Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    There were a half dozen people interested in purchasing the Rockets in 17. There were three bids on the Clippers in 2014, and there are no less than three groups pursuing a Sonics expansion team (not to mention others pursuing a Las Vegas expansion team as well).

There are a lot of billionaires in the US. Thereíd be plenty of people willing to invest in a league in which they knew they were getting the top players.

The new USFL has secured $150 million in funding for the next three years, and thatís filled with no names. They managed to secure network broadcast of their games as well.
    After how many years of working on securing all of that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    After how many years of working on securing all of that?
    The bidders for NBA teams or the USFL? Those teams were sold relatively quickly (the Rockets sale took 6 weeks). There was a rumored $2 billion offer to buy the Blazers and they arenít even for sale (yet).

There were a half dozen people interested in purchasing the Rockets in 17. There were three bids on the Clippers in 2014, and there are no less than three groups pursuing a Sonics expansion team (not to mention others pursuing a Las Vegas expansion team as well).

There are a lot of billionaires in the US. Thereíd be plenty of people willing to invest in a league in which they knew they were getting the top players.

The new USFL has secured $150 million in funding for the next three years, and thatís filled with no names. They managed to secure network broadcast of their games as well.
    You're talking about an established league which already has a fan bas, tv contracts, merchandising, etc vs a non-established league whose playerbase just up and quit their prior league. Typically, billionaires aren't in the business of making such risky investments.

Also, your usfl point is sorta making my point for me. If the NFL ceases to exist, the USFL would simply, take it's place.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    You're talking about an established league which already has a fan bas, tv contracts, merchandising, etc vs a non-established league whose playerbase just up and quit their prior league. Typically, billionaires aren't in the business of making such risky investments.

Also, your usfl point is sorta making my point for me. If the NFL ceases to exist, the USFL would simply, take it's place.
    Thereís never been an instance where the top players were available for an investment in a new league. It is absolutely absurd to me to think if Giannis, Steph, Bron, KD, and every other top player decided to start a new league nobody would invest. Teams are paying these guys a quarter billion dollar contracts despite many not playing for large periods.

Someone is throwing money at them.

Thereís never been an instance where the top players were available for an investment in a new league. It is absolutely absurd to me to think if Giannis, Steph, Bron, KD, and every other top player decided to start a new league nobody would invest. Teams are paying these guys a quarter billion dollar contracts despite many not playing for large periods.

Money is thrown at the NBA because it's the NBA, not because it has a few players. Five years from now the list of names will be different.

So the inmates continue to run the asylum, smh

But that rival league would still need owners outside of the players themselves.
    There is no set of owners that would make the league w/o the superstars more successful then the league with

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

You donít think ownership has anything to do with Curry is the greatest shooter ever?

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    There is no set of owners that would make the league w/o the superstars more successful then the league with

Jackie Moon could

Quote Originally Posted by NYKalltheway View Post
    Money is thrown at the NBA because it's the NBA, not because it has a few players. Five years from now the list of names will be different.
    Itís because they are the best basketball players on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    You donít think ownership has anything to do with Curry is the greatest shooter ever?
    Youíre telling me you wouldnít rather watch Quinndary Weatherspoon in a Warriors jersey than Steph Curry in a non-NBA uniform?

Yes. If the players existed in a vaccum, they could just switch leagues and new owners would be abound but the world doesn't work that way. Even if you bypass the players being under a current contract, where will these new teams be formed? Im sure the major cities have deals with the major sports teams already. Are you expecting these cities to supply new arenas? You don't think there will be blowback from disgruntled fans? There's 100s of unanswered questions in a real life scenario like this.

Yes. If the players existed in a vaccum, they could just switch leagues and new owners would be abound but the world doesn't work that way. Even if you bypass the players being under a current contract, where will these new teams be formed? Im sure the major cities have deals with the major sports teams already. Are you expecting these cities to supply new arenas? You don't think there will be blowback from disgruntled fans? There's 100s of unanswered questions in a real life scenario like this.
    Yes there would be a ton of difficult, logistical questions. But they are not insurmountable. The bottom line is people want to watch the best basketball players play. Whether thatís the NBA or some other league.

The bidders for NBA teams or the USFL? Those teams were sold relatively quickly (the Rockets sale took 6 weeks). There was a rumored $2 billion offer to buy the Blazers and they arenít even for sale (yet).
    Thatís not what I was asking. The USFL took 3 years to get all of that done and players were paid $600/wk in the preseason and $4500/wk for the season.

Yes there would be a ton of difficult, logistical questions. But they are not insurmountable. The bottom line is people want to watch the best basketball players play. Whether thatís the NBA or some other league.
    People want to be entertained. Just look at actors. The best actors in the world are in some horrible movies. Typically, these movies lack production value. Some are even "straight to dvd" types. The NBA is no different. Without production value, the game isnt as entertaining. Furthermore, the NBA would remain in tack, so while there would be lesser players, the teams are still established, the tv contracts in place, etc. That's still an entertaining product.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierzynski4Prez View Post
    Jackie Moon could

True

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast