Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Play Ball

Play Ball

Any you guys ever play organized ball? Little League or up

I currently play in a wood bat mens league. Literally the highlight of my summer every year.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    I currently play in a wood bat mens league. Literally the highlight of my summer every year.
    That's way higher than I got. I played one year of little league when I was about 10.

I ended up rides the pines most the time. They weren't long getting rid of me once they seen my skills. Those older kids took it some serious. I threw to wrong base from right field, costs us a big game. I thought they were going to kill me. I never went back the next year. I said if I do anything else wrong be the end of me.

I played up until 18. Played rep when I was 7 and 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
    That's way higher than I got. I played one year of little league when I was about 10.

I ended up rides the pines most the time. They weren't long getting rid of me once they seen my skills. Those older kids took it some serious. I threw to wrong base from right field, costs us a big game. I thought they were going to kill me. I never went back the next year. I said if I do anything else wrong be the end of me.
    Sucks you got benched. I thought everybody hits in little league? Thatís the way it was when I played. Outside of rep ball that is.

Sucks you got benched. I thought everybody hits in little league? Thatís the way it was when I played. Outside of rep ball that is.
    This was back in 1975. Was no t-ball or anything. Reached 10 you could play. Little League back then was ages 10-13. I was no good why they benched me. Strikeout most everytime, slow runner. It was my first year playing.

A sunny day the next summer car with 8-10 kids hauled in driveway. A kid in grade 6 was holding a ball out passenger window, said little league tryout tonight at ball field. You want a ride? I said nope I got to go help my grandfather tonight. I never I just said that. I wasn't going to get mixed up in that again another summer

I never got the opportunity to play baseball. Itís a shame because I think I would have been really good at it. Single mom just kept hammering me into soccer because it was cheap even though I hated it.

My son however, 7years old and just smashes at the plate. We go into the local field and I just pitch him meatballs and he is absolutely a prodigy. Makes contact with everything that comes his way. Better than me, my wife, or my 10 year old. I see my 10 year old get embarrassed but itís like, donít compare yourself to him, heís special lol. And itís nice to discover this now while heís still so young.

Played til 10th grade then moved from PA to buffalo and parents made me play something to meet people so I picked soccer.
    Due to a loophole , coaches policy was all 10th grade tryouts automatically made jv team.

So I got the pleasure of running miles everyday in practice so I was in good shape to watch from the bench.
    To this day, Iím not sure why I didnít just tell my parents I got cut in tryouts. Had fun though, made friends Iím still friends with 25 years later.

Got 5 kids and they all in baseball. As much as I love baseball, thatís a **** ton of youth baseball to watch. 2 in travel. They also do wrestling, basketball and one in jv soccer now.

Quote Originally Posted by wamco View Post
    Played til 10th grade then moved from PA to buffalo and parents made me play something to meet people so I picked soccer.
    Due to a loophole , coaches policy was all 10th grade tryouts automatically made jv team.

So I got the pleasure of running miles everyday in practice so I was in good shape to watch from the bench.
    To this day, Iím not sure why I didnít just tell my parents I got cut in tryouts. Had fun though, made friends Iím still friends with 25 years later.

Got 5 kids and they all in baseball. As much as I love baseball, thatís a **** ton of youth baseball to watch. 2 in travel. They also do wrestling, basketball and one in jv soccer now.
    Yeah soccer was ********. I totally agree with your sentiments. The only thing I miss about it is blowing up huge slide tackles. I had 2 incidents of guys trying to fight me mid game.

Congrats on the litter!

Started playing organized baseball when I was about 8. Loved to catch but was 2nd best catcher on the team so they made me a shortstop and that's where I stayed until senior baseball. In my first year of bantam, I stole home 3 times in a tournament, twice in the final game, scoring the winning run on my second steal. Graduated to men's baseball at 16 and got a good humbling. 6 of us little star players we're anything but stars when we got to the adult league, (14 team league). Took 3 years to get established and my last year, (7th year), I was fortunate to be named the north div. all-star shortstop at our annual league all-star game. Was 23 then. That was my last year of baseball.

Got married and my wife and I played co-ed slo-pitch and our team eventually became a very competitive co-ed slow pitch team, going to slo pitch nationals in 1996 in Winnipeg and 1997 in Calgary. It was a great experience!

One of my fondest memories is how fundamentally sound our defense was on our slo-pitch team was. Hitting cut-offs, throwing to the right base, just playing really good defense. My last 10 years of slo-pitch I changed over to pitching, and it truly is an art. Location, spin, varying arc, all plays a role in the game. I had a pitcher in 1996 who threw a knuckleball in one of our slo-pitch national games into a strong wind. Some funky swings and even the opposition had a laugh at how hard it was to hit the damn ball.

lots of great memories of my ball experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasky05 View Post
    Started playing organized baseball when I was about 8. Loved to catch but was 2nd best catcher on the team so they made me a shortstop and that's where I stayed until senior baseball. In my first year of bantam, I stole home 3 times in a tournament, twice in the final game, scoring the winning run on my second steal. Graduated to men's baseball at 16 and got a good humbling. 6 of us little star players we're anything but stars when we got to the adult league, (14 team league). Took 3 years to get established and my last year, (7th year), I was fortunate to be named the north div. all-star shortstop at our annual league all-star game. Was 23 then. That was my last year of baseball.

Got married and my wife and I played co-ed slo-pitch and our team eventually became a very competitive co-ed slow pitch team, going to slo pitch nationals in 1996 in Winnipeg and 1997 in Calgary. It was a great experience!

One of my fondest memories is how fundamentally sound our defense was on our slo-pitch team was. Hitting cut-offs, throwing to the right base, just playing really good defense. My last 10 years of slo-pitch I changed over to pitching, and it truly is an art. Location, spin, varying arc, all plays a role in the game. I had a pitcher in 1996 who threw a knuckleball in one of our slo-pitch national games into a strong wind. Some funky swings and even the opposition had a laugh at how hard it was to hit the damn ball.

lots of great memories of my ball experiences.
    Couldnít imagine how much fun itíd be to play slo pitch with my gf. That mustíve been so much fun, getting to play with your wife.

I played slo pitch for a few years before eventually finding the baseball league I currently play in. It was lots of fun and way more strategic on the hitting side of things. Placing the ball and what not. The current SS on my team played SS in slo pitch for the last decade or so before making the jump. Dude has a cannon for an arm and I can only imagine tossing the softball helped.

Considering others have gone into detail, Iíll join in.

7 inning games with pitchers being able to throw 3 innings max. Each team has at least 1 guy that throws between 75-80mph. The league has one guy that throws 85mph but doesnít have any good off-speed pitches (thank goodness). Everybody hits.

Our team won the championship this past weekend. Swept a best of 3 series. We had good pitching but werenít the best. We had good hitting but we werenít the best. The thing about us is that we were far and away the best defensive team while also being lethal on the base paths. Our ace didnít get a lot of Kís but he had 2 solid off speed pitches that induced tons of ground balls. Our next best pitcher had a nasty sinker/splitter combo. Having the best SS in the league ended up helping a ton. Iím the catcher.

Congratulations Reed! Great to hear about your team's success!

Considering others have gone into detail, Iíll join in.

7 inning games with pitchers being able to throw 3 innings max. Each team has at least 1 guy that throws between 75-80mph. The league has one guy that throws 85mph but doesnít have any good off-speed pitches (thank goodness). Everybody hits.

Our team won the championship this past weekend. Swept a best of 3 series. We had good pitching but werenít the best. We had good hitting but we werenít the best. The thing about us is that we were far and away the best defensive team while also being lethal on the base paths. Our ace didnít get a lot of Kís but he had 2 solid off speed pitches that induced tons of ground balls. Our next best pitcher had a nasty sinker/splitter combo. Having the best SS in the league ended up helping a ton. Iím the catcher.
    Thatís awesome congrats brother.

Chong/reed,

Who deserves more credit for reedís championship? The current manager or the one that put the original pieces of the team together.

You probably have never really thought about it this way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast