Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Oscar Robertson
    Jerry West
    Elgin Baylor
    Bill Russell
    Wilt Chamberlain

Bob Cousy
    George Mikan

When people say top 10 I usually assume the unspoken part is top 10 ďafter bob cousyĒ. So really Iíve always looked at is as #2-11 overall. No need to debate #1 when itís so obvious

Better to do it in levels of pyramid than lists anyway as the game grows. 9-13 is fairly interchangeable.

To me, the all time top 10 are,

1. MJ
    2. LeBron
    3. Kareem
    4. Magic
    5. Duncan
    6. Hakeem
    7. Wilt
    8. Oscar
    9. Shaq
    10. Steph

There have been so many great players in NBA history that deserve to be mentioned in these discussions you could make another list of 10 other players, so we'll call them honorable mentions (not ordered)

Kobe Bryant
    Larry Bird
    Jerry West
    Kevin Durant
    David Robinson
    Julius Erving
    Karl Malone
    Bill Russell
    Moses Malone
    Kawhi Leonard

Guys today that will possibly, some certainly, knock some players off these lists one day include Giannis, Luka, Morant, Jokic, Embiid, Tatum and Zion.

MJ/Lebron/Kareem
    Duncan/Shaq/Wilt
    Bird/Hakeem/Magic/Curry/Kobe/Russell

I think I would go with something like this for tiers. It's 12 total players so 2 have to be left out of the top 10 and it's tough.

MJ/LeBron
    KAJ/Wilt
    Shaq/Duncan
    Bird/Kobe/Magic
    Russell/Curry/Dream

My new top 10ish tiers

If winning the last game of the season is a major factor then Wilt can't be top 10 anymore. Top 10 has to be 3 or more rings it would seem.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    If winning the last game of the season is a major factor then Wilt can't be top 10 anymore. Top 10 has to be 3 or more rings it would seem.
    An exception is made for Wilt

not having Bird in the top 5 is ridiculous. Heck not in the top 3 is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    An exception is made for Wilt
    Not by everyone, not anymore.

Not by everyone, not anymore.
    Then they never did their research, or are too caught up in modern times. Wilt is the most dominant athlete in history perhaps. If we demand our top 10 players win in a team sport, that changes how we should view it entirely. Not just a little bit.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by AntiG View Post
    not having Bird in the top 5 is ridiculous. Heck not in the top 3 is ridiculous.
    I love Bird, but if most have MJ/LeBron top 2 then there is a lot of tough reasonable competition for 3. Don't think Bird is the no question best of the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by AntiG View Post
    9 years of prime, numbers that just can't stand up longevity wise to others.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    Then they never did their research, or are too caught up in modern times. Wilt is the most dominant athlete in history perhaps. If we demand our top 10 players win in a team sport, that changes how we should view it entirely. Not just a little bit.
    That was my stipulation ... if winning is very important then Wilt loses. It's a major factor on why Russell is in the vast majority of top 10s out there.

That was my stipulation ... if winning is very important then Wilt loses. It's a major factor on why Russell is in the vast majority of top 10s out there.
    Understood. For me, basketball is a team sport. We can't possibly expect Wilt to win on the level of Russell for example, who played with multiple HOFs. Obviously without long playoff runs we can't compile evidence for a player when it comes to playoff performance, but Wilt had enough under his belt for me.

Isolated, Wilt is arguably the most dominating force in history. His lack of winning does drop him below MJ/LeBron for me, but puts him with Kareem in my next tier.

He was just SO dominant.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast