Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

So the inmates continue to run the asylum, smh

So I guess I have to introduce myself as an African-American male before someone gets offended. This is an old school saying btw
    this has nothing to do with color or ethnicity but it does have to do with culture.

If I recall there was a time when Kobe Bryant demanded to be traded and was almost traded to the Bulls. But he didnít get his wish

Why does it seem that everyone in the sports world seem to react when a player demands to be traded. And why would the other owners sell their soul to keep trying to win when said player can and probably will do the same thing to them

The players have total control of the NBA and even fire coaches. Based on what the Nets did for KD including firing a very good coach and putting up with Kyrie, I would have him stay on the nets, build a team around him and let him pout and collect his checks

if heís a real ball player he will keep trying to win. I donít get it why all of a sudden this means because he asked he has to be traded. contracts work two ways donít they?

but the players have leverage that they really shouldnít have.

So I know Iím foolhardy because everyone jumped right on the bandwagon as soon as ďJesusĒ (the latest superstar) spoke. SMH

I think my old school Ways just interfere with the enjoyment of this particular era of basketball.

I would agree with you but not with this KD situation.

I don't believe he signs with the Nets unless him & the owner made a verbal promise to each other if things dont work out, he would respect KD wishes.

The proof is in the contract, no ppt out.

Quote Originally Posted by IKnowHoops View Post
    As a rookie Micheal Beasley averaged 13.9pts per game on .472 shooting. Do you know how many times Kobe Bryant or Tracy Mcgrady shot at that percent or better? Never in there whole careers. If Beas can be what he was when he was a rookie (he won't hell be better) then the heat are coming away with another steal.

Not all the players are like that. And the other owners pay up to get them because they think they will be able to win it all with them.

The owners have talked about, and may be planning to make changes to the CBA to make free agent/sign and trade super team building harder to take some power away from the players ... or at least make it cost them more money to move.

I think players finally realized they are the most important asset. If all the owners stopped fielding teams tomorrow. Thereíd be plenty of other people willing to pay and invest in the NBA. If all the players decided not to play, interest would plummet.

Quote Originally Posted by nicnac View Post
    So I guess I have to introduce myself as an African-American male before someone gets offended. This is an old school saying btw
    this has nothing to do with color or ethnicity but it does have to do with culture.

If I recall there was a time when Kobe Bryant demanded to be traded and was almost traded to the Bulls. But he didnít get his wish

Why does it seem that everyone in the sports world seem to react when a player demands to be traded. And why would the other owners sell their soul to keep trying to win when said player can and probably will do the same thing to them

The players have total control of the NBA and even fire coaches. Based on what the Nets did for KD including firing a very good coach and putting up with Kyrie, I would have him stay on the nets, build a team around him and let him pout and collect his checks

if heís a real ball player he will keep trying to win. I donít get it why all of a sudden this means because he asked he has to be traded. contracts work two ways donít they?

but the players have leverage that they really shouldnít have.

So I know Iím foolhardy because everyone jumped right on the bandwagon as soon as ďJesusĒ (the latest superstar) spoke. SMH

I think my old school Ways just interfere with the enjoyment of this particular era of basketball.
    Meh, this isnít the first time the Nets tried to buy a ship and it blew up in their face. Maybe they should stick to more of a methodical way of building a contender.

Also, I donít mind player if empowerment. I enjoy the players moving around. I think it would be boring otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Not all the players are like that. And the other owners pay up to get them because they think they will be able to win it all with them.

The owners have talked about, and may be planning to make changes to the CBA to make free agent/sign and trade super team building harder to take some power away from the players ... or at least make it cost them more money to move.
    Meh I donít mind player empowerment. And I donít believe in handcuffing players to franchises. The truth is some of these franchises are poorly managed and no player should be forced to stay in bad situations.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I think players finally realized they are the most important asset. If all the owners stopped fielding teams tomorrow. Thereíd be plenty of other people willing to pay and invest in the NBA. If all the players decided not to play, interest would plummet.
    Players always knew that but this is not quite valid. If the owners and the NBA in general decided to stop operations, the players wouldn't be able to create their new league. They'd need new investors. And a new league wouldn't take off. How many spin off leagues have we seen fold within a few years in the USA? They won't find this kind of money overseas, you're not going to get Arab money investing in basketball (the only ones who can afford this level of salaries), Europe's broke, Russia has become a non-factor and China is divesting from sports.

Players have the upper hand because they negotiated this way over the years. Only a handful of them at the highest level have these tendencies, the rest just enjoy the fruits of their predecessors labor.

If you disagree with the first part about the NBA, you'd perhaps need to realize that owners are much more willing to side with each other than players are with all other players. A new league won't generate as much funds, so the players and owners have to work around the current NBA environment. If the NBA isn't willing to listen anymore, what do the players do?

Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    Meh I donít mind player empowerment. And I donít believe in handcuffing players to franchises. The truth is some of these franchises are poorly managed and no player should be forced to stay in bad situations.
    I don't mind player empowerment but it crosses a line for me when you have players like Durant and Donovan Mitchell who just signed max extentions and after 1 year are not committed to their team.

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Yes. Of course if the owners fired all the players they could have their rosters full tomorrow too. The show would be a lot worse for several years, but the league that gets the players would also struggle to put on the show in new arenas, new owners, new coaches, etc.

It would be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    You know there are already a lot of rules in place that make it cost players money to move right? They are just talking about adding more. Or making it cost more for other owners to take players in.

Nobody is forced to stay on a team. Every players can walk away any time. They just can't play on another team until their contract is cleared because of the NBA anti-trust agreement they can have collective contract terms. I have no issue with there being levers to keep players to their contracts. But I also am firmly on the side of free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by NYKalltheway View Post
    Players always knew that but this is not quite valid. If the owners and the NBA in general decided to stop operations, the players wouldn't be able to create their new league. They'd need new investors. And a new league wouldn't take off. How many spin off leagues have we seen fold within a few years in the USA? They won't find this kind of money overseas, you're not going to get Arab money investing in basketball (the only ones who can afford this level of salaries), Europe's broke, Russia has become a non-factor and China is divesting from sports.

Players have the upper hand because they negotiated this way over the years. Only a handful of them at the highest level have these tendencies, the rest just enjoy the fruits of their predecessors labor.

If you disagree with the first part about the NBA, you'd perhaps need to realize that owners are much more willing to side with each other than players are with all other players. A new league won't generate as much funds, so the players and owners have to work around the current NBA environment. If the NBA isn't willing to listen anymore, what do the players do?
    Have we ever seen a spin off league start with all the players? I think that would be a very interesting thing to see.

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    I don't mind player empowerment but it crosses a line for me when you have players like Durant and Donovan Mitchell who just signed max extentions and after 1 year are not committed to their team.
    Durant hasn't played 1 minute on his contract let alone a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Durant hasn't played 1 minute on his contract let alone a year.
    He signed it last year, though and it kicks in this upcoming season. Stop being Scootsy all the time, you know what he meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    He signed it last year, though and it kicks in this upcoming season. Stop being Scootsy all the time, you know what he meant.
    I wasn't disagreeing, I was extending it.

And why would I want to be someone else?

Quote Originally Posted by NYKalltheway View Post

Theyíd need new investors, and theyíd be lining up. Have you seen the value of NBA franchises now? Sure to start they wouldnít make nearly as much as the infrastructure gets setup, but that would happen extremely quickly as stadiums would be jumping at the chance to host the games and TV networks would jump at broadcasting it.

The reason all those other spin-off leagues fold is because they all lack the same thing: the top talent. Thatís why the current ownerís league would fail. People want to see the top talent. There are plenty of billionaires in the US who would want to invest in such a league if it became available.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast