Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 72 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2262707172
Results 1,066 to 1,068 of 1068

Thread: Braves @ Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    No, I completely understand your argument. The game has evolved but thatís really no fault of deGrom or Seaver or Gooden. Gooden and Seaver threw more innings, deGrom arguably throws more quality pitches than the other two. It really just boils down to personal preference.

But stillÖa healthy deGrom throwing 180-200+ innings in a season, would probably have the best season ever. Itís pretty unfair, honestly. Seaver and Gooden were throwing 280+ innings in a season, but you could argue that each individual pitch has less wear and tear on the body compared to a 103mph fastball by deGrom.

Itís sort of like comparing grapefruits to oranges, both are citrus but theyíre still very different. Itís a tough comparison to make but at the end of the day, the Mets have a historical great on their hands. The fact that we can even debate between Seaver, Gooden and deGromís best season and have there be no wrong answer, just demonstrates how good he really is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    One of the things that made Seaver great was that he didn't throw pitch by pitch or even batter by batter. He worked innings, lineups, really. He knew who he absolutely would not let him beat him if he didn't have to let him. And who he was going to go right after.

He was a strategist, pacing himself throughout the game, saving his best for when he needed it. Rearing back for those extra few inches on his fastball in the key spots of a game.

deGrom is just 103 MPH, all the time.

But here's what I wonder about, and this tends to get me into hot water with my contemporaries: Could Seaver have gotten away with pacing himself with today's hitters? I don't think so. I don't think he would have had the luxury.

So there's that.

Sad he got sick and died so young. Would love to have heard him and Jake compare and contrast pitching styles. THAT would have been a great conversation.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears Ė but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    One of the things that made Seaver great was that he didn't throw pitch by pitch or even batter by batter. He worked innings, lineups, really. He knew who he absolutely would not let him beat him if he didn't have to let him. And who he was going to go right after.

He was a strategist, pacing himself throughout the game, abing his best for when he needed it. Rearing back for that extra few inches on his fastball in the key spots of a game.

deGrom is 103 MPH, all the time.

But here's what I wonder about, and this tends to get me into hot water with my contemporaries: Could Seaver have gotten away with pacing himself with today's hitters? I don't think so. I don't think he would have had the luxury.

So there's that.

Sad he got sick and died so young. Would love to have heard him and Jake compare and contrast pitching styles. THAT would have been a great conversation.
    You know that's part of the game now though. Guys aren't bred to throw 140 pitches anymore. If you take current day deGrom and put him in that era, he's Nolan Ryan minus all control issues. Not to say he would have pitched 25+ years but he would have been far and away the hardest pitcher to hit in baseball.

To be more contemporaneous though, deGrom is the RH version of Randy Johnson. Overpowering fastball and a slider that is basically unhittable. He's got better command than Johnson did as well. What's amazing is he has this type of dominance predominantly using 2 pitches. Last year he used his fastball and slider over 90% of the time. Guys know what's coming and they still can't touch it. I know the comparisons are made to Pedro but Pedro did it with a larger arsenal.
    Last edited by metswon69; 08-10-2022 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    You know that's part of the game now though. Guys aren't bred to throw 140 pitches anymore. If you take current day deGrom and put him in that era, he's Nolan Ryan minus all control issues. Not to say he would have pitched 25+ years but he would have been far and away the hardest pitcher to hit in baseball.

To be more contemporaneous though, deGrom is the RH version of Randy Johnson. Overpowering fastball and a slider that is basically unhittable. He's got better command than Johnson did as well. What's amazing is he has this type of dominance predominantly using 2 pitches. Last year he used his fastball and slider over 90% of the time. Guys know what's coming and they still can't touch it. I know the comparisons are made to Pedro but Pedro did it with a larger arsenal.
    I guess my point is whether itís a chicken- egg thing. Could pitchers today survive through todayís lineups if they tried to pace themselves?

I donít think so.

At any rate, athletes are always getting bigger, faster, and stronger. I laugh my butt off whenever anyone tries to tell me how much better Babe Ruth was than todayís crock of bums.

So all you can do is compare them within their eras.

Page 72 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2262707172