Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by steagles View Post
    when the capitals won their cup, they had the biggest forward corps in the NHL.

when the kings won their cups, half of their forward corps was 6'3+, 220+ lbs.

the lightning currently have a 4th line with noted luminaries (and former whipping boys for this same flyers fanbase) PEB and pat maroon.

the idea that you can't win in the NHL while playing a hard-hitting physical style of hockey is just a weird self-hating myth that parts of this fanbase got suckered into believing.
    Ya but those teams have competent big players. We decided to go after risto and pay almost 7 assets in the meantime to get the useless turnip. Macewan is another player the flyers love and he sucks ***. I don’t Mind getting bigger as long as these players have skill.

Our prospect pool ****ijng sucks too. Just awful

Our prospect pool is definitely thin. That problems leads to overspending on players in free agency - which causes the GM to spend to almost the limit - handcuffing the team when it comes to the TDL and adding a piece or 2 here or there.

The development of young players has been a problem for the Flyers for a very long time. Probably goes back as far as the mid to late 80s/early 90s....Do they give up on their prospects to early? Is it the constant NHL AHL ride these guys go on over and over.....If you're bringing a prospect up he should be up for more then 2-3 games then sent back down to play a different system over and over.

As I said before these guys are drafted because of their skills on either side of the puck....to squash those skills so they fit in the team "scheme" doesn't do them any good. Let these kids do what they do best and learn while playing.
    Last edited by SportsNutMike; 06-19-2022 at 09:46 PM.

I think the FLyers fan base will love Torts when he blows up during a game or after with the media. I'm worried how many players he's going to piss off and want to be traded. I'm guessing G isn't coming back at this point either. I said to a friend, I've never heard of Bednar before the playoffs. I want someone like him coaching the Flyers if and when they start winning. That is a hell of a game the Av's are playing right now. Plus look at their players, most guys are over 6' and are fast.

Quote Originally Posted by SportsNutMike View Post
    Our prospect pool is definitely thin. That problems leads to overspending on players in free agency - which causes the GM to spend to almost the limit - handcuffing the team when it comes to the TDL and adding a piece or 2 here or there.

The development of young players has been a problem for the Flyers for a very long time. Probably goes back as far as the mid to late 80s/early 90s....Do they give up on their prospects to early? Is it the constant NHL AHL ride these guys go on over and over.....If you're bringing a prospect up he should be up for more then 2-3 games then sent back down to play a different system over and over.

As I said before these guys are drafted because of their skills on either side of the puck....to squash those skills so they fit in the team "scheme" doesn't do them any good. Let these kids do what they do best and learn while playing.
    They need to unload contracts for prospects and picks starting with Provorov, Konecny and JVR. They will probably have to eat a good portion of JVR's contract. At the trade deadline they should look to move Atkinson, Couts and Ellis if he makes a comeback.

Ya but those teams have competent big players. We decided to go after risto and pay almost 7 assets in the meantime to get the useless turnip. Macewan is another player the flyers love and he sucks ***. I don’t Mind getting bigger as long as these players have skill.
    you're not wrong.

but a large portion of that can be summarized as "luck is the residue of design". one of the ways that good organizations show their strength is by consistently putting players in positions where they can succeed. in a capped environment, getting someone like corey perry to play a level he hasn't touched in the last 5 years is a massive advantage. good organizations make that happen (andrew wiggins in GSW; milan lucic before and after he left BOS; al horford); the flyers....not so much (ryan white and tyler pitlick notwithstanding).

i think the flyers were actually pretty good at developing prospects throughout most of the 00s; they just didn't value prospects, and because they didn't value them, they traded a lot of their high draft picks instead of using them.

they picked carter and richards, giroux and couturier, and none of those picks were in the top 5.

their first round "misses" in the first decade after the lockout were JVR, steve downie and scott laughton, each of whom stuck in the NHL for about a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by steagles View Post
    you're not wrong.

they picked carter and richards, giroux and couturier, and none of those picks were in the top 5.

their first round "misses" in the first decade after the lockout were JVR, steve downie and scott laughton, each of whom stuck in the NHL for about a decade.
    Patrick was the biggest. He was supposed to be the 2c for the next decade for the flyers and his injury led to us signing hayes to a **** deal. Could’ve had makar, heiskanen, petterson signhhhh

I don't feel like we have anything to look forward to with this team next year. I feel like we can't even hope for the tank, because we are just good enough to fall in that middle void somewhere. I know the offseason hasn't really happened yet, but Fletcher has done absolutely nothing to instill confidence that we can do something to improve this roster drastically. I'm worried that he's going to package a pick with JVR to get rid of him...We packaged a top 40 pick with Ghost last year to get rid of him...how crappy is that? I've tried to spin light on things in the past, but I'm out of ways to see this going right in the next 2-4 years...We have Hart, and Couts will start getting older. I'm almost on board with trading him to get something out of it and getting our rebuild on, but with Torts saying this is the last gig he's taking, I doubt we're tanking next year....I dont know...

Quote Originally Posted by LLMunchie619 View Post
    I don't feel like we have anything to look forward to with this team next year. I feel like we can't even hope for the tank, because we are just good enough to fall in that middle void somewhere. I know the offseason hasn't really happened yet, but Fletcher has done absolutely nothing to instill confidence that we can do something to improve this roster drastically. I'm worried that he's going to package a pick with JVR to get rid of him...We packaged a top 40 pick with Ghost last year to get rid of him...how crappy is that? I've tried to spin light on things in the past, but I'm out of ways to see this going right in the next 2-4 years...We have Hart, and Couts will start getting older. I'm almost on board with trading him to get something out of it and getting our rebuild on, but with Torts saying this is the last gig he's taking, I doubt we're tanking next year....I dont know...
    Ya no way we tank. Fletcher said he’s going. To make more moves. That starts with jvr cus he needs to free up cap. Very dark days ahead. We are no where near cup contention and can barely make wild card. We should tank but fletcher is a ****ing moron. If we were able to get a top 5 next year it would speed things up like crazy. 2 back to back top 5 picks would’ve made this bearable

Quote Originally Posted by 3iverson3 View Post
    Ya no way we tank. Fletcher said he’s going. To make more moves. That starts with jvr cus he needs to free up cap. Very dark days ahead. We are no where near cup contention and can barely make wild card. We should tank but fletcher is a ****ing moron. If we were able to get a top 5 next year it would speed things up like crazy. 2 back to back top 5 picks would’ve made this bearable
    With the team we currently have, we don't need to try to tank...we might just inherently end up doing it. I mean, we are worse than what we had at the start of last year and trading out JVR for Johnny Hockey won't be nearly enough of an upgrade. All of our prospects are either underperforming or injury prone (or both). I don't see any path that would have us really in contention for a playoff spot next year. Farabee is already out for the first month or two of the season. lol

Quote Originally Posted by LLMunchie619 View Post
    With the team we currently have, we don't need to try to tank...we might just inherently end up doing it. I mean, we are worse than what we had at the start of last year and trading out JVR for Johnny Hockey won't be nearly enough of an upgrade. All of our prospects are either underperforming or injury prone (or both). I don't see any path that would have us really in contention for a playoff spot next year. Farabee is already out for the first month or two of the season. lol
    Ya there’s no way we contend. Hopefully we aren’t stuck between 8-15 tho which is where we usually are…mediocre. Getting Ellis and couts back definitely help this team not be as bad but hopefully we can still tank hard. We need the top 5 this year to be a home run + another top 5 next year. 2 top 5 pick back to back picks can really get this team going in the right direction (hopefully)

Quote Originally Posted by 3iverson3 View Post
    Ya there’s no way we contend. Hopefully we aren’t stuck between 8-15 tho which is where we usually are…mediocre. Getting Ellis and couts back definitely help this team not be as bad but hopefully we can still tank hard. We need the top 5 this year to be a home run + another top 5 next year. 2 top 5 pick back to back picks can really get this team going in the right direction (hopefully)
    Not with the current ownership and GM. Don't think there is much help for us with that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12