Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OT: Top Ten Sports Movies

What is your list of top ten sports movies of all time? For purposes of a sport, let's say gambling is not a sport (sorry rounders) but horse racing is (sorry Seabscuit, you don't make my cut )
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, crovash, nastynice, natepro, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

Basketball: Hoosiers
    This adaptation of a small high school in arguably the greatest state of high school basketball (Indiana) is flanked by one of my favorite actors Gene Hackman. I love the scnece when Hackman gets his team to focus by having them measure the big stadiums court.

Baseball: The Natural
    Tremendous soundtrack and great book adaptation with an outstanding cast. The movie starts and ends with every son's dream - to play catch with his father.

Hockey: None
    I have only seen a few movies with skates in them. Sudden Death, The Mighty Ducks, Cutting Edge. I am really open to suggestions.

Football: Remember the Titans
    Not only an amazing cast with Washington and Patton, a young Panetteire, but a true story that helped shape race relations in the early 70's. Great sound track, heart wrenching moments that even as I type this grip me. For me, my all time favorite movie

Female Sport Movies: The Miracle Season
    As of yet there isn't a lot of movies out there for any particular sport for female athletes but I didn't want to leave them out either. For me, it's The Miracle Season. Even though I figured out the movie within the first few minutes, it didn't stop me from getting all broken up inside. I could relate too easily to the story and the courage that those young ladies showed and persevered thru.

Other: Searching for Bobby Fischer
    This is a story about a young protégé placing himself among the greats in chess players. Is he the next Bobby Fischer? As a former competitive chess player, this movie was very relatable to me and to get to watch the tremendous acting of Kingsley and Mantegna was fabulous casting.

Honorable Mentions
    Happy Gilmore
    Eight Men Out
    Major League
    Field of Dreams
    The Blind Side
    Blue Chips
    Greater

Additions that I forgot:
    Rocky
    Rocky II
    Cars

Note: There are certainly great movies that I have not seen that very well would make my list. Feel free to shout our your lists.
    Last edited by brett05; 08-05-2022 at 12:23 PM.
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, crovash, nastynice, natepro, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

Don’t know about 10, but Bad News Bears, Slap Shot, Pride of the Yankees, Longest Yard, Miracle, Rocky, Eight Men Out, LeMans, On Any Sunday (Steve McQueen)… Honorable mention…Cannonball Run (very loosely affiliated).

Then you have the guilty pleasure batch that falls short of the greats…
    For the love of the game
    Tin Cup
    Youngblood
    Vision Quest
    The Natural
    Greatest American Hero
    Major League
    Blue Chips
    Ford vs Ferrari
    Greased Lightning

Probably missed quite a few as well…

Sandlot -

Great Story and took me back to my youth playing at "RUSTY FIELD" in Hegewisch.

Bingo Long -

My dad played semi-pro baseball before I was born and loved the Negro leagues who played in Chicago. Told me that the best Negro League players were as good or better than the white stars in baseball. He went with one of my uncles to a lot of games in Chi town because they could afford the tickets

Major League -

Still makes me laugh after probably seeing it a hundred times or more. "Hats for Bats"

Bull Durham -

Saw Max Patkin once at a Rancho Cucamonga 1A game. What an entertainer. "What hand did you hit me with, Nuke"? Never hit a guy with your pitching hand, Nuke.

Ford vs Ferrari -

Love Christain Bale's role as the British driver working with Shelby.. The fight scene between the two of them was hilarious.

Seabiscuit-

Loved the narration done of the story. Very well cast and pretty accurate according to the reviews. Don't know about the horse drinking Budweiser though?

Hoosiers -

Not too many basketball movies have been made but this story is a great one and realistic about the impact of high school basketball on small towns across the mid west. I remember the Cobden Appleknockers making the Illinois HS finals one year with two tall brothers and a first cousin leading the way for a very tiny school in Southern Illinois. Same thing in Indiana when a small school had a couple of dead on the money sharpshooters on the local farms. Jimmy Rayle and Rick Mount come into my mind.

Remember the Titans-

Terrific acting with Denzel and Patton. Great music and football scenes.

Slap Shot -

Newman really showed his versatility as an actor in this one. Funny hockey characters. Love the love struck goalie on the team.

Mystery -

Terrific movie. Sort of like Hoosiers on ice skates. About a hockey town in Mystery, Alaska and their game against the New York Rangers. Its funny yet poignant and there are some very good character actors. Russell Crowe is the star of the movie.
    Last edited by Bird of Prey; 08-05-2022 at 04:17 PM.

I enjoyed goon lol

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

No mention of A League of Their Own? Always enjoyed that movie. Especially the 1st time John Lovitz laid his eyes on Marla Hooch LMAO!!! They did poor Marla dirty in that movie.

Bull Durham was great.
    Glory Road was great.
    The Natural was great.
    Remember the Titans was great.
    He Got Game was solid.
    A League of Their Own.
    Longest Yard (Original).
    White Men Can't Jump.
    Sandlot
    The Fighter
    Gladiator

Comedy's:
    Baseketball if you want stupid funny
    Semi-Pro!!!
    Celtic Pride
    Newer Longest Yard.
    1st 2 Major Leagues
    Waterboy

Kids Movies
    The Mighty Ducks movies
    Little Giants (love me some Ed O'Neil being from Youngstown)
    Rookie of the Year has some classic one liners. Hot Ice!

Props to Brett, fun thread idea

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    Props to Brett, fun thread idea

For sure, it's funny cuz when I saw the question asked in the other thread, I was like "who is gonna be the one to start this and how fast". It was fast as hell lol

Just to be an argument starter, I'll say it again, Field of Dreams was awful. Lets create a movie about sports, but the player are ghosts, and lets send a guy on a cross country adventure to meet a bunch of ghosts. Oh and lets make it political while we are at it. Maybe I'm just a hater, but I was not disappointed that it took me this long to watch it.

Yeah. Field of Dreams was weak. Now if they wanted to make a movie about what Shoeless Joe’s life was like after the scandal, that might be interesting. Account for how he played under other aliases in independent leagues…if indeed that actually did happen.

Quote Originally Posted by dabears34ft View Post
    Just to be an argument starter, I'll say it again, Field of Dreams was awful. Lets create a movie about sports, but the player are ghosts, and lets send a guy on a cross country adventure to meet a bunch of ghosts. Oh and lets make it political while we are at it. Maybe I'm just a hater, but I was not disappointed that it took me this long to watch it.
    You're just a hater. I had memories of playing catch with my Dad and tears rolling down my cheek when he asked his dad for a catch. It was an extremely well made and classic movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Prey View Post
    You're just a hater. I had memories of playing catch with my Dad and tears rolling down my cheek when he asked his dad for a catch. It was an extremely well made and classic movie.
    lol you couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by dabears34ft View Post
    lol you couldn't resist.
    Hell no.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast