Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Astro @ Yankees

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by EAGLES3658 View Post
    Hicks slander is getting out on control. He had a really bad month of May. In April he slashed .306/.426/.367 for a 136 wRC+ and in June he has slashed .300/.391/.450 for a .144 wRC+. Now May was awful, he had nearly double the K% in May than he did in April/June. He was definitely in a bad funk. I think he seems to be settling in after missing a lot of time. He has had a few huge hits lately and has the second highest OBP on the team. He certainly isn't the problem with the team. He also had every right to pimp that HR last night. It was in the biggest game of the season, in the bottom of the 9th, and it was a 3 run homer to tie the game. Massive hit and a good sign for the team. Hicks maintaining a .350+ OBP in the bottom spot or two of the lineup would be pretty damn good.

Gallo is the biggest issue with this team and there is a very VERY simple solution to that problem. Go get Ian Happ, couldn't ask for a better fit this season than Ian Happ.

I think some of the Hicks bashing has to do with him and how he conducts himself and some with play.
    Hicks trikes me as a guy who talks smack to start a fight and then he's the last guy into the fight and when everyone is on the way out, he sucker punches someone and comes out bragging like he was a big part of the fight
    That may not be who he is but his effort and talk in light of performance cause me to feel that way. My opinion, nothing else.

I think he overrates himself and he sucks. It certainly seems like his BB IQ is lacking.

But! When he plays within himself, and focuses on team first, he's a solid piece. We all want him to be good. I have commented a few times that if he could get going, he'd be a good leadoff option. Good eye, good speed and makes contact when that's his focus.
    His rankings for barreling, exit velocity are poor. Chase rate is high.
    He is turning into a pull hitter. He is much better from the left side

I agree Gallo is the bigger issue and that Hicks has started to look better. I hope it continues. Maybe it's just taking him a while to find it.

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I think some of the Hicks bashing has to do with him and how he conducts himself and some with play.
    Hicks trikes me as a guy who talks smack to start a fight and then he's the last guy into the fight and when everyone is on the way out, he sucker punches someone and comes out bragging like he was a big part of the fight
    That may not be who he is but his effort and talk in light of performance cause me to feel that way. My opinion, nothing else.

I think he overrates himself and he sucks. It certainly seems like his BB IQ is lacking.

But! When he plays within himself, and focuses on team first, he's a solid piece. We all want him to be good. I have commented a few times that if he could get going, he'd be a good leadoff option. Good eye, good speed and makes contact when that's his focus.

I agree Gallo is the bigger issue and that Hicks has started to look better. I hope it continues. Maybe it's just taking him a while to find it.
    Historically he has been better as a right handed hitter, we'll see if that is a SSS issue for this year so far. He also has the lowest chase rate on the team, by a large margin. He is at 23.1% and the next closest is Judge at 28.3%.

Historically he has been better as a right handed hitter, we'll see if that is a SSS issue for this year so far. He also has the lowest chase rate on the team, by a large margin. He is at 23.1% and the next closest is Judge at 28.3%.
    SSS?

The other think I saw is his speed ranking has dropped quite a bit. I don't know if that has to do with him or that faster guys have come into the league.

Ignorance is bliss

SSS?

The other think I saw is his speed ranking has dropped quite a bit. I don't know if that has to do with him or that faster guys have come into the league.
    Small sample size. He only has 50 couple ABs as a right handed hitter. I think his speed and defense has declined. He hasn't graded out well defensively in CF in years but he isn't unplayable there. Him and Judge splitting CF reps isn't a bad thing. His defense has graded out well in LF so far this year.

Small sample size. He only has 50 couple ABs as a right handed hitter. I think his speed and defense has declined. He hasn't graded out well defensively in CF in years but he isn't unplayable there. Him and Judge splitting CF reps isn't a bad thing. His defense has graded out well in LF so far this year.
    This is kind of my argument regarding him. (Not with you or anyone in specific). At this point, Hicks is a great option as a 4th OF. He plays 4 or so games a week. If there is a tough matchup for a hitter, you pinch hit him and plug him into the OF.
    He has absolutely been better but I just don't see him as a starter anymore.

Ignorance is bliss

my main issue with hicks defensively is after his tommy john surgery his throwing arm is useless it is so bad.. he used to have a very good arm before his surgery..

I've never listened to Hicks talk. I can only judge him by his numbers and despite his walks, he has been bad for a long time now. Hick's BA ranges from under 200 to 230+ and his slugging has progressively gotten worse every year. Now it is an absolute joke. Jose Trevino has double the amount of home runs he has, with a lot fewer at bats. That's just embarrassing. His hitting in high leverage situations is horrific to the point he should automatically be pinch hit for every time, in those situations. Ditto for Gallo.

WTF is it with these guys that have done little all yr trying to look cool after hitting a ball hard. At least Hicks ball left the yard, that one from JD barely bounced over... I hate that crap. Hit it, run like you do and celebrate after u touch home plate with your teammates

Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    I've never listened to Hicks talk. I can only judge him by his numbers and despite his walks, he has been bad for a long time now. Hick's BA ranges from under 200 to 230+ and his slugging has progressively gotten worse every year. Now it is an absolute joke. Jose Trevino has double the amount of home runs he has, with a lot fewer at bats. That's just embarrassing. His hitting in high leverage situations is horrific to the point he should automatically be pinch hit for every time, in those situations. Ditto for Gallo.
    that my biggest issue with him

Sevy's got that good, good stuff tonight. He's got all his pitches working as well. One of the things that has really changed with him is he doesn't have to throw that FB 99-100 anymore, but still can reach back when he needs to

What a catch by Hicks!! Fantastic

Ignorance is bliss

It's interesting how Boone is still continuing to go with Higgy despite his 50 OPS compared with Trevino's 130. What sense does that make?

Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    You mean like last night in the ninth? Guess that's not all you sling.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevemil505 View Post
    You mean like last night in the ninth? Guess that's not all you sling.
    So..........one at bat erases nearly half a season of being terrible? Ok...

No miracle comeback this time. Should take one of the last two, for a split.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast