Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Lions sign Devin Funchess

Lions signed TE Devin Funchess.
    Yes, tight end. You read that correctly. They are moving the 6-foot-4, 225-pound Funchess inside and announced that as they made the move. Funchess has been a complete NFL non-factor since his rookie contract, reeling in just three passes since 2018. Hopefully the move to tight end can change something for him, though it wasn't like he was an exemplary blocker earlier in his career. Funchess is likely just fighting to try to remain on the NFL radar, and doing whatever he can to make that happen.
    via rotoworld

With James Mitchell and Derrick Deese on the sideline the Lions probably need another vet body in TC. I hope he makes it because the athletic skillset is intriguing but it has been a while since he has been very effective. Plus it would be cool to see a Michigan native make the team and contribute.

Love it, definitely hoping he makes the team, and yes that's my Michigan homerism speaking. Michigan gave him the coveted #1 jersey for a reason, and the NFL thought it meant he was a receiver

He broke out at UM because he was TE with elite receiving skills, not because he was an elite receiver (if that makes sense), it's been a long time but hopefully he still has game, still only 28

Yeah I like this pickup as well. Could be a sneaky good weapon if he returns to form and being covered by LBs and Safety should hopefully bode well instead of corners.

How much help does Goff need???

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    This isn't about Goff

Is he willing to block? Seems we've got a bit of a logjam of TEs who like to catch but aren't high quality blockers already. It'd make for a terrific story, but I don't think he makes the team.

Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    This isn't about Goff
    Golf is our leader putt some respect on his name

Quote Originally Posted by Five Angels View Post
    Is he willing to block? Seems we've got a bit of a logjam of TEs who like to catch but aren't high quality blockers already. It'd make for a terrific story, but I don't think he makes the team.
    They could be very well trying to find a stop gap guy for a year or two If we deal hockenson for more top draft capital. Or maybe TE is extremely weak and the more bodies we have the higher the chance of finding guys who can play.

All the help he can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
    All the help he can get.
    League put on notice

Golf is our leader putt some respect on his name
    he bites his own knees

(even LIV wouldn't pay him more than the Lions do)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
    They could be very well trying to find a stop gap guy for a year or two If we deal hockenson for more top draft capital. Or maybe TE is extremely weak and the more bodies we have the higher the chance of finding guys who can play.
    I think it's more the later scenario than the former. The depth behind TJ is real bad so any NFL quality body's probably would serve as an improvement at TE #2. Not including Mitchell because on the injury. At the very least, theoretically, Funchess could serve as TE #2 for this year or until Mitchell is ready. Same thing they did with DJ Chark applies here imo. If both play well and the rookies sit or force their way in, either way is a great thing for us.