Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoba Rama View Post
    I'm as big of a prospect hugger as just about anyone on this site... but this year is different for me. They have a chance to win it all. Give me the best player available. If he costs a top prospect, so be it. It's not like Reynolds is a strict rental. It's this year then two more. Only thing I care about is that they don't go crazy outbidding the market. If the Yankees are the only ones offering a top 50 prospect for Reynolds then that's stupid, especially with as many top 200 prospects as they have to choose from. But if that's the going rate this year, so be it. This is their chance to win, first time it feels real since 2009. They need to put all their chips down while they can.
    You're assuming he's the best player between them this year, I'm not. Happ has a higher OPS+ currently. As for beyond this year, there's no telling what we'll see from both players moving forward. Past performance doesn't seem to mean all that much these days with so much variability from season to season.

Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    You're assuming he's the best player between them this year, I'm not. Happ has a higher OPS+ currently. As for beyond this year, there's no telling what we'll see from both players moving forward. Past performance doesn't seem to mean all that much these days with so much variability from season to season.
    I agree with some of what you're saying, but I look at Reynold's situation as similar to Gleyber. This is a guy with past success who had something click a month or so ago and his average and OPS are on the way up to be consistent with career numbers. Watching him play against the Yankees, Reynolds looked every bit the player he's been in past years. His recent numbers back that up. Whatever caused his slow start seems to be in the distant past. Reynolds is the better player both in the short and the long term, and the rest of the season will bear that out barring injuries. I believe I will be proven right about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoba Rama View Post
    I agree with some of what you're saying, but I look at Reynold's situation as similar to Gleyber. This is a guy with past success who had something click a month or so ago and his average and OPS are on the way up to be consistent with career numbers. Watching him play against the Yankees, Reynolds looked every bit the player he's been in past years. His recent numbers back that up. Whatever caused his slow start seems to be in the distant past. Reynolds is the better player both in the short and the long term, and the rest of the season will bear that out barring injuries. I believe I will be proven right about that.
    Gleyber is still struggling to replicate what he did as a rookie and he's failing so far, outside of the power. I am surprised by the 13 hrs though.

Reynolds had a really good month. Let's see if he can maintain it. So far, for July, his BA is back down again. If the pirates want Dominguez or Volpe, etc. and other top specs, for someone that has an up and down season so far, with more downs than ups I consider that way too risky. Maybe you're right, but you should only give up major assets on actual performance and not hunches.

Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    Gleyber is still struggling to replicate what he did as a rookie and he's failing so far, outside of the power. I am surprised by the 13 hrs though.

Reynolds had a really good month. Let's see if he can maintain it. So far, for July, his BA is back down again. If the pirates want Dominguez or Volpe, etc. and other top specs, for someone that has an up and down season so far, with more downs than ups I consider that way too risky. Maybe you're right, but you should only give up major assets on actual performance and not hunches.
    Definitely a fair point. Look, the Yankees have scouts who know far more about baseball than me. If they can get Reynolds for less, or they see something with Happ that he's doing differently this year that make him a better option than Reynolds, I'm all for watching it play out. I don't think I'd be all that disappointed with Happ. All I'm saying is that Dominguez might help us 3 years from now if everything goes according to plan and we have no idea if the Yankees will even be competitive at that point. Reynolds will definitely help us now in a season where we know the Yankees are going to make a run at the world series. I say go all in now and worry about 2025 later. If that means getting a player who is marginally better than another player and giving up Dominguez instead of Pereira, I'm in for that this season. You're points are well taken though. I'm never going to argue with holding onto assets like Dominguez and Volpe if at all possible. All I'm saying is that if that's the going rate this year I think this is the time to bite the bullet more than any other season in recent memory.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789