Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 22 of 65 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    I can't imagine that the next cba negotiations aren't going to be a complete bloodbath over all this player empowerment stuff anways, but it would go nuclear if Kyrie took the MLE after declining a max. the only thing currently holding the NBA as a fair product is that with a few exceptions everyone takes the most money they can get.

Quote Originally Posted by dhopisthename View Post
    I can't imagine that the next cba negotiations aren't going to be a complete bloodbath over all this player empowerment stuff anways, but it would go nuclear if Kyrie took the MLE after declining a max. the only thing currently holding the NBA as a fair product is that with a few exceptions everyone takes the most money they can get.
    Oh for sure. Especially with the speculation that his “beef” with Nike was to get a better shoe deal. These guys in some cases make more off the court than on, so if Kyrie can make up the $35mil/year off the court with endorsements and appearance fees in LA, there’s basically no penalty to him for making this move.

It was honestly starting to devolve to something like this anyways, but I didn’t think it was going to happen with a Kyrie level player first. I thought for sure we were going to see some fringe all star guy take a MLE for two years to pop onto a loaded team to win a ring.

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    I still think Beal will be out of WAS soon. Him signing an extension now gets him his money and WAS will be able to get a legit offer for him in a trade vs sign and trade scraps. I very much see a Paul George OKC situation here.
    This has been the rumor for 5 years. At some point I think we just have to accept that he's probably staying.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    This has been the rumor for 5 years. At some point I think we just have to accept that he's probably staying.
    I feel like he’s a dude that enjoys being in the rumor mill like that because it makes fans think he’s better than he is.

Oh for sure. Especially with the speculation that his “beef” with Nike was to get a better shoe deal. These guys in some cases make more off the court than on, so if Kyrie can make up the $35mil/year off the court with endorsements and appearance fees in LA, there’s basically no penalty to him for making this move.

It was honestly starting to devolve to something like this anyways, but I didn’t think it was going to happen with a Kyrie level player first. I thought for sure we were going to see some fringe all star guy take a MLE for two years to pop onto a loaded team to win a ring.
    We knew it was a joke when these shoe companies put in their contracts that players get more money if they play for certain teams. That should have voided NBA eligibility if signed. M

Are we headed towards player contracts based on production tiers? Not sure how you could enforce it if teams don’t offer a player a better contract, though.

It doesn’t make sense though. It can’t just be that they are able to afford to go into the tax, but they want to be profitable to go into the tax. It’s not profitable to be in the tax.

Warriors are also the only team in the league where they own the arena. There’s a bunch of teams where the owner is a subsidy of the teams owner (Nuggets, Blazers, Raptors, Jazz, Wizards). For those 6 teams it means they aren’t paying to the right to be in the building, rather they make money off ‘renting out’ the building for events. They also get the revenue for concessions that teams don’t get. That can all be used to help make a tax team profitable.
    Teams are in the tax at $150M right? Do you think most NBA teams are making less than the tax threshold a year? If they are making $150,000,001 they can spend $150M and still make a profit (obviously not real numbers). If they want to maximize profit that formula obviously changes.

And I've been trying to make the point that even without all that extra revenue the Warriors were not going to lose money just based on the increase in the value of the team over time. Even the least valuable teams are worth several times more now than they were 10 years ago. We also have a league where the majority of teams are owned by billionaires.

Kyrie is opting in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kyrie is opting in.
    Kind of just means he's not going to sign somewhere as a FA and has to be traded ... or not. Doesn't really change the debate all that much ... yet.

lol going to be funny when if all this just turns into nothing happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Kind of just means he's not going to sign somewhere as a FA and has to be traded ... or not. Doesn't really change the debate all that much ... yet.
    the problem is that opting in really eliminates the lakers from all of this I think unless the nets do actually settle on just getting westbrook. I wonder if Kyrie thought there would be a bidding war for him and it turns out only Lebron had the pull to even get a team to bite for him and he could only get a MLE from the lakers since they don't have the salaries for him.

lol going to be funny when if all this just turns into nothing happening.
    That's the usual result.

the problem is that opting in really eliminates the lakers from all of this I think unless the nets do actually settle on just getting westbrook. I wonder if Kyrie thought there would be a bidding war for him and it turns out only Lebron had the pull to even get a team to bite for him and he could only get a MLE from the lakers since they don't have the salaries for him.
    Even funnier….Lakers are the only team interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like he’s a dude that enjoys being in the rumor mill like that because it makes fans think he’s better than he is.
    Agree. Every year we talk about how someone needs to trade for him and how Washington wasted him while he gets to roll in the dough and be the guy on a mediocre at best team. Not a bad spot to be in really.

John Wall is bought out! Not that it matters much from a cap standpoint but he’ll be signing somewhere when FA hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    John Wall is bought out! Not that it matters much from a cap standpoint but he’ll be signing somewhere when FA hits.
    Suspect he’s headed to Lakers

Page 22 of 65 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast