Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Playoff Roster

Quote Originally Posted by Stevemil505 View Post
    My position players: Judge, Cabrera,Benie,Bader,Hicks
    Rizzo,DJ,JD,Torres,IKF, Carpenter,Peraza
    Trevino, Higgy (14)

SP: Cole, Sevy,Taillon, Cortes (4):
    RP: Holmes, Marinaccio, Lo, German, Effross, Schmidt, Trivino, and either Luetge or Wandy(8)

If Stanton gets IT back, then he would take Peraza's spot, unless either Carpener or Benie isn't ready by then.
    Stanton has been the only guy to mash every October since he's been here. Even the seasons where he missed 80% of the games, dude has shown up in October and raked. No way he's left off.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Stanton has been the only guy to mash every October since he's been here. Even the seasons where he missed 80% of the games, dude has shown up in October and raked. No way he's left off.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    agreed. No matter how badly he's looked in the regular season or how much time he missed, he's raked every yr in the playoffs for us.

His swing and balance looked much better today, hopefully he can build off that the next 5 games. Continue to refine it at their alt site while they are waiting for their ALDS opponent and rake starting game 1

Quote Originally Posted by Phoba Rama View Post
    With Carpenter and Benintendi healthy, the Yankees will have a plethora of options for the playoff roster.

1. Judge RF/CF - sorry to all who want him 2nd or 3rd, they've been winning like this so should continue batting him here.
    2. Benintendi LF
    3. Torres 2B
    4. Rizzo 1B
    5. DJ Lemahiue 3B
    6. Stanton DH
    7. Bader/Carpenter CF/LF
    8. IKF/Oswaldo SS
    9. Trevino C

This is their best lineup depending on LHP or RHP, and they'll have a bench of:
    1. Higgy
    2. IKF/Oswaldo
    3. Donaldson
    4. Choose between Hicks, Peraza, Gonzalez

Definitely the best their lineup has looked all year long and it's good timing. The team is coming together nicely and everyone except Judge will be very well rested.

I think you go with a 4-man rotation, Cole, Nestor, Severino. If you need a 4th, German.
    Bullpen - Taillon/German for length,
    6. Holmes
    7. Loaisiga
    8. Trivino
    9. Marinaccio
    10. Peralta
    11. Scott Effross
    12. Clarke Schmidt
    13. Chapman or Luetge

In the ALDS, the Yankees will play October 11th, 13th, 15th, 16th, 17th.
    10/11 - Cole
    10/13 - Nestor
    10/15 - Sevy
    10/16 - German
    10/17 - Cole

If they make the ALCS
    10/19 - Hopefully Cole
    10/20 - Nestor
    10/22 - Sevy
    10/23 - German
    10/24 - Cole
    10/25 - Nestor
    10/26 - Sevy

World Series
    10/28 - Cole
    10/29 - Nestor
    10/31 - Sevy
    11/1 - German
    11/2 - Cole
    11/4 - Nestor
    11/5 - Sevy
    It doesn't sound like they expect Benny to be ready by the 1st round..

I'm starting to hear some rumblings that they may keep Peraza on the roster as a late inning sub/ pinch runner.

With Carp, DJ and Stanton all not running well, they are going to have to put someone on the roster to be a pinch runner. IMO, Flo is the fastest and best base runner of the possible choices and he can provide really strong late inning defense if needed. It would be an incredible late inning OF alignment of Flo LF, Bader CF and Judge in RF. They'd be able to cover massive amount of ground and all have accurate cannons for arms. All that said, they probably go with Hicks for that role.. SMH

With the built in rest days, I think they probably go with a 3 man rotation in the 1st round. Cole would go game 4 if necessary on 4 days rest. The thing that really makes me think they may go that way is Nestor would be your game 5 starter if necessary. In a win or go home game, he's the pitcher I want on the mound instead of Cole.

I'm not sure how you put Chapman on that roster and trust him for 3 batters or more. Last night he threw more pitches in the mid 80's, with his FB ranging from 93-97, than he did pitches 95 plus.. So glad that contract is over this yr.

The Holmes situation doesn't help, he got the cortisone shot and has 10 days to rest. Hopefully that takes care of that.

It amazes me how valuable of a reliever King became in such a short period of time. If he were healthy and we still had all these BP concerns, I'd be far, far more confident in our late inning situation.

The bats are all get healthy and hot at the right time to make a run. Maybe Cashman's master plan of getting healthy and hot just before the playoffs is going to work?

If Benintendi isn't 100% they should leave him off. His major asset is his speed and defensive range as a result. If he can't run all out he's compromised and imo his bat doesn't compensate.

Sell the Team, HAL!

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    If Benintendi isn't 100% they should leave him off. His major asset is his speed and defensive range as a result. If he can't run all out he's compromised and imo his bat doesn't compensate.
    What happened? Did he injure his leg or is there concern running full out will reinsure the hand?

I agree. If he's not ready, hold him out, same for DJ

Ignorance is bliss

According to the Daily News: "If heís healthy enough, Carpenterís combination of playoff experience (50 career postseason games) and 2022 production (.305/.412/.727 slash line in 154 plate appearances) should give him the upper hand. Even if Carpenter is not starting, he is an obvious candidate for late-inning pinch hit appearances. Against right-handed pitching, Carpenter is a much better option than Kiner-Falefa or even Trevino, the surprise All-Star whose OPS has dropped by nearly 100 points in the second half of the season." https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...5ce-story.html

Sell the Team, HAL!

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    What happened? Did he injure his leg or is there concern running full out will reinsure the hand?

I agree. If he's not ready, hold him out, same for DJ
    My bad. I'm old. I got his injury confused with DJ. His issue is gripping the bat and catching.
    Last edited by drt1010; 10-01-2022 at 05:48 PM.

Sell the Team, HAL!

What has Carp done to earn a spot compared to what Stanton has done all season. Even Benintendi, has he proven himself worthy? He played in 33 games with 114 AB's. Don't misunderstand I like both these guys, but they have spent more time sitting on the IL than playing. I like Benintendi's glove, but the potential for big game hits in Stanton's bat just can't be ignored. Granted he is having an off year, statistically one of his worst.

He is walking at a 11.1 percent rate, and striking out 29.1 percent of the time. Both numbers are well in line with his career marks of 11.6 and 28.1 respectively.

When it comes to hitting the ball hard, Stanton is pretty much always going to do that to a certain extent; when he makes the contact, the ball flies. That hasnít really changed, even as heís struggled. Stantonís hard contact rate, which measures the number of balls heís hit at or above 95 mph, currently sits at 31.4, not that far off from what he put up in 2021, and better than in other recent seasons. By Baseball Savant, he remains in the top two percent of the league.

The biggest difference between the Stanton of now and of the recent past is his performance on balls in play. Stantonís current career low in BABIP came in 2017 with a .288 mark. He is in line to completely shatter mark with a .228 number this season. https://www.pinstripealley.com/2022/...slump-statcast
    What has Carpenter done vs Stanton. Well for starters, he's hit 15 home runs in 128 ABs; that is one every 8.5 ABs versus Stanton's one every 14 ABs. I would guess Carp's rate is probably the best in MLB (with the possible exception being Aaron Judge's with his amazing 61 dingers). Oh, did I mention he is hitting .305 versus Stanton's .209? Have you forgotten how many clutch hits he had (per Michael Kay's call "He's done it again!" ) Benie's case is weaker, I agree though.

What has Carpenter done vs Stanton. Well for starters, he's hit 15 home runs in 128 ABs; that is one every 8.5 ABs versus Stanton's one every 14 ABs. I would guess Carp's rate is probably the best in MLB (with the possible exception being Aaron Judge's with his amazing 61 dingers). Oh, did I mention he is hitting .305 versus Stanton's .209? Have you forgotten how many clutch hits he had (per Michael Kay's call "He's done it again!" ) Benie's case is weaker, I agree though.
    Very small sample for Carp.

Yankees caught lightening in a bottle with Carp. A 36 yr old vet grasping for one last chance to the show. Can we expect after months on the IL he will somehow resume where he left off? I don't think so. I wish him well. I hope he writes the greatest Cinderella story ever written. But I'm also a realist. How long will it take to get his timing back? Get into game shape, ect.?

Sell the Team, HAL!

The magic was already wearing out

What has Carp done to earn a spot compared to what Stanton has done all season. Even Benintendi, has he proven himself worthy? He played in 33 games with 114 AB's. Don't misunderstand I like both these guys, but they have spent more time sitting on the IL than playing. I like Benintendi's glove, but the potential for big game hits in Stanton's bat just can't be ignored. Granted he is having an off year, statistically one of his worst.

He is walking at a 11.1 percent rate, and striking out 29.1 percent of the time. Both numbers are well in line with his career marks of 11.6 and 28.1 respectively.

When it comes to hitting the ball hard, Stanton is pretty much always going to do that to a certain extent; when he makes the contact, the ball flies. That hasnít really changed, even as heís struggled. Stantonís hard contact rate, which measures the number of balls heís hit at or above 95 mph, currently sits at 31.4, not that far off from what he put up in 2021, and better than in other recent seasons. By Baseball Savant, he remains in the top two percent of the league.

The biggest difference between the Stanton of now and of the recent past is his performance on balls in play. Stantonís current career low in BABIP came in 2017 with a .288 mark. He is in line to completely shatter mark with a .228 number this season. https://www.pinstripealley.com/2022/...slump-statcast

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    agreed. No matter how badly he's looked in the regular season or how much time he missed, he's raked every yr in the playoffs for us.

His swing and balance looked much better today, hopefully he can build off that the next 5 games. Continue to refine it at their alt site while they are waiting for their ALDS opponent and rake starting game 1
    I hope he does look better over the next 5 games. "Good Stanton" makes the Yanks lineup much better. "Bad Stanton" makes it much worse.

Just checked; if Judge was homering at Carpenter's rate, Judge would have 65 homers by now. His rate is one homer per 9.1 ABs.

Just checked; if Judge was homering at Carpenter's rate, Judge would have 65 homers by now. His rate is one homer per 9.1 ABs.
    BUM.. whatever they do don't resign him... I mean he's gotten tons of pitches down the dick and can't hit them out ( according to Johnny) for number 62 . If he doesn't hit number 62, why even put him on the playoff roster

Carp is going to have to prove he's healthy and hitting before they make him the DH for the playoffs.

I tend to think they will give it to Stanton because of his past playoff performance, his ability to carry a team when he's hot and not starting Stanton means someone would actually have to answer some very difficult question. Cashman like answering those kind of questions less than he likes trading for trash starters.

I think if Carp shows that he's healthy and hot maybe he gets some of the DH spots against better RH pitcher that throw hard.

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    BUM.. whatever they do don't resign him... I mean he's gotten tons of pitches down the dick and can't hit them out ( according to Johnny) for number 62 . If he doesn't hit number 62, why even put him on the playoff roster

Carp is going to have to prove he's healthy and hitting before they make him the DH for the playoffs.

I tend to think they will give it to Stanton because of his past playoff performance, his ability to carry a team when he's hot and not starting Stanton means someone would actually have to answer some very difficult question. Cashman like answering those kind of questions less than he likes trading for trash starters.

I think if Carp shows that he's healthy and hot maybe he gets some of the DH spots against better RH pitcher that throw hard.
    Agreed!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast