Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The benifits of World Hunger

This piece is from a professor, who's writing for the United Nations.

https://www.un.org/en/chronicle/arti...s-world-hunger

Have we been too hard on the idea of hunger?

No.

"It is a grotesque parody of the bazaar at Marrakech, as if dumb animals had been granted only the amount of sentience required to mock humanity."

Wow this dude is an utter dunce. No one should take this person seriously after publishing this piece of contemptible ****. They should be raising at the UN to see who gets to fire this person.
    Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    the delays of the courts needs to end at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    And if people got **** counsel, well they had to die so the court could move faster…but tell me again how pro-life you are!
    I was told there would be pro-life! Not pro-death!

This whole thing is so.. weird.

He has articles about, in his own words, "how to end hunger."

Like multiple articles about ending hunger and the challenges in doing so.

This was apparently written in 2008, and not put out by the UN until 2013, but it's weirdly at odds with other things he's written and seems kind of... apropos of nothing. It hasn't been cited anywhere, it hasn't been referenced anywhere, it's like this random paper he wrote, and then the UN put it on their website a few years later, and... that's all.

Here, for example, is parts of an interview he did in 2014 with BestFoodFacts.org:

If you could have one superpower what would it be?

I would end hunger in the world.

What are you most passionate about?

The problem of hunger in the world – because it is so wrong and so unnecessary. If we paid attention we would recognize that hunger causes more human misery than anything else. If you look at the life-years lost due to various forms of malnutrition, it makes things like warfare or epidemics or car accidents look trivial.
    It's just... weird.

Edit: Here's another article he wrote literally titled The Hunger Holocaust.
    Last edited by natepro; 07-06-2022 at 01:04 AM.

"It is a grotesque parody of the bazaar at Marrakech, as if dumb animals had been granted only the amount of sentience required to mock humanity."

I don't know how anyone could break it down to suggest that there are benefits to people starving to death. I understand that being poor can be a motivation to not be poor later in life but that will never outweigh people dying. There's more than enough resources in this world to make sure that never happens.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I don't know how anyone could break it down to suggest that there are benefits to people starving to death. I understand that being poor can be a motivation to not be poor later in life but that will never outweigh people dying. There's more than enough resources in this world to make sure that never happens.
    How many people do you actually think die in America from starvation? Hint: It is an extremely low number that is dominated by a mental disease, not lack of resources.
    GJO- You will never be forgotten. "MORE THAN MINFINITY"!

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncsinmo View Post
    How many people do you actually think die in America from starvation? Hint: It is an extremely low number that is dominated by a mental disease, not lack of resources.
    Did you read the article? It's talking about world hunger.

The Benefits of World Hunger

Think I figured it out.

The UN article seems to be fragments from The Hunger Holocaust article linked above. For example:

UN Article:

We sometimes talk about hunger in the world as if it were a scourge that all of us want to see abolished, viewing it as comparable with the plague or aids. But that naïve view prevents us from coming to grips with what causes and sustains hunger. Hunger has great positive value to many people. Indeed, it is fundamental to the working of the world's economy. Hungry people are the most productive people, especially where there is a need for manual labour.

We in developed countries sometimes see poor people by the roadside holding up signs saying "Will Work for Food". Actually, most people work for food. It is mainly because people need food to survive that they work so hard either in producing food for themselves in subsistence-level production, or by selling their services to others in exchange for money. How many of us would sell our services if it were not for the threat of hunger?
    THH:

We sometimes talk about hunger and poverty as scourges that all of us want to
    see abolished, but that naïve view prevents us from coming to grips with what
    causes and sustains them. Hunger and poverty have great positive value to
    many people. Indeed, they are fundamental to the working of the world’s
    economy.

Why end hunger and other forms of malnutrition? Most people will want to
    prevent or remedy their own serious malnutrition or that of their family members.
    The question that needs to be answered is, why should any of us want to deal
    with the malnutrition problems of others, especially distant others who we don’t
    know and will never meet? We need to have a clear answer to the why question
    if are ever to have good answers to the how question.

UN Article:

The conventional thinking is that hunger is caused by low-paying jobs. For example, an article reports on "Brazil's ethanol slaves: 200,000 migrant sugar cutters who prop up renewable energy boom".1 While it is true that hunger is caused by low-paying jobs, we need to understand that hunger at the same time causes low-paying jobs to be created. Who would have established massive biofuel production operations in Brazil if they did not know there were thousands of hungry people desperate enough to take the awful jobs they would offer? Who would build any sort of factory if they did not know that many people would be available to take the jobs at low-pay rates?

Much of the hunger literature talks about how it is important to assure that people are well fed so that they can be more productive. That is nonsense. No one works harder than hungry people. Yes, people who are well nourished have greater capacity for productive physical activity, but well-nourished people are far less willing to do that work.

THH:

The nutrition literature says it is important to ensure that people are well fed so
    that that they could be more productive. That is misleading. Well nourished
    people do have greater potential for carrying out physical work, but they might
    not agree to actually do it. No one works harder than hungry people. People who
    are well nourished have greater capacity for productive physical activity, but they
    are far less willing to do that work.

There are many reasons to allow hunger to persist.
    Ending hunger through assistance program could be costly. Those who have
    money can always find other ways to use their resources.
    Generous social welfare programs might produce waves of unwanted migration
    to the areas with the most generous handouts.
    Many believe that hunger helps to protect the world from runaway population
    growth.

The conventional thinking is that low-paying jobs cause hunger. For example,
    one report tells about “Brazil's ethanol slaves: 200,000 migrant sugar cutters
    who prop up renewable energy boom (Phillips 2007; also see Simoes 2008).”
    While it is true that low-paying jobs create hunger, at the same time hunger
    causes low-paying jobs to be created. Who would establish massive biofuel
    production operations in Brazil if they did not know there were thousands of
    hungry people ready to take the awful jobs they offer? Who would build any sort
    of factory if they did not know people would be available to take the jobs at low
    pay?

It's like someone (or he did it himself, who knows) took parts of this longer article/essay/whatever and tried to condense it down, but made it less clear in doing so, and the different title on it does it no favors.

Regardless, it's pretty clear he's not actually arguing that hunger is a good thing, and so the answer remains the same: no, we have not been "too hard on the idea of hunger." And he doesn't think we have, either.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Did you read the article? It's talking about world hunger.
    My bad. I'm used to you folks whining about America. Carry on.

Anyway, you want to answer the question?

Putting aside that starvation =/= hunger...

They found that there were more than 25,000 malnutrition-related deaths among adults age 65 and older across Texas’ 254 counties. There was an average 99.2 malnutrition deaths by county, and the malnutrition crude death rate among older Texans was 65.6 deaths per 100,000 older adults.

https://vitalrecord.tamhsc.edu/malnu...ults-in-texas/

My bad. I'm used to you folks whining about America. Carry on.

Anyway, you want to answer the question?
    You people being... ciaban?

So can we get a sense of why this was posted? I'm very confused especially after what Nate posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    the delays of the courts needs to end at some point.
    And if people got **** counsel, well they had to die so the court could move faster…but tell me again how pro-life you are!
    I was told there would be pro-life! Not pro-death!

So can we get a sense of why this was posted? I'm very confused especially after what Nate posted.
    For someone who claims to be so solidly against Ukrainian genocide, its certainly a weird thread to post.

OP consistently makes the dumbest of threads

Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    Think I figured it out.

The UN article seems to be fragments from The Hunger Holocaust article linked above. For example:

UN Article:

THH:

UN Article:

THH:

It's like someone (or he did it himself, who knows) took parts of this longer article/essay/whatever and tried to condense it down, but made it less clear in doing so, and the different title on it does it no favors.

Regardless, it's pretty clear he's not actually arguing that hunger is a good thing, and so the answer remains the same: no, we have not been "too hard on the idea of hunger." And he doesn't think we have, either.
    I guess the UN has taken the article down, and it's been yeeted from the interwebz.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast