Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    The point with the Gomez trade is less about who won and more about value. Gomez was immensely valuable when he was being shopped. Whether he stink afterwards or not doesn't really matter, his value matters. And it worked out becusse hader was awesome. But if hader wasn't awesome, a couple years of a solid 3rd OF in Santana and a couple years of a good #4 starter in houser isnt a huge win. If we are trading burnes and end up just getting a few solid major leaguers, we've taken ourself out of contention most likely unless we are awesome in the draft.

If we stunk and had no chance at even competing next year'l, you make those trades 10 times out of 10. But we have a shot at competing, and that makes it hard to take on the risk of dealing Burnes. Like go back 5 years and look at the 2017 top prospect lists. It's a crapshoot, even in the top 25. There's some definite studs, there's some big time busts and there's a variety of just dudes. There's like yoan moncada types who have had 2 years of 4+ WAR but also has 2 years of sub 2 WAR. That's where there's some big risk. I don't think we'll get full busts who never play like Miami did for Yeli, but even just getting a couple solid guy isn't probably going to be a huge help long term.

I love gasser too. He could be really good. Wouldn't be the first pitching prospect to underwhelm though either. I'm excited but not writing it off as a win yet.
    That's why I think if the Brewers miss the playoffs I can see them moving on now and maximizing value. I think they'd risk more if they yet again make the playoffs and go for it one more year.

Either way, this offseason is going to be fascinating. The Brewers have 7 OFs either ready or knocking on the door of the majors. It's going to be intriguing what they do/who they go with. Yeli, Renfroe, TT, Mitchell, Frelick, Ruiz, Weimer are all either in majors or knocking at the door.

I think Turang is nearly a given to be up. Feliciano is more uncertain but right now he likely would be a platoon 2nd C. Can't be worse than Narvaez anyway as far as offense. Defensively Feliciano leaves a lot to be desired from what I have read.

Also with Mitchell/Frelick one of them is up probably Mitchell for service time reasons with Frelick since GM already up. But every young guy coming up isn't a power hitter. Which is fine, but I think that all but assures Renfroe back. Today you need power if Turang/CF is not a power hitter. I like TT as a 4th OFer but I could see him traded or play vs. lefties and be backup another year. But it is going to be so interesting seeing the roster construction unfold in the next year or two particularly in the OF. Could trade a few OF prospects for a win-now piece even...

The last 2 losses are so perfect. Williams is good so it's hard to blame him, but having a closer who isn't hader blow a game that was killer, and then the next day having Urias and Taylor get out with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 11th to win a crucial game with turang and frelick sitting in the minors is just so perfect.

The last 2 losses are so perfect. Williams is good so it's hard to blame him, but having a closer who isn't hader blow a game that was killer, and then the next day having Urias and Taylor get out with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 11th to win a crucial game with turang and frelick sitting in the minors is just so perfect.
    THose were two of the final nails, but the season was destined to be over earlier because of an offense with same issues as last year. I think the guys who were with MKE all year in the pen were just gassed. Also said it at the time but the Hader trade sucked for this year's team and screwed up the clubhouse now I think might move on from Burnes unless Yeli like deal with some of our prospects for a guy and go for it 1 more year. Rogers fu***** sucks. Sliders down the middle constantly. I said this on Twitter a few times not sure how he was a closer, saw him suck with Twins and then had 4.5 ERA with SD

Close game after close game because the offense cant ever score enough to blow a team out. Rowdy Tellez must be like 10 for his last 80. Jace Peterson has like 2 hits since coming back. McCutchen, C position, Jace etc all .700 OPS or below. Urias sucks not an every day guy. I don't mind TT and he is super cheap so that's nice. He is kind of a perfect 4th OF. I think Frelick is in minors until July 1 for service time reasons next year also.

Turang will be everyday 2B. The Brewers have the prospects to make another Yeli like deal not sure who is out there in a similar situation they could nab. Then flip Burnes after next year for still a good haul or pair a Ruiz with Burnes.

This is going to be a fascinating offseason in MKE to see what happens/moves are made and how say the OF shakes out over the next year and beyond.
    Last edited by gopackgo87; 10-04-2022 at 12:37 AM.

It really is sort of a crossroads type offseason. Stearns has 1 year left. The Mets have an opening at president or some role like that. I really wonder if we let the Mets buy him out and look at a mini rebuild.

I know Arnold has already been doing it to an extent, but give him the keys and an extension so he's not focused on win now and say let's rebuild fairly quickly. We think chourio is about 2 years away and by that point woody and burnes are probably gone. So let's reset for 2 years. Still be pre arb for guys like frelick and turang. Give wiemer another full year to season in AAA. Maybe try to extend Adames as a show of good will to the fans that we aren't completely tanking so that he's around for the chourio years.

It really is sort of a crossroads type offseason. Stearns has 1 year left. The Mets have an opening at president or some role like that. I really wonder if we let the Mets buy him out and look at a mini rebuild.

I know Arnold has already been doing it to an extent, but give him the keys and an extension so he's not focused on win now and say let's rebuild fairly quickly. We think chourio is about 2 years away and by that point woody and burnes are probably gone. So let's reset for 2 years. Still be pre arb for guys like frelick and turang. Give wiemer another full year to season in AAA. Maybe try to extend Adames as a show of good will to the fans that we aren't completely tanking so that he's around for the chourio years.
    I agree, it is hard to go full rebuild imo because the NL Central is so down. Could probably rebuild and actually compete with who Brewers would still have on the roster. I wonder if this is a pretty similar offseason as far as signing guys when the price is right or just basically sign no one. I think there are some rotation depth guys who could be had and maybe a Christian Vasquez as a catcher to pair with Caratini as it sounds like Feliciano is kind of a disaster behind the plate. It is very intresting to see if the Brewers go one more try with Burnes/Woody or trade them this offseason. I think depends on the return but definitely open to it.

I can see the offseason going differently trade OF surplus for a controllable piece like Yelich type trade or go pretty much rebuild. I mean, Turang is likely going to start at 2B, all but a given. I think Mitchell probably starts most games. Other than that not sure for the young guys. Like I said this is going to be a fascinating offseason in MKE.

I struggle with Mitchell. The numbers were good in his brief stint. But the way he accomplished it doesnt seem sustainable. His babip was over 500. He didn't really have great hard hit rates. He lived on a fair amount of infield hits. That profile can maybe work (frelick may be similar), but for that to work, you have to put the ball in play a ton. You can't strike out over 40% of the time like Mitchell did. Heck, anything over 25% is going to be virtually unsustainable. I think you're right that he's going to given a shot to start everyday. That being said, I'd be more than okay giving him the Lewis Brinson treatment and seeing if there's some folks who value him fairly highly. I much prefer frelick long term.

I struggle with Mitchell. The numbers were good in his brief stint. But the way he accomplished it doesnt seem sustainable. His babip was over 500. He didn't really have great hard hit rates. He lived on a fair amount of infield hits. That profile can maybe work (frelick may be similar), but for that to work, you have to put the ball in play a ton. You can't strike out over 40% of the time like Mitchell did. Heck, anything over 25% is going to be virtually unsustainable. I think you're right that he's going to given a shot to start everyday. That being said, I'd be more than okay giving him the Lewis Brinson treatment and seeing if there's some folks who value him fairly highly. I much prefer frelick long term.
    Yeah I know that power-wise they think Mitchell has more long-term potential in that regard but he hasn't really shown it at any level in Brewers system. I like the hit tool better for Frelick and speed seems similar although Mitchell can fly.

What does a potential Burnes trade look like for a return for the Brewers? Also crewfan as we get close to offseason,do you think Burnes is dealt? Woody? Both?

What do you think the Brewers do this offseason? Go for one more try or a pseudo rebuild?

Also I don't get the people saying look at the Phillies going on this run......that's why Stearns said the bites at the apple line..... uh......the Phillies spent a crapload of $$$.....Nova, Wheeler pitching, hitting they have paid Harper, Schwarber, Castellanos, Realmuto, Segura.....I mean not like it's similar to the Brewers bite at the apple, they went for it. Just because the records were similar, the Phils had a much better shot to go on a run because they have a very talented roster.

Sounds like the Brewers are listening on burnes. But I get the feeling this is going to be similar to all the years we heard hader might be available. I bet they are listening but need to be absolutely blown away.

I'm not sure what I want them to do, but the prospect package for burnes would be insane. Have to wonder what we could actually get and if we can line it up with chourio a bit better than we currently are.

I know we've talked about this ad nauseum, but it feels like there's 3 options for the Brewers this off-season.

One is all in. Keep burnes and woody, maybe even try to extend them plus Adames. But even if we don't extend them, we actually make moves to win this year. Maybe even trade young talent for immediate help.

Two is the full rebuild. Trade at least 1 of burnes or woody, but probably trade both. Maybe even trade Adames. Put all our assets towards the Chourio time frame.

Option three is the middlimf option. It's trade one of woody or burnes and possible extend the other. Make moves to win now and sell. It's basically the try to win 90 games startegy we've employed the last 5 years. We aren't trying to win 100 or get the 1 seedz it's be competitive in the division. Our trade packages include controllable big league ready guys who don't have studs potential. We make a combo of trades for some prospects and some cheap guys. We actually sell some prospects while buying others.

I don't want them to do option 3. But I think we should expect them to probably do option 3.

I know we've talked about this ad nauseum, but it feels like there's 3 options for the Brewers this off-season.

One is all in. Keep burnes and woody, maybe even try to extend them plus Adames. But even if we don't extend them, we actually make moves to win this year. Maybe even trade young talent for immediate help.

Two is the full rebuild. Trade at least 1 of burnes or woody, but probably trade both. Maybe even trade Adames. Put all our assets towards the Chourio time frame.

Option three is the middlimf option. It's trade one of woody or burnes and possible extend the other. Make moves to win now and sell. It's basically the try to win 90 games startegy we've employed the last 5 years. We aren't trying to win 100 or get the 1 seedz it's be competitive in the division. Our trade packages include controllable big league ready guys who don't have studs potential. We make a combo of trades for some prospects and some cheap guys. We actually sell some prospects while buying others.

I don't want them to do option 3. But I think we should expect them to probably do option 3.
    I would actually rather do option or sort of? I would sign Woodruff to extension but move others for controllable young talent. I mean if Renfroe hitting 29 homers with 2 IL stints is too expensive at 11M then this team should sell. The Wong move is a head scratcher with Turang seemingly ready to at least get a shot at everyday role.

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/stat...80219871625216

Well there goes Renfroe. Seems fairly underwhelming, but to your point, I think it was more of a salary dump to get something out of him instead of just a non tender.

Looking at the guys we got, Im doubting any of them ever are super valuable, but the Brewers have had some success with making something out of guys in the past, so I wouldn't at all be surprised if 1 or 2 of them turned into reasonable middle relief guys. Junk was bad last year but some peripherals didn't look horrible. Just from looking at his small mlb samples in fangraphs, it looks like he changed who he was a bit last year and threw his slider a lot more than he did in the past. Maybe the Brewers think they can change the profile. Peguero has some decent velocity, averaging 96 on his fastball. He's not been good in his limited appearances in the bigs, but his AAA numbers are good. And the lefty we got seems very suter-esque. Really good athlete who throws 4 pitchers. Doesn't have any real plus pitches outside of a decent changeup. But seems to be a guy who competes and all that crap. He's absolutely the type of profile that the Brewers have maximized in the past.

I could see Wong being something similar to be honest. I think the Brewers gauged the market and see he has value. Maybe they don't deal him this winter, but I could see him being on the block now and into next season. Turang deserves a chance for sure, but I think Wong is on a reasonable deal that they think they can move.

I'm interested in this off-season. I think the rumors of potentially shopping burnes and maybe even Adames are probably at least semi true. I don't anticipate the Brewers being super active early on. The Renfroe deal makes sense and I could see a Wong deal like I labeled above. But I have a feeling well just kind of lurk for a bit. Then once that first wave of FA is sorted out, well re-evaluate at that time. Will there be a big spender team that misses out on their preferred FAs? Like do teams that lose out on Degrom, Rodon and that tier of pitcher pivot to burnes and want to overpay. Or does someone sign a few guys to massive deals to win now and want to give up prospects for Burnes on a pretty reasonable deal for 2 years instead of having to pay huge money to a top guy? Same with any teams that may miss out on Correa, turner and the rest of the SS groupings. Can you find someone willing to overpay for a cheap Adames to counteract that?;

And if they can't, then I could see us keeping those guys and trying out the budget FA groups. Like can we get a Mitch haniger or someone has a reasonable cost replacement for Renfroe? That's kind of where I see us sitting. Basically half in/half out to make sure we can't get insane value for our controllable talent.

I'm very much on the **** or get off the can mindset with the Brewers now. Seeing rumors of interest in wily and burnes. To me, either trade them both, probably trade woodruff too, or make moves to actually win. I'm sick of the half in, half our crap. If we aren't willing to spend, go get a boatload of prospects for our guys and try to reload for Chourio and friends like we did with weeks, fielder, braun, hardy and hart.

I'm very much on the **** or get off the can mindset with the Brewers now. Seeing rumors of interest in wily and burnes. To me, either trade them both, probably trade woodruff too, or make moves to actually win. I'm sick of the half in, half our crap. If we aren't willing to spend, go get a boatload of prospects for our guys and try to reload for Chourio and friends like we did with weeks, fielder, braun, hardy and hart.
    Yeah probably. But I still want to see them keep Woodruff. It probably isn't smart but I like Woodruff more than others. Adames makes sense to wait after this wave of FA SS picks their spot and one of the losers on the sweepstakes may overpay prospect wise. Same with Burnes, a P starved team like TEX if they miss out on big FAs may sweeten the pot and pay boatload of prospects throw in a Heim as a C

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast