View Poll Results: Wins?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

1 100.00%

0 0%

0 0%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Again, 2021 was the lightning in a bottle. This year is closer to reality. This is not a team slander but a weak FO response during the off-season.

Quote Originally Posted by WiGi1 View Post
    Rush, I donít think your condescending and I would strongly disagree with anyone who thought otherwise. In short Iím in opposition with the FO for not doing more to bring in impact players. They seem to spend a great deal of time rattling around in dumpsters looking for a ring. Weíve talked about this before and I remain intractable on the subject. Good and better players cost money and this team deserves better. Doing things on the cheap isnít going to get us very far. I know what the payroll is, the FO has to do better. Do what it takes to bring in players that will make a real difference.
    The thing is they're not being cheap. They spent ~180M over the offseason including Crawford's extension. The difference is they spread out that money rather than allocating it on one or two pieces. They went hard after Story, Harper, Stanton, Scherzer, Stroman. Now you have an argument on their ability to finish big contracts since they haven't been able to do that yet.

Again, 2021 was the lightning in a bottle. This year is closer to reality. This is not a team slander but a weak FO response during the off-season.
    2021 was if everything went right and it did. 2022 was always going to be a letdown of sorts, but they're still playing right around where I expected. If they add a couple pieces they can really solidify this roster to lock up a playoff spot.

I admit I donít know what we offered these guys but to miss out on all of them, and this seems like an every year sort of thing, has to cause some concern. But it all starts and ends with the FO.

Rush, I donít think your condescending and I would strongly disagree with anyone who thought otherwise. In short Iím in opposition with the FO for not doing more to bring in impact players. They seem to spend a great deal of time rattling around in dumpsters looking for a ring. Weíve talked about this before and I remain intractable on the subject. Good and better players cost money and this team deserves better. Doing things on the cheap isnít going to get us very far. I know what the payroll is, the FO has to do better. Do what it takes to bring in players that will make a real difference.
    We know they offered Harper $310M, Stanton declined to come here though they were willing inherit $295M, Stroman highly praised the Giants front office in negotiations, and the Mets just blew everyone out of the water with a $43M AAV.

They offer large contracts, just stumped as to why they don't come here. Though this FO is lauded, and rightly so, as one of the best in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    They offer large contracts, just stumped as to why they don't come here.
    The star hitters generally dont want to come here though because of how difficult it is to hit in our park in comparison to many others. This is widely known.

Us altering the dimensions recently by bringing in the CF wall, lowering the CF wall, + moving triples alley in has helped.

They also closed off the breezeway in RF to give more carry to that side of the field.

Our park and the prime hitter parks still cant really be compared, hitters want their stats to be as best as possible, understandably. Our park does not help them accomplish that.

Not to mention the weather which routinely kills fly balls which in other parks will tend to carry and carry.

Thats why we dont see star hitters jumping at the opportunity to play here.
    Last edited by steveweve; 06-24-2022 at 07:02 PM.

It's not a home run killer like it once was though. Since they redesigned the park and closed off the portholes, Oracle has averaged the 13th most home runs in 2020, third most in 2021, and 10th most this season. I think the old Oracle is still a hang up in players' minds.

Again, the recent dimension/porthole changes have certainly helped. I would attribute some of our home run rankings at home to the improvement/strength of our club because we have been a strong offense in the recent years and we've increased our power drastically throughout the lineup.

The park can certainly favor a hitter during the day, but at night it's still a pitchers park. As we know, the majority of the games are played at night.

Our park still doesn't stack up well offensive wise compared to the likes of: Coors Field, Yankees Stadium, Truist Park, Chase Field, American Family Field, Citizens Bank Park, Nationals Park. Just to name a few, the list goes on. The home run totals don't account for talent level for the teams that play half of their games there. Many parks havent favored hitters more than ours, may be lower on the list because their talent level is so low. Detroit is a tough place to play, but there arent many more.

Like we both said, it's not as bad as it used to be. But during night games, Oracle Park can still be and still is a home-run killer. The weather can knock a ball down by dozens of feet of where it was supposed to land.

It's tough to get that notion out of the players heads, they are the ones playing games there.

How many times have we seen home-runs across the league, and statcast shows the only park it wouldn't be a home-run in is our park.

As I mentioned a couple years ago when we adjusted the dimensions, I'd still be up for a 2nd adjustment because overall the park still favors pitchers, regardless of how good of a hitting staff we have. It is still a pitchers park. Day games lean slightly in favor of the hitter because there is much more carry to all sides of the field.
    Last edited by steveweve; 06-25-2022 at 01:02 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456