Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    Hang on a second.

Are you seriously trying to suggest that any judging is what that passage was referring to?

Does this mean we shouldn't have any judges, since they've also done things wrong in their life and thus are in no position to judge anyone else?
    I'm not sure what your point here is or what exactly you're asking. Jesus was speaking to his disciples about hypocrisy when judging.. In an ideal world that same standard should hold true for anyone. This passage is often misinterpreted as judgement being a bad thing, hence my point about the courts. What type of "judging" are you saying is wrong? I have a feeling you might have a different, negative interpretation of its meaning so I'm curious. Anyway, here's something I read just briefly, but it seems to explain that part of scripture pretty well.
    https://www.christianity.com/wiki/bi...ot-judged.html

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mannyfnz View Post
    Yes, we're all sinners.. but being a Christian is not about having a righteousness of our own. That doesn't mean I get to continue living in a way that's displeasing to God.. there is a lifelong process of sanctification. If I call myself a Christian, say that I'm covered by grace just so I can do what I want..then tell others to repent, then yes that is hypocrisy.
    But is any “Christian” in a position to say the following about a fellow “Christian?” (who happens to be a member of the Protestant clergy, for what it’s worth).

Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    Meyers is no Christian so it's no surprise he does not know things.

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    But is any “Christian” in a position to say the following about a fellow “Christian?” (who happens to be a member of the Protestant clergy, for what it’s worth).
    Being a clergyman doesn't make anyone a Christian. Anyway, it's correct to address someone who claims to be a follower of Christ when it's only external without a changed heart. That's what the Pharisees did and what Christ was addressing.. it was for show. They were not true believers. I haven't read back through this thread so I don't know who Meyers is, but again..if a Christian sees a pattern of sin in someone else who says there are also a Christian it should be addressed. There's nothing wrong with that type of judgment. If the one judging is doing so for selfish gain or with careless lack of discernment then yea it could definitely be unfounded. I think "judging others" has gotten a bad rap. Biblically speaking, the intent is not out of malice or a holier-than-thou attitude.. It's meant to be from love for your fellow brother or sister.

Being a clergyman doesn't make anyone a Christian. Anyway, it's correct to address someone who claims to be a follower of Christ when it's only external without a changed heart. That's what the Pharisees did and what Christ was addressing.. it was for show. They were not true believers. I haven't read back through this thread so I don't know who Meyers is, but again..if a Christian sees a pattern of sin in someone else who says there are also a Christian it should be addressed. There's nothing wrong with that type of judgment. If the one judging is doing so for selfish gain or with careless lack of discernment then yea it could definitely be unfounded. I think "judging others" has gotten a bad rap. Biblically speaking, the intent is not out of malice or a holier-than-thou attitude.. It's meant to be from love for your fellow brother or sister.
    How can you possibly know this about another?

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    How can you possibly know this about another?
    I don't think it's always clear cut at all, which is why it needs to be done in humility with some insight. The standard should always be scripture. Clearly if someone is doing external things in order to be seen..whether it be praying, fasting, giving etc (these are ALL mentioned throughout the text), yet you see a pattern of living that is unbiblical, that's a pretty good clue.. A Christian wants to obey God in a personal way, not to be seen by men.

I don't think it's always clear cut at all, which is why it needs to be done in humility with some insight. The standard should always be scripture. Clearly if someone is doing external things in order to be seen..whether it be praying, fasting, giving etc (these are ALL mentioned throughout the text), yet you see a pattern of living that is unbiblical, that's a pretty good clue.. A Christian wants to obey God in a personal way, not to be seen by men.

Excellent post
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, crovash, nastynice, natepro, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

The standard should always be scripture.
    As you interpret it?
    Nobody thinks…about anything…ever.

As you interpret it?
    I honestly think that "interpret" argument is pretty lame.. The bible is actually quite clear, but people love to take scripture out of context and read into it in a way that might make it say what they want. If you have an example of something that gives room for interpretation send it to me.

Matthew 5:44.

Matthew 5:44.
    Love your enemies and pray for those that persecute you. I don't see how that can be misinterpreted. Similar to Luke 6:32-35.

https://biblehub.com/commentaries/matthew/5-44.htm
    These biblehub commentaries are always pretty good, in case you care to check it out.

Love your enemies and pray for those that persecute you. I don't see how that can be misinterpreted. Similar to Luke 6:32-35.
    Do you believe God literally created the world in 7 days or was that figurative?

Love your enemies and pray for those that persecute you. I don't see how that can be misinterpreted.
    I prefer the KJV: “But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;”

It would seem that the multitudes of so-called Christians who ignore it — and have ignored it over the course of time — must have found some way to interpret it in order to justify their venomous actions.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Do you believe God literally created the world in 7 days or was that figurative?
    Literal.

Literal.

Ok, I gotta see the evidence (no Bible, peer reviewed by relevant scientists )

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by blams; 07-06-2022 at 11:52 PM.

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast