Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    Which one does it mean in America?
    I donít think it clearly aligns with either one. It has elements of both. You think of conservative and liberal as being opposite ends on a semi circle, but either one taken to the extreme and it starts to turn toward looking like the other.

Quote Originally Posted by MRSpock View Post
    Libertarian is rooted in left ideology for sure though. Its just pointless to get hung up on terms (not saying you are just pointing that out).

Reagan definitely was a Conservative though. Not a libertarian.

But thats the thing. Rught wing libertarians are full of ****. They wont be against gay marriage. But theyll say "marriage should be left to the church".

Which is essentially the same thing.
    It depends what you mean by left ideology lol. The issue is probably all of these terms are used differently. I agree it is pointless to get hung up on terms, especially if the person clearly gave their opinion on it like Maher did overall. That was part of my point.

Libertarian often has little or nothing to do with left/right economically speaking for people. He would support a Conservative like Reagan due to economics but wouldn't due to the culture war was the point he was making. This is why calling him left would be off to anyone who associates the left with economic policy, he's actually on the right. He has explained this outside of those examples as well. If you are talking economic left/right he is right and if you are talking socially he is on the left and against the culture war stuff. I think a lot of libertarians in this country are similar on that aspect and why he used the term to describe himself when pointing it out.
    Last edited by mngopher35; 06-27-2022 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    Which one does it mean in America?
    American Libertarians are basically pot smoking Republicans at this point.

Gary Johnson went from a Republican governor to a Libertarian presidential candidate. Justin Amash went from a Republican Congressman to a Libertarian Congressman. Bill Weld, Johnson's VP nominee in 2016, went from Republican to Libertarian. Jim Gray, the 2012 VP nominee, went from Republican to Libertarian. Bob Barr, the 2008 nominee, went from Republican to Libertarian. Wayne Allen Root, Barr's VP nominee, went from Libertarian to Republican and is a strong Trump supporter.

If you look at the History section on Wikipedia that talks about many of the recent electoral wins the Libertarian party has had, pretty much all at the state or local level, almost all of them are Republicans that switched parties. The only one that didn't is a guy that was elected to the New Hampshire House of Reps as a Democrat, then switched to Libertarian, and then resigned his office... because he graduated college and was moving away. But even then, the head of the Libertarian caucus in the New Hampshire House at the time is a former Republican. It's pretty much one-way traffic, and there's a reason for that.

"It is a grotesque parody of the bazaar at Marrakech, as if dumb animals had been granted only the amount of sentience required to mock humanity."

Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    American Libertarians are basically pot smoking Republicans at this point.

Gary Johnson went from a Republican governor to a Libertarian presidential candidate. Justin Amash went from a Republican Congressman to a Libertarian Congressman. Bill Weld, Johnson's VP nominee in 2016, went from Republican to Libertarian. Jim Gray, the 2012 VP nominee, went from Republican to Libertarian. Bob Barr, the 2008 nominee, went from Republican to Libertarian. Wayne Allen Root, Barr's VP nominee, went from Libertarian to Republican and is a strong Trump supporter.

If you look at the History section on Wikipedia that talks about many of the recent electoral wins the Libertarian party has had, pretty much all at the state or local level, almost all of them are Republicans that switched parties. The only one that didn't is a guy that was elected to the New Hampshire House of Reps as a Democrat, then switched to Libertarian, and then resigned his office... because he graduated college and was moving away. But even then, the head of the Libertarian caucus in the New Hampshire House at the time is a former Republican. It's pretty much one-way traffic, and there's a reason for that.
    Alright, Spock was saying that it was left ideology so it's tough to know what people think on these terms haha. Everyone just uses terms differently though but as I explained to him I would agree with the idea many are "right wing" in this country in many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfishguy85 View Post
    Nah. For me itís more like let individuals live how they want to without any government interference. As long as youíre not hurting someone else, I donít care what you do.
    Uh-huh...they like the idea of being some rugged individualist but they never are. They are more often than not yuppies who act like the city life is too good for them but enjoy all the benefits of the collective life while hating that they are expected to contribute somewhat to the cost of maintaining the things they like. Libertarians are just selfish people who think they should get all the perks and do none of the work.
    Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    the delays of the courts needs to end at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    And if people got **** counsel, well they had to die so the court could move fasterÖbut tell me again how pro-life you are!
    I was told there would be pro-life! Not pro-death!

Nah. For me itís more like let individuals live how they want to without any government interference. As long as youíre not hurting someone else I donít care what you do.
    And yet always there is this pesky little fly in the ointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    And yet always there is this pesky little fly in the ointment.
    Their definition of hurting someone else always moves around. Itís like itís how they pretend they arenít libertarian they are just selfish.

Their definition of hurting someone else always moves around. Itís like itís how they pretend they arenít libertarian they are just selfish.
    I think you're confused. Liberals are the ones always changing their minds on deciding for everybody what's offensive.

I think you're confused. Liberals are the ones always changing their minds on deciding for everybody what's offensive.
    My good friend. You seem confused. Fox is the station of perpetual victimhood. They constantly find a new thing that is victimizing straight white people each and every day.
    Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    the delays of the courts needs to end at some point.
    And if people got **** counsel, well they had to die so the court could move fasterÖbut tell me again how pro-life you are!
    I was told there would be pro-life! Not pro-death!

My good friend. You seem confused. Fox is the station of perpetual victimhood. They constantly find a new thing that is victimizing straight white people each and every day.
    Oh, but the liberals claiming everybody should be offended by the name of a football team donít count? Theyíve polled native Americans, and they couldnít give less of a ****, but leave it to liberals to decide what we should all be offended by.

Oh, but the liberals claiming everybody should be offended by the name of a football team donít count? Theyíve polled native Americans, and they couldnít give less of a ****, but leave it to liberals to decide what we should all be offended by.
    A University of California Berkeley study, released in February 2020, questioned more than 1,000 people who self-identified as Native American.
    The results showed that 49% of respondents agreed or strongly agreed that the name was offensive. That number jumped to 67% for those "frequently engaged in tribal cultural practices."
    https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/v...d-e780b5ab4f3b

There were other polls that showed very differently.

There were other polls that showed very differently.
    You mean there are all sorts of polls that show different things based on who gets polled? You referenced one poll that fed your narrative. You ignored the poll I mentioned.

You mean there are all sorts of polls that show different things based on who gets polled? You referenced one poll that fed your narrative. You ignored the poll I mentioned.
    You cherry picked one poll to support your narrative. Whatís different? Oh, right, youíre a liberalÖ itís ok for you to do it.

Then again, people like you decided pancakes and rice are offensive. Why am I even trying to have a rational conversation with you?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast