make the ALCS

I guess for me it's a bit like specs for you. I know what German is capable of in the BP and I am far less sure about Taillon or Montas in that same role. I see the BP as the bigger issue than the rotation and we know what German is capable of out of the BP.

Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    Loasigia or Trivino will close if Holmes canít pitch.

Cashman needs to find a closer for next year. We need a 27-29 yr old arm that is established.

I do not like our current crop of relievers to close next season unless Holmes is 100% and command is back. But can you trust him he will be all that?

The other relievers just need to keep their roles with maybe Schmidt going into the rotation to replace Taillon.

And hopefully King get his command and sic movement back for 2024. Forget 2023 as you can see what Britton has gone through.
    Turns out King didn't need the TJS sleeve like Brit got, he just broke that bone. He's expected to be 100% healthy by ST. IMO, if Holmes isn't the closer next yr, I think King gets the 1st shot at the closers role.

I think they have a handful of guys that have the stuff to close, Marinaccio has been a really reliable closer coming up through the system. Lo had a bad 1st half but has been back to being really good the last couple months. If he's somewhere between what he looked like last yr and in the last couple months he certainly could close.

Effross wouldn't be my first choice, but has the stuff to do it.. What I wouldn't give to have Wesneski back and in the BP instead of Effross

King and Holmes are probably the best options we have in house though.

another guy that could be a very interesting BP option is Devi. They moved him to the BP late this yr, added a cutter, his velo ticked up to 98 plus.. He's not going to close, but could be a really good BP arm for us next yr

I don't see a reliever I think they will go for in FA, but a trade for a BP arm could be very realistic

Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    Loasigia or Trivino will close if Holmes canít pitch.

Cashman needs to find a closer for next year. We need a 27-29 yr old arm that is established.

I do not like our current crop of relievers to close next season unless Holmes is 100% and command is back. But can you trust him he will be all that?

The other relievers just need to keep their roles with maybe Schmidt going into the rotation to replace Taillon.

And hopefully King get his command and sic movement back for 2024. Forget 2023 as you can see what Britton has gone through.
    Huh? King isn't getting TJ surgery. There's nothing wrong with his UCL. Both Schmidt and him can go into the rotation since the yankees aren't interested in signing any free agent TORP starters.

I do agree they need to get a closer but there are no closers that young and established, up for free agency. It's easy enough to say they need this and that, but what are the options? The easiest move to make is to bring back Kahle and Robertson, although I think the yankees have permanently soured on the latter. Still, a healthy Kahle would be a huge boost to the bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    Huh? King isn't getting TJ surgery. There's nothing wrong with his UCL. Both Schmidt and him can go into the rotation since the yankees aren't interested in signing any free agent TORP starters.

I do agree they need to get a closer but there are no closers that young and established, up for free agency. It's easy enough to say they need this and that, but what are the options? The easiest move to make is to bring back Kahle and Robertson, although I think the yankees have permanently soured on the latter. Still, a healthy Kahle would be a huge boost to the bullpen.
    Kahnle is not a bad idea. It's a small sample size but his 4-seam velocity is down 2 mph to 95.5 this year. His movement is also down according to baseball savant. He has all offseason to right the ship but I'm not sure they really need him. They're bullpen is crowded and Kahnle is not gonna be the closer anyway. Robertson is in the twilight of his career and is a high probability of busting. I think they're better off just going with what they've got. Someone will emerge as the closer.

The only team that doesnít scare me in the playoffs is Cleveland

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by runnermjr1296 View Post
    The only team that doesnít scare me in the playoffs is Cleveland

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Their roster is far from intimidating but they have been on an absolute tear for the past month.

I kinda want the Rays for a chance at revenge from the covid playoffs.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Outfield/DH: Judge, Bader,Cabrera,Stanton, Carpenter and Hicks (6)
    Infield: Rizzo,DJ, Torres,Peraza, IKF,JD (6)
    Catcher: Trevino,Higgy (2)
    SP: Cole, Nestor, Sevy, Taillon(4)
    RP: Holmes, Trivino, Lo,Abreu, Castro, Luetge,German Schmidt (8)
    Just couldn't justify including Chapman. Gonzales makes it if Carp isn't ready by the 11th.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevemil505 View Post
    Outfield/DH: Judge, Bader,Cabrera,Stanton, Carpenter and Hicks (6)
    Infield: Rizzo,DJ, Torres,Peraza, IKF,JD (6)
    Catcher: Trevino,Higgy (2)
    SP: Cole, Nestor, Sevy, Taillon(4)
    RP: Holmes, Trivino, Lo,Abreu, Castro, Luetge,German Schmidt (8)
    Just couldn't justify including Chapman. Gonzales makes it if Carp isn't ready by the 11th.
    Effross and Wandy will be in the BP over 2 of Abreau, Castro or Luetage or should be.

All Analytics Roster includes Montas, Chapman and all injured players.

Seriously, I think we're all in the same ballpark. I don't like the lack of LH pitching, especially against the Rays, if they beat the Guardians, so Wandy and Luetge likely make the team. Brit hasn't pitched enough to do so and Chapman is on the bubble about to fall off, but will he?

Higashioka had a really good September and October. I'm interested to see how the playing time breaks down with him and Trevino. Now that Higgy learned to hit line drives, he's a better hitter and paradoxically is hitting more homeruns again.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast