Jose Urquidy
    RHP
    6-3, 4.68 ERA, 52 SO

vs

Yankees
    Nestor Cortes
    LHP
    6-3, 2.31 ERA, 78 SO

Very much looking forward to this matchup. Astros are probably the one team the Yanks need to worry about most in the AL. Very interested to see how they look against them. Of course, it also seems like the offense is in a mini slump going into this series.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Huge games for Nestor and Sevy

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Huge games for Nestor and Sevy
    Will be interesting to see how Nestor bounces back. Sevy less of a concern imo.

Every time I check the leaderboards, my jaw drops. Here are the Yankees' MLB rankings:

Runs: 1st
    OPS: 1st
    wRC+: 1st
    wOBA: 1st
    xwOBA: 1st
    Home Runs: 1st
    ERA: 1st
    WHIP: 1st
    FIP: 1st
    xFIP: 1st
    SIERA: 1st
    K-BB%: 1st
    BAA: 1st
    DRS: 1st

fWAR (positional): 1st
    fWAR (pitching): 1st

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Every time I check the leaderboards, my jaw drops. Here are the Yankees' MLB rankings:

Runs: 1st
    OPS: 1st
    wRC+: 1st
    wOBA: 1st
    xwOBA: 1st
    Home Runs: 1st
    ERA: 1st
    WHIP: 1st
    FIP: 1st
    xFIP: 1st
    SIERA: 1st
    K-BB%: 1st
    BAA: 1st
    DRS: 1st

fWAR (positional): 1st
    fWAR (pitching): 1st
    That's Truly Impressive and Unbelievable. Great Job Yankees!!!

this is incredible
    @PitchingNinja
    · 14h
    Clay Holmes, Crazy 98mph Sinker Movement (isolated)@PitchingNinja
    · 14h
    Clay Holmes, Crazy 98mph Sinker Movement (isolated)

WTF? they sent Schmidt down to put Abreau on the roster??
    Schmidt was one of the more reliable BP arms we have right now.

Unless they are sending him down to stretch him out so he can make a few spot starts to give our regulars a day or 2 extra rest over the summer, it makes zero sense.

Question for you guys, with the lead we have in the ALE being double digits, wouldn't now be the right time to start giving the rotation some days off? Sevy and Nestor in particular. Bring up a couple guys like Waldichuk, Sears and Wesneski to either stack off Nestor and Sevy or just give them a couple starts in the next few weeks?

Sevy and Nestor need to be at full strength for the playoffs and sometime in the next 5-6 weeks seems like the ideal time for some load management, IMO

WTF? they sent Schmidt down to put Abreau on the roster??
    Schmidt was one of the more reliable BP arms we have right now.

Unless they are sending him down to stretch him out so he can make a few spot starts to give our regulars a day or 2 extra rest over the summer, it makes zero sense.

Question for you guys, with the lead we have in the ALE being double digits, wouldn't now be the right time to start giving the rotation some days off? Sevy and Nestor in particular. Bring up a couple guys like Waldichuk, Sears and Wesneski to either stack off Nestor and Sevy or just give them a couple starts in the next few weeks?

Sevy and Nestor need to be at full strength for the playoffs and sometime in the next 5-6 weeks seems like the ideal time for some load management, IMO
    Rest is always a good thing, however not all guys want to get out of their regular routines.

I agree Day, seems like a good time to rest a few guys. I also agree they may be stretching Schmidt for a few spot starts.

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Rest is always a good thing, however not all guys want to get out of their regular routines.

I agree Day, seems like a good time to rest a few guys. I also agree they may be stretching Schmidt for a few spot starts.
    I just think with Sevy not having pitched this much in 3yrs and Nestor ever, Taillon to a lesser extent, it might not be a bad idea to limit those guys innings by bring up guy who could stack on top of them or just skip them a few times.

I 100% agree some guys do much better staying in their routines, if that the case, limit those guys starts to 50-70 pitches.

Our rotation is the biggest reason that we are in the position we are in now. To win it all, were going to need them pitching well. I just think if there was a time to give those guys a rest it would be starting after this series

Will be interesting to see how Nestor bounces back. Sevy less of a concern imo.
    For me it’s just Sevy vs verlander being big for him

Nester is because it’s Nestor vs Nestor

Ignorance is bliss

I just think with Sevy not having pitched this much in 3yrs and Nestor ever, Taillon to a lesser extent, it might not be a bad idea to limit those guys innings by bring up guy who could stack on top of them or just skip them a few times.

I 100% agree some guys do much better staying in their routines, if that the case, limit those guys starts to 50-70 pitches.

Our rotation is the biggest reason that we are in the position we are in now. To win it all, were going to need them pitching well. I just think if there was a time to give those guys a rest it would be starting after this series
    Makes sense. I reminded of the "Joba rules", I would think they should consider what the pitcher feels most comfortable with, start messing with pitch count and that could have consequences.

I do agree some guys are in uncharted territory, eg Nestor, Tallion, Sevy. The rotation has been so strong and a major asset, on one hand don't want to mess with it, on the other don't want to risk injury or arm fatigue. I would hope as the season progresses their arm gets stronger, also possible it gets tired. I'm sure Blake and his crew are watching them all very closely.

I remember the guru from Atlanta, Leo Mazzone. He had great success with Maddox, Glavine and Smoltz. His philosophy ran counter to current conventional wisdom. He wanted his guys throwing more NOT less. He didn't believe in complete off days. I think his track record deserves some consideration.

Makes sense. I reminded of the "Joba rules", I would think they should consider what the pitcher feels most comfortable with, start messing with pitch count and that could have consequences.

I do agree some guys are in uncharted territory, eg Nestor, Tallion, Sevy. The rotation has been so strong and a major asset, on one hand don't want to mess with it, on the other don't want to risk injury or arm fatigue. I would hope as the season progresses their arm gets stronger, also possible it gets tired. I'm sure Blake and his crew are watching them all very closely.

I remember the guru from Atlanta, Leo Mazzone. He had great success with Maddox, Glavine and Smoltz. His philosophy ran counter to current conventional wisdom. He wanted his guys throwing more NOT less. He didn't believe in complete off days. I think his track record deserves some consideration.
    My question on that theory though is that he didn't work with guys with huge velo like the guys we have minus Nestor.

I agree Blake and company have far more accesses to data than we do and i'd guess they are on top of it.

I think i remember reading that they had indicators setup last yr for Taillon to know when they should back him off. It actually worked out well

Travino channeling his inner Yogi Berra lately.

Doc, I believe more and more that single sport athletes is the issue. These kids are playing, year-round baseball, at the age of 13. They go to camps or are on travel teams and if they are a pitcher who shows promise? The innings logged, during foundational years of growth, is crazy. They have more milage on their arm at 18 than a guy did at 25, 30 years ago.
    Shooting a basketball, throwing a football, playing soccer, running track... all create better proprioception across the board and reduce that strain of repetition.

That specificity from an early age combined with lower body strength training to increase drive and torque seems like a bad recipe. I won't be surprised if in a decade, we see the league add antlers roster spot so teams can carry 14 pitchers. 6 guys who can go 3 innings. 4 who can go 2 and 4 who can go 1.
    You use 2 of the 6, 3 inning guys per game as your "starters". They get 2 days rest and then go again. You have your 2 inning guys to get you to the 9th or pick up some slack if a starter falters.
    There is no other logic as to why so many guys get injuries and need rest.

Ignorance is bliss

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast