Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang

Mid season review

The great-
    Pitching- I think they are set and do not need to add.
    Judge, Trevino, Stanton.
    Defense has been really good.
    Scoring has been for the most part, fantastic

The solid-
    DJ, while he is't hitting for the average we'd like, he's still getting on base at a great clip.
    IKF, playing good D, light hitting to say the least but not terrible.
    Torres, not bad.
    Rizzo has been great at first and his bat, like DJ has not been hitting to his normal average, has been a very important contributor

Base running has been solid. It's gone a bit downhill in the last few weeks but overall, it's been good

Hitting. This is not a good hitting team. They can hit HRs but the biggest issue I have had from day one is, how will they do vs really good pitching. We just saw. Aside from 2 big innings, they could't hit their way out of a paper bag vs the Astros.

The bad-
    Hicks- He hasn't been terrible but he's been, good at best and terrible at worst, so I feel like bad is a fair assessment

The terrible-
    Gallo- Nothing I need to say
    JD-Not as terrible as Gallo but on his way there. (I think he can turn it around more than Gallo can.)

My assessment is exactly what it was day 1. This team can make the playoffs but I don't think they can win it all as constructed. We all knew when they were going well, it would be crazy to watch and the offensive output would be silly.
    The problem is scoring against top tier pitching. They don't have the lineup, right now to do that.

Subtracting Gallo and hicks for a contact oriented hitters who can run, would be huge.

I am on boat with those who have suggested 2 of Happ/Reynolds/Benintendi. I am moving more towards Happ and Reynolds for pure cost.

Ignorance is bliss

Pitching has been fantastic and will get better in the BP starting about now. I think they have all the arms they've need
    Overall defense has been elite.
    Trevino fantastic and far, far more than expected
    Top 4 in the lineup have been pretty much what we hoped for. Judge, Rizzo and Stanton all on pace to 40hr + seasons

Torres has been a lot better than last yr. Defensively he's been elite and that bat is showing flashes of looking like he did earlier in his career.

IKF has been exactly as advertised, glove first, contact hitter. While he's been fine compared to other area's on this team, if Peraza stays hot I'd rather see him down the stretch

JD has been far less than expected offensively, but he's been elite defensively. I can live with him playing 3rd against LH pitchers. ( still think the " Jackie" thing and the lack of support from his teammates could be what weighing him down)

Hicks, not good. I don't get continuing to run him out there when FLo would be better.

Gallo and continuing to run him out there just doesn't make sense anymore. He's been ok, certainly not elite, defensively.. At this point it wouldn't shock me if he K'd 50% of the time in a beer league softball team. While we're winning in spite of him, it's hard to win 8 vs 9

They have, absolutely have to get at least 1 big SH or LH bat. Preferably someone who can play CF/LF and bat leadoff. Reynolds, Beni or Happ.

If they could get another SH/LH bat for the bottom of the order, that would be ideal.

Other than what out there being reported I have no info on Soto. That said, he just turned down another extension offer of 12yrs 430m. The Nats are reported more open to moving him now. I'm not sure what he'd cost. I'd guess Volpe, Dom, Wells, Waldichuk and Medina for starters

How scary is the possibility of
    DJ
    Judge
    Soto
    Stanton
    Rizzo
    in the playoffs

My assessment. We need a high contact batting average hitter to replace Gallo, preferably a LH or SWH. Reynolds is the dream, Happ is excellent and Bientendi is the rental. I don't think Hicks is going anywhere, but I'd love to send Donaldson packing. He seems to be a good fielder, but from what I observe, I think his arm is getting weaker. I wouldn't mind going with DJ there full time with Carpenter as the backup.

Two OF would be great, pushing Hicks to the 4th - 5th OF role, depending on Stanton and the DH spot, but that's more of a pipe dream.

Barring a trade to acquire talent, we can also trade to clear logjams and bring up rookies, like Florial, Peraza and our lefty catcher.

I think JD will rebound offensively in the second half. I can live with Hicks playing regularly or semi-reg. Gallo needs to be replaced immediately:
    Reynolds
    Happ
    Benintendi
    (preferably in that order)
    If no trade, then play Gonzo more and sit Gallo and use him as a late inning defensive replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    The great-
    Judge, Trevino, Stanton.

The solid-
    DJ, while he is't hitting for the average we'd like, he's still getting on base at a great clip.
    Torres, not bad.
    Rizzo has been great at first and his bat, like DJ has not been hitting to his normal average, has been a very important contributor

Base running has been solid. It's gone a bit downhill in the last few weeks but overall, it's been good

Hitting. This is not a good hitting team. They can hit HRs but the biggest issue I have had from day one is, how will they do vs really good pitching. We just saw. Aside from 2 big innings, they could't hit their way out of a paper bag vs the Astros.

The bad-
    Hicks- He hasn't been terrible but he's been, good at best and terrible at worst, so I feel like bad is a fair assessment

The terrible-
    JD-Not as terrible as Gallo but on his way there. (I think he can turn it around more than Gallo can.)

My assessment is exactly what it was day 1. This team can make the playoffs but I don't think they can win it all as constructed. We all knew when they were going well, it would be crazy to watch and the offensive output would be silly.
    The problem is scoring against top tier pitching. They don't have the lineup, right now to do that.

Subtracting Gallo and hicks for a contact oriented hitters who can run, would be huge.

I am on boat with those who have suggested 2 of Happ/Reynolds/Benintendi. I am moving more towards Happ and Reynolds for pure cost.
    Nice assessment klown...and a good reassessment Day

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFanAlways View Post
    Nice assessment klown...and a good reassessment Day
    We're all basically saying the same things

JD hasn't been great, but with DJ playing a lot of 3rd we can live with it and hope he turns it around

IKF is serviceable, if Peraza continue to stay hot, maybe give him a look later in the yr.

Hicks isn't good, but better than Gallo. It would be great to get a replacement. If not limit his playing time.

Gallo has to go, period. Nice guy, great teammate, hard worker , horrible fit here. For his sake and ours trade him for anything.

Gotta get at least on SH/LH OF that makes a lot of contact, runs well ,plays good D and can play CF/LF. If he's a guy that can leadoff, even better.

Basically, gotta get 1 of Reynolds, Happ or Beni ( my order of preference). 2 of those 3 would be ideal.

Try and get another LH/SH OF bat. If not give Flo some time in the 2nd half.

We have enough pitching that we don't HAVE to get another TORP, but It wouldn't hurt anyone's feelings if they did, depending on cost.

Backup C could be improved, but we have Rortvedt coming back so he could fill that role. That said with as good as the pitching has been, it makes it difficult to mess with the C

Other than Gallo and to a lesser extent Hicks, it's really hard to complain about the rest

jd has been atrocious at the plate what a waste of 25 million dollars

ikf while good defensively he is hitting and producing much less then what he did last year which was ok at best.. all his offensive metrics from last year are down..

gallo a bum hicks is another bum..get rid of both players..

higgy another bum at the plate....

yanks need 2 offensive players to pick up at the deadline so they can have a chance to beat the astros come post season..winning 105 games and losing to houston will drive many fans over the edge..

Quote Originally Posted by johnny ny View Post
    jd has been atrocious at the plate what a waste of 25 million dollars

ikf while good defensively he is hitting and producing much less then what he did last year which was ok at best.. all his offensive metrics from last year are down..

gallo a bum hicks is another bum..get rid of both players..

higgy another bum at the plate....

yanks need 2 offensive players to pick up at the deadline so they can have a chance to beat the astros come post season..winning 105 games and losing to houston will drive many fans over the edge..
    But yet they continue to win! Scored 13 runs thus far today, yeah bunch of bums. They lead the AL East by 13! Yeah bunch of bums. They lead ALL of MLB with a 58-21 record. Yep bunch of bums. The pitching you ask? I think you get the picture.

Sell the Team, HAL!

Flo has to be up soon. Which subtracts one of Gallo/Hicks. Unfortunately we are stuck with Hicks. And stuck with Donaldson. I hated that Donaldson trade immediately.

I think we are pretty much all in agreement

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    The great-
    Judge, Trevino, Stanton.

The solid-
    Torres, not bad.

The bad-

The terrible-

The best thing would be to call up Estevan Florial and give hime the rest of the year. What would you lose, hitting for average, power, SBs, andf a great center fielder. Better option than Hicks and Gallo

Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    Flo has to be up soon. Which subtracts one of Gallo/Hicks. Unfortunately we are stuck with Hicks. And stuck with Donaldson. I hated that Donaldson trade immediately.

I think we are pretty much all in agreement
    I totally agree with you... call up Florial

I don't know how you can say that Stanton is having a great season when he's having a career low in BA and OBP which explains his decent OPS of .847 (the SLG is great though and helping his cause).

Here is my personal assesment:

A+ : Clay Holmes (nobody saw this coming...Not even him I bet)

A-: Judge, Nestor Cortes (for Judge great season especially since he had to move to CF and play with the pressure of facing FA. My only little problem with him is his Ks and not enough BB to compensate. As far as Nestor not much to be said amazing half-season but the 3 starts strech he had him takes from A+ to A-).

B+: Jose Trevino, Matt Carpenter, Gerrit Cole, Jordan Montgomery, Wandy Peralta, Michael King, Ron Marinaccio.

B-: Anthony Rizzo, Giancarlon Stanton, Gleyber Torres, Jameson Taillon, Luis Severino.

C+: DJ LeMahieu, Clarke Schmidt, Lucas Luetge, Miguel Castro.

C-: Isiah Kiner-Falefa, Marwin Gonzalez (expected a little more contact, pop and even speed for IKF frankly but he's been as expected glove wise).

D+: Aaron Hicks (better lately, his OBP keeps him afloat and his ok speed and defense.)

D-: Josh Donaldson, Kyle Higashioka (expected way more from JD, but hopefully he'll bounce back in the 2nd half. Same with Higgy.)

F: Joey Gallo (he should be moved asap, Gallo is just not a fit.)

N/A (not enough PAs or innings to really judge): Aroldis Chapman, Miguel Andujar, Chad Green, Esteban Florial, Tim Locastro, JP Sears.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiNYC View Post
    I don't know how you can say that Stanton is having a great season when he's having a career low in BA and OBP which explains his decent OPS of .847 (the SLG is great though and helping his cause).

Here is my personal assesment:

A+ : Clay Holmes (nobody saw this coming...Not even him I bet)

A-: Judge, Nestor Cortes (for Judge great season especially since he had to move to CF and play with the pressure of facing FA. My only little problem with him is his Ks and not enough BB to compensate. As far as Nestor not much to be said amazing half-season but the 3 starts strech he had him takes from A+ to A-).

B+: Jose Trevino, Matt Carpenter, Gerrit Cole, Jordan Montgomery, Wandy Peralta, Michael King, Ron Marinaccio.

B-: Anthony Rizzo, Giancarlon Stanton, Gleyber Torres, Jameson Taillon, Luis Severino.

C+: DJ LeMahieu, Clarke Schmidt, Lucas Luetge, Miguel Castro.

C-: Isiah Kiner-Falefa, Marwin Gonzalez (expected a little more contact, pop and even speed for IKF frankly but he's been as expected glove wise).

D+: Aaron Hicks (better lately, his OBP keeps him afloat and his ok speed and defense.)

D-: Josh Donaldson, Kyle Higashioka (expected way more from JD, but hopefully he'll bounce back in the 2nd half. Same with Higgy.)

F: Joey Gallo (he should be moved asap, Gallo is just not a fit.)

N/A (not enough PAs or innings to really judge): Aroldis Chapman, Miguel Andujar, Chad Green, Esteban Florial, Tim Locastro, JP Sears.
    I agree with the majority one those grade, solid.

Trevino gets an A from me. As good as a defensive C as there is and been much better with the bat than expected.

I would give everyone in the rotation a B or better. Non of them have missed time for injuries , all 5 our in the top 17 in ERA in the AL and none of them has an ERA higher than 3.40
    Nestor is an A because even with the last couple starts he's massively outperformed expectations

Taillon, Monty and Sevy get a B+ because they have slightly outperformed expectations

Cole for be would be a solid B. Basically as expected.

Only other one I would rank differently is Rizzo. He's on pace for a career high in HR and RBI's, come up clutch in some very big spots and played very good defense, or more accurately has done a great job catching throws.
    Last edited by dayners81; 07-04-2022 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    I agree with the majority one those grade, solid.

Trevino gets an A from me. As good as a defensive C as there is and been much better with the bat than expected.

I would give everyone in the rotation a B or better. Non of them have missed time for injuries , all 5 our in the top 17 in ERA in the AL and none of them has an ERA higher than 3.40
    Nestor is an A because even with the last couple starts he's massively outperformed expectations

Taillon, Monty and Sevy get a B+ because they have slightly outperformed expectations

Cole for be would be a solid B. Basically as expected.

Only other one I would rank differently is Rizzo. He's on pace for a career high in HR and RBI's, come up clutch in some very big spots and played very good defense, or more accurately has done a great job catching throws.
    rizzo has benefited enormously by hitting in yankee stadium he has has quite few home runs that just cleared the wall in right i disagree with on on his defense.. rizzo on pace to have his worse defensive year in his career..if the season ended today rizzo has had his worse year on defense ..according to the stats...

Quote Originally Posted by johnny ny View Post
    rizzo has benefited enormously by hitting in yankee stadium he has has quite few home runs that just cleared the wall in right i disagree with on on his defense.. rizzo on pace to have his worse defensive year in his career..if the season ended today rizzo has had his worse year on defense ..according to the stats...
    Did they count as HRs? I don't care what the stats say, the eye test says he's been very, very good scooping the ball

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast