Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 117
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    9,147
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Lmfaololol. Are you ever right? Like even in the domain of basketball ?
    Seek help and stay safe.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    48,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    Seek help and stay safe.
    I mightve cared enough to listen to any advice you offer if not for years of you being dead *** wrong lmfaolol
    Random Highlight of the Month: * RARE - Zo DUNKS on Shaq *

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    47,425
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Which was exactly my point. New/Startup leagues rarely attract enough top level talent to survive. If the XFL1.0, XFL2.0, USFL2.0 managed to get some higher level talent at the start, got enough stars to jump, then it would have worked. But unfortunately there's always going to be the established known, history of the league, and "best of the best" attitude that will prevent all (or even enough) top guys from jumping.

    That's why I pointed to LIV. They managed to get enough guys with name value to move, but so far Charl Schwartzel and Branden Grace have won....relative nobodies. I think the only thing I'll give LIV credit for is they are taking care of the caddies well. They are getting 5 star hotels, $80,000 paid for, their family can go, and they are getting 1st class tickets. But even at that some estimates put the PIF from Saudi Arabia at about $2bil in the hole funding this.

    Basically, it costs a lot to startup a league, and I don't think the players would give up money like that if it weren't for an investment from the outside like the Saudi PIF.
    I agree a startup league wouldn’t attract the best talent, but that isn’t the hypothetical. The hypothetical is if the players decided to leave the NBA and start their own league. As Hugepatsfan said, it’s comparing apples and oranges.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    47,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    You are assuming this break happens before the new CBA?
    It’s a hypothetical so why wouldn’t it? They could announce it literally today. Even if the league doesn’t start playing by then just an announcement from players they are leaving the NBA by 2025 would make ESPN drastically rethink their contract with the NBA.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    47,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Year one the players league isn't likely to have any games at all and no or very limited revenue. You think they are going to have tens of millions per "star" player? Or might they not be able to pay anything that first year while they are finding backers, creating teams, drafting, finding coaches, learning to play together, finding arenas and cities, once they have their locations, team names, rosters, and a schedule, they can try to find a media company that does not already have the NBA to pay them billions for the right to show some unknown number of games of some unknown number of games of a league they don't know is going to exist in a year.

    I asked several times how many teams and how many games per team? Because those answers are going to have a huge impact on how much the players are going to be able to earn in year 1.

    If you look at my posting history you'd see that I love the development of young players as much or more than watching the old veterans. So yeah, I'd like both.

    I don't know how many top level indoor arenas there are in the US in cities that don't have NBA franchises no. Do you? Are they going to give a good deal to the new league off the jump?

    If you asked ESPN ... ESPN has an NBA contract, would you be at all surprised if the NBA used that fact to keep them from even entertaining covering the new league?

    The PAC12 has decades old competitors, it's not analogous.

    So ... how many teams? Because at the very least all the rest of the players are going to be back in the NBA and that's going to include some of the stars if you are being honest. Then the new league isn't going to be ready right away so from the start the players are going to be down a year in revenue.

    If you are honest I think you actually agree with me that your initial take that the players league would easily win was at least a way too simple take because at the time all you were thinking was that the players were the show most people would say they'd watch in a poll, but it's so so much more than that to compete in the long run against a huge media machine worth hundreds of billions when you are starting from 0.
    To be honest, I think this is more of your pro-business stance. PSD’s most predictable “liberal”. If you think the owners are more important than the players you are off your rocker. I think you agree with me you’re just too cowardly to admit my point was valid, hence your shameless shilling for the owners.
    Last edited by valade16; 07-04-2022 at 05:22 PM.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    69,800
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I agree a startup league wouldn’t attract the best talent, but that isn’t the hypothetical. The hypothetical is if the players decided to leave the NBA and start their own league. As Hugepatsfan said, it’s comparing apples and oranges.
    I was more using it as an example of how hard it is to get enough players onboard with creating a new league.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,194
    I am a little saddened that this post became all about money and how will these millionaire owners and players “survive” without certain conditions being met.

    My post was about my belief that KD is WRONG!! Dead wrong. He signed a lucrative contract. Had a coach fired to get a hand puppet coach with ZERO experience. Supported kyries craziness against supporting management

    Was outplayed by Boston in the playoffs. AND DEMANDS A TRADE AND DESERVES IT!!!???

    Come on. How did this become about money? And what will the owners do or the players in order to continue to make millions and billions.

    THE LOVE OF MONEY. The focus on money. SMH

    It just saddens me. honor. Integrity. Thankfulness. I don’t see it in these stars

    So. Keep on getting more and more $ Players. Owners. Oil companies…….
    …. I could care less if kd had to sit out his entire contract if he wants to protest. But I wouldn’t trade him without a totally one sided trade in the nets favor. And of course kd killed that chance as well

    I WILL TRY TO UNDERSTAND THE IMPORTANCE OF THESE LAST FEW PAGES. I do not see the relevance in terms of sport entertainment for the public. Which is why I try to route for a team and enjoy them. And I am a disgruntled Knick fan. Not a net fan

    I know I will think of these posts when I pump another gallon for more multi millionaires pockets. I wish I was not so tangential but that is what I think about reading when I read this

    If there were proportionally more reasonable ticket prices then maybe I would have a different thought

    Seems to me. In the end. These posts mean that we would be footing that bill as well. And the kd’s of the world will continue to be the selfish and spoiled individuals that they are

    I APOLOGIZE IN ADVANCE FOR THIS RANT. BC OF COURSE. EVERYONE SHOULD POST WHAT THEY BELIEVE

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    42,587
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    It’s a hypothetical so why wouldn’t it? They could announce it literally today. Even if the league doesn’t start playing by then just an announcement from players they are leaving the NBA by 2025 would make ESPN drastically rethink their contract with the NBA.
    Because the conversation was about the owners trying to get more power in the next CBA.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    42,587
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    To be honest, I think this is more of your pro-business stance. PSD’s most predictable “liberal”. If you think the owners are more important than the players you are off your rocker. I think you agree with me you’re just too cowardly to admit my point was valid, hence your shameless shilling for the owners.
    It's not pro-business. Both leagues would be businesses. It's one business with deep pockets and existing infrastructure and customers, and a startup business competing at the same level in exactly the same area. I can't think of any businesses where there is an effective monopoly and a company comes along to compete with essentially the same product and been able to survive at all let alone flourish.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    42,587
    Quote Originally Posted by nicnac View Post
    I am a little saddened that this post became all about money and how will these millionaire owners and players “survive” without certain conditions being met.

    My post was about my belief that KD is WRONG!! Dead wrong. He signed a lucrative contract. Had a coach fired to get a hand puppet coach with ZERO experience. Supported kyries craziness against supporting management

    Was outplayed by Boston in the playoffs. AND DEMANDS A TRADE AND DESERVES IT!!!???

    Come on. How did this become about money? And what will the owners do or the players in order to continue to make millions and billions.

    THE LOVE OF MONEY. The focus on money. SMH

    It just saddens me. honor. Integrity. Thankfulness. I don’t see it in these stars

    So. Keep on getting more and more $ Players. Owners. Oil companies…….
    …. I could care less if kd had to sit out his entire contract if he wants to protest. But I wouldn’t trade him without a totally one sided trade in the nets favor. And of course kd killed that chance as well

    I WILL TRY TO UNDERSTAND THE IMPORTANCE OF THESE LAST FEW PAGES. I do not see the relevance in terms of sport entertainment for the public. Which is why I try to route for a team and enjoy them. And I am a disgruntled Knick fan. Not a net fan

    I know I will think of these posts when I pump another gallon for more multi millionaires pockets. I wish I was not so tangential but that is what I think about reading when I read this

    If there were proportionally more reasonable ticket prices then maybe I would have a different thought

    Seems to me. In the end. These posts mean that we would be footing that bill as well. And the kd’s of the world will continue to be the selfish and spoiled individuals that they are

    I APOLOGIZE IN ADVANCE FOR THIS RANT. BC OF COURSE. EVERYONE SHOULD POST WHAT THEY BELIEVE
    Welcome to the world. The same is true of the top 1% of the top 1% in every field, except in the vast majority of occupations there isn't anything making it so you can't just change employers right when you want to. You don't need to even ask for a trade to leave your job.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    47,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Because the conversation was about the owners trying to get more power in the next CBA.
    When was the conversation about that?

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    47,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    It's not pro-business. Both leagues would be businesses. It's one business with deep pockets and existing infrastructure and customers, and a startup business competing at the same level in exactly the same area. I can't think of any businesses where there is an effective monopoly and a company comes along to compete with essentially the same product and been able to survive at all let alone flourish.
    One is the owners, the other the workers. You sided with the owners, because you always do.

    You can’t think of any business that came along with the same product? You’re still posing disingenuous arguments. The product wouldn’t be the same if all the best players left. But it does show insight into your thought process: the players are replaceable nobodies and KD/Bron/Steph/Giannis are no different than no name scrubs.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    42,587
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    One is the owners, the other the workers. You sided with the owners, because you always do.

    You can’t think of any business that came along with the same product? You’re still posing disingenuous arguments. The product wouldn’t be the same if all the best players left. But it does show insight into your thought process: the players are replaceable nobodies and KD/Bron/Steph/Giannis are no different than no name scrubs.
    I don't always do anything. I don't care at all about either the owners or the "workers".

    They are both going to play the same game with the same parameters and the same rules right? Do you really think the players cannot be replaced? I haven't seen Magic or Michael playing recently. And I never said there is no difference, I said that there are major infrastructure issues in the way of the players. You never answered about the number of teams and how long the season was going to be ... but that sets the starting point of the maximum number of players the NBA can lose. Then there is that they have a clock that is ticking fast and loud because the average NBA career is less than 5 years, and in year 1 the new league is going to do nothing, in year two the, I have to assume from your past comments, smaller league with the shorter scheduler is still going to be working out the parameters of the show and viewership will not be at it's peak, and for most of the NBA season they will not be on the air to compete. By year 4 half of top 50 players that came from the NBA will be well past their prime while the NBA is going to have all the players the new league didn't take, all the stars who chose to take the money to stay in the NBA, AND 4 years of new players to make into stars.

    I never said nobody would watch the players league, I just don't think they win in the long run. That you think it's obvious and easy that the players league wins in the long run is fairly odd and I suspect you are just lying about what you actually believe just to argue, and the fact that you have started trying the personal jabs makes it even more likely.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    47,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I don't always do anything. I don't care at all about either the owners or the "workers".

    They are both going to play the same game with the same parameters and the same rules right? Do you really think the players cannot be replaced? I haven't seen Magic or Michael playing recently. And I never said there is no difference, I said that there are major infrastructure issues in the way of the players. You never answered about the number of teams and how long the season was going to be ... but that sets the starting point of the maximum number of players the NBA can lose. Then there is that they have a clock that is ticking fast and loud because the average NBA career is less than 5 years, and in year 1 the new league is going to do nothing, in year two the, I have to assume from your past comments, smaller league with the shorter scheduler is still going to be working out the parameters of the show and viewership will not be at it's peak, and for most of the NBA season they will not be on the air to compete. By year 4 half of top 50 players that came from the NBA will be well past their prime while the NBA is going to have all the players the new league didn't take, all the stars who chose to take the money to stay in the NBA, AND 4 years of new players to make into stars.

    I never said nobody would watch the players league, I just don't think they win in the long run. That you think it's obvious and easy that the players league wins in the long run is fairly odd and I suspect you are just lying about what you actually believe just to argue, and the fact that you have started trying the personal jabs makes it even more likely.
    I am not making personal jabs, I am observing your behavior. It’s a fact your a both sides, inauthentic poster. Remember the times you argued against me because you didn’t state an opinion you admitted you actually believed? Who does that? It’s bizarre.

    It’s not the same product because the quality of the player matters. That you’d even attempt to argue the quality of the player is irrelevant shows how disingenuous you are.

    I didn’t answer how many teams and games because the exact amount doesn’t matter so long as there is enough to turn a profit. If I said 65 games would you say it’s unsustainable but 72 is? It’s a semantically nonsense argument from the forums resident semantically nonsense king.

    Remember all this started because I said if the players left the NBA it’d be screwed, and you dutifully ran to defend the owners.

    It’s ironic you suspect me of lying, because I strongly suspect you of lying. You are the most inauthentic poster here. It’s why you left the politics forum, because I called you out for your inauthenticity and everyone else saw it.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    GMT +2
    Posts
    14,551
    Quote Originally Posted by nicnac View Post
    And I am a disgruntled Knick fan.
    Is there any other kind?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •