Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wolves 2022-23' Preseason Thread

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

So not surprisingly, the national media is not picking us for HCA, or curious as to how the KAT-Gobert pairing will work. I feel most of us are very level headed, so I wanted to get your take, predictions, awards, etc.

I will go first. These assumptions are based on normal health.

Record: 54-28
    Finish: 3rd in Western Conference
    Playoffs: Lose in 2nd round
    Awards: Gobert 1st team all Defense
    Towns 2nd team all NBA
    Towns/Edwards all stars

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

So not surprisingly, the national media is not picking us for HCA, or curious as to how the KAT-Gobert pairing will work. I feel most of us are very level headed, so I wanted to get your take, predictions, awards, etc.

Towns 2nd team all NBA
    Towns/Edwards all stars
    I think this is about my expectations as well, I might add a win or two but that would be about it really. Towns 3rd team for awards but I also think Ant may take that jump to all star (and fans like him a lot). My hope would be more like 57 wins, WCF, Ant on 3rd team as well but what you have seems pretty close to what we should expect. That's a decent improvement off last year even if not quite where we probably are hoping to end up.

Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    I think this is about my expectations as well, I might add a win or two but that would be about it really. Towns 3rd team for awards but I also think Ant may take that jump to all star (and fans like him a lot). My hope would be more like 57 wins, WCF, Ant on 3rd team as well but what you have seems pretty close to what we should expect. That's a decent improvement off last year even if not quite where we probably are hoping to end up.
    yeah the more I think about it, if Ant is going to be what I (and many of us) think he can be, this year may not be too early to be an all NBA player. Obviously you take any and everything offseason with a grain of salt, but he apparently looks amazing right now, and has taken this summer very seriously. We will see how that translates...

If he is Wade with a jumper, as I have claimed him to be, he enters top 10 in the game territory this year. Lofty expectations, I know. But a 20 year old who did what he did in round 1, after his first 2 years? And his confidence? Let's go!!

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Towns 2nd team all NBA
    Towns/Edwards all stars
    I like those projections…

I’m super high on Towns. I believe his mom dying destroyed him and his game for a while. If he’s putting in work this off season he can be a top 5 player in the nba.

Ant is amazing, Sky is the limit. I think he’ll be the best SG in the nba at some point

quick thoughts from the first 2 games:

Ant looked like MJ in game 1, but more lethargic in game 2. His defensive intensity is noticeable. Gobert will erase our defensive rebounding issues alone, and if Ant/Jaden can grab 5-6 a night, we should be better than average, which is a huge step.

Our bench has more depth than we are being given credit for. Now, if Ant/Gobert/Towns/Russell miss extended time, that is tough to replace, but if we stay healthy enough, our bench will be better than most think.

Once our perimeter players understand how to use Gobert correctly, our offense should be awesome.

4 games in, and while I knew there would be some growing to do, I didn't think we would be this bad chemistry wise.

Gobert is playing fine, but our guys don't have any idea what drop coverage means. We are giving up a ton of good open shots every night. Our rebounding has improved the last 2 games, but still not good outside our bigs at all.

KAT has SUCKED. In every portion of the game.
    Ant can't keep pulling no shows. He just can't, it's not acceptable.
    D-Lo has played ok
    J-Mac needs to be more consistent, and defensively he hasn't been good.
    Our bench is basically Nowell, and we hope another guy is playing well that night. Anderson being out already hurts.

Long story short, John K was right, this team will take 20-30 games to gel, and while 50 wins might still be in the crystal ball, they better figure this out sooner rather than later. The effort level is bad, bad, bad.

4 games in, and while I knew there would be some growing to do, I didn't think we would be this bad chemistry wise.

Gobert is playing fine, but our guys don't have any idea what drop coverage means. We are giving up a ton of good open shots every night. Our rebounding has improved the last 2 games, but still not good outside our bigs at all.

KAT has SUCKED. In every portion of the game.
    Ant can't keep pulling no shows. He just can't, it's not acceptable.
    D-Lo has played ok
    J-Mac needs to be more consistent, and defensively he hasn't been good.
    Our bench is basically Nowell, and we hope another guy is playing well that night. Anderson being out already hurts.

Long story short, John K was right, this team will take 20-30 games to gel, and while 50 wins might still be in the crystal ball, they better figure this out sooner rather than later. The effort level is bad, bad, bad.
    well, 11 games in, and this is not pretty. We play with inconsistent effort, Ant looks meh, KAT sucks on defense again, Russell sucks, J-Mac is inconsistent as hell, our bench is meh, and we have had a cupcake schedule.

The effort level is putrid. What the **** does this team think it is, a well oiled championship machine already proven, who can walk through the regular season and other teams will just bow down to us?

So far, not pleased. Finch is likely safe, but if we get another 10 games under us and are under .500, I wouldn't be shocked if his seat gets hot...

well, 11 games in, and this is not pretty. We play with inconsistent effort, Ant looks meh, KAT sucks on defense again, Russell sucks, J-Mac is inconsistent as hell, our bench is meh, and we have had a cupcake schedule.

The effort level is putrid. What the **** does this team think it is, a well oiled championship machine already proven, who can walk through the regular season and other teams will just bow down to us?

So far, not pleased. Finch is likely safe, but if we get another 10 games under us and are under .500, I wouldn't be shocked if his seat gets hot...
    So our team last year had flaws but they played as a team. What we have now is a bunch of inconsistent mismatch parts. I was never on board with the trade for Rudy to me it was too much a YOLO move just like we did with butler. Further, Pat bev was the heart of this team last year as a leader. This is now a team that does not have a consistent leader or alpha.

You can tell when Ant goes shot hunting and sometimes it works other times it doesn't. Kat is deferring a lot with assists which is nice but we have zero consistency. We are going to get screened to death just like the suns did to us a few games ago. This is how the NBA will play us they are going to run Kat and Rudy into screens to create horrible mismatches.

We lost a ton of depth for a player that honestly does NOT fit with this team in the least bit. I would take back that trade in a heart beat if we could. I would of much preferred to see our young team grow together and trade a few spare parts for other spare role players that fit our team.

Also when the **** did Dlo turn into Jeff Teague? The way they play the same way with an occasional good game is maddening.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolves88 View Post
    So our team last year had flaws but they played as a team. What we have now is a bunch of inconsistent mismatch parts. I was never on board with the trade for Rudy to me it was too much a YOLO move just like we did with butler. Further, Pat bev was the heart of this team last year as a leader. This is now a team that does not have a consistent leader or alpha.

You can tell when Ant goes shot hunting and sometimes it works other times it doesn't. Kat is deferring a lot with assists which is nice but we have zero consistency. We are going to get screened to death just like the suns did to us a few games ago. This is how the NBA will play us they are going to run Kat and Rudy into screens to create horrible mismatches.

We lost a ton of depth for a player that honestly does NOT fit with this team in the least bit. I would take back that trade in a heart beat if we could. I would of much preferred to see our young team grow together and trade a few spare parts for other spare role players that fit our team.
    I am actually ok with Gobert, as I do think we will settle into having a decent defense. You are absolutely right that losing Bev lost the pulse of this team, the lockeroom (and in game) heartbeat that made our guys play hard in game 45 on the road.

And needs to be more decisive. Just go. And start hammering the rim, and making them foul you (and maybe hit FTs at a higher rate than a high school center).

KAT, ugh. Each year I like him less. At this point, he is what he is- a massive crybaby who has scoring/offensive talent, but just can't get out of his own way.

D-Lo is also a major issue. We can't possibly keep him around. We need a huge upgrade at PG, and our shooting can't get worse, can it?

Idk, this team isn't worth watching right now. I know we started 4-9 last year, but the effort level is what bothers me right now. Teams are just bullying us, and we just take it like a little gir.

Also when the **** did Dlo turn into Jeff Teague? The way they play the same way with an occasional good game is maddening.
    hahaha, I know dude. Has he even had an entire good game yet? Or just a few good quarters surrounded by old man ball with a miss? D-Lo sucks. He needs to git.

I am actually ok with Gobert, as I do think we will settle into having a decent defense. You are absolutely right that losing Bev lost the pulse of this team, the lockeroom (and in game) heartbeat that made our guys play hard in game 45 on the road.

And needs to be more decisive. Just go. And start hammering the rim, and making them foul you (and maybe hit FTs at a higher rate than a high school center).

KAT, ugh. Each year I like him less. At this point, he is what he is- a massive crybaby who has scoring/offensive talent, but just can't get out of his own way.

D-Lo is also a major issue. We can't possibly keep him around. We need a huge upgrade at PG, and our shooting can't get worse, can it?

Idk, this team isn't worth watching right now. I know we started 4-9 last year, but the effort level is what bothers me right now. Teams are just bullying us, and we just take it like a little gir.
    This team looks slow. We played with fast pace tempo last year. Having Rudy on here makes it look like we are the suns with shaq.

One player can't make up for other players inept defense. Our team individual defenses suck and rudy just cant cover for it all. In addition we shoot way too many 3's that lead to easy transition points. We also turn the ball over a crazy amount of times that are really unforced.

This team will not be better then last years at all. We went all in and now we are going to flame out in typical timberwolves fashion. We cannot compete with Pheonix or the upper tier teams this year. We are going to be the Utah Jazz all over again. Good enough to maybe win a series or two but not good enough to advance. Towns numbers have dropped like a rock. Our team composition is just so poorly constructed. Last year we where building in the right direction but had flaws. Naz needs more playing time but hes stuck behind on the depth chart. Prince has massively regressed from the playoffs where I really wanted him resigned.

I just don't see this team as anything more then maybe a 5th or 6th seed at best. That is definitely not something good enough to gamble on. We are tied to Dlo because if we get rid of him we still wont have the cap space to sign anyone meaningful. We are locked with this roster now for better or worse with a very limited amount of time to preform.

This team looks slow. We played with fast pace tempo last year. Having Rudy on here makes it look like we are the suns with shaq.

One player can't make up for other players inept defense. Our team individual defenses suck and rudy just cant cover for it all. In addition we shoot way too many 3's that lead to easy transition points. We also turn the ball over a crazy amount of times that are really unforced.

This team will not be better then last years at all. We went all in and now we are going to flame out in typical timberwolves fashion. We cannot compete with Pheonix or the upper tier teams this year. We are going to be the Utah Jazz all over again. Good enough to maybe win a series or two but not good enough to advance. Towns numbers have dropped like a rock. Our team composition is just so poorly constructed. Last year we where building in the right direction but had flaws. Naz needs more playing time but hes stuck behind on the depth chart. Prince has massively regressed from the playoffs where I really wanted him resigned.

I just don't see this team as anything more then maybe a 5th or 6th seed at best. That is definitely not something good enough to gamble on. We are tied to Dlo because if we get rid of him we still wont have the cap space to sign anyone meaningful. We are locked with this roster now for better or worse with a very limited amount of time to preform.
    I am trying to keep positive, in that we should end up being better this year. Teams are hitting 40% from 3 against us, and we can't hit 3s at all. That will even out some. But there are deep issues here.

And ultimately, without overthinking, it's as simple as this:

When any MN mens team has expectations, they crater to the ground like wet paper. This has been our identify for my lifetime (47 years), and I don't see any reason that changes. The details are always changing, but for some reason, this city can't produce a winner (outside 87/91). We produce disappointments. The Vikings are 7-1 and a lock to host a playoff game. I would be my house we lose in a flameout at some point in the playoffs.

I will say, above all else, D-Lo needs to go. We can't possibly re-sign him, even for a "discount". He is not a winning NBA guard.

This was my fear about not really fitting together. Really hope they figure something out because the start of the season has been a major disappointment.

I agree on moving dlo and have said it for a while. I hope there are moves that can be made in the coming months because I think we need to mix it up some still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast