Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The worst of NBA TV coverage

Let's get rid of Perk and Jay Williams. What is ESPN thinking? The only good person I can think of is Redick.

The Warriors local PBP guy Bob Fitzsimmons is a terrible game caller and a disgusting homer. I want Greg Papa back.

Who else is terrible and needs to go? Studio or play by play. National or Local.

I really like Mike Breen and JVG but could really do without PreachaMan. Reggie is pretty bad, too.

The Rockets new color guy is Ryan Hollins this year and he was ok, I guess. He commentatored like he played. Really miss Matt Bullard in that role.

Mark Jackson isnt that bad a commentator IMO but Reggie is bad.

Very few are good. Either they donít want back in the league so they donít care to suck the dick of players or they want back in so they suck the dick of players.

Perkins is an absolute joke. How that guy has a job is beyond me. He wasn't good in his playing days, he isn't entertaining or funny, isn't articulate....but he says "carry the hell on" and "at the end of the day" a lot so I guess that's good enough to be an employee at ESPN.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    I really like Mike Breen and JVG but could really do without PreachaMan. Reggie is pretty bad, too.

The Rockets new color guy is Ryan Hollins this year and he was ok, I guess. He commentatored like he played. Really miss Matt Bullard in that role.
    I couldn't stand the Rockets local crew from 5-6 years ago. Don't remember who they were.

Mark Jackson sucks, I have been hoping he'd get a coaching job so we could be rid of him.

Reggie is okay, doesn't bug me much.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Very few are good. Either they donít want back in the league so they donít care to suck the dick of players or they want back in so they suck the dick of players.
    The Warriors sent Jim Barnett, the local color guy for decades who was great and sucked no dick, to the radio and replaced him with Kalenna Azubuike who is not good.

The guy that accompanies Dell Curry on Hornets games is the best commentator in the league. I donít even care about the Hornets but he makes it so exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I couldn't stand the Rockets local crew from 5-6 years ago. Don't remember who they were.

Mark Jackson sucks, I have been hoping he'd get a coaching job so we could be rid of him.

Reggie is okay, doesn't bug me much.
    Clyde Drexel was always terrible and Bill Worrell definitely started slipping around that time. But heís a Houston legend that earned the right to stay a bit too long. Matt Bullard went from being the occasional third guy to the color road guy to the color guy to the front office. He brought some fun, some stories, some great analysis, and wasnít too much of a homer. All you can ask for in a color man.

I heard the Warriors guys a few times over the years and was not affected either way but hated one guy in particular. Probably the guy you donít like.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    The guy that accompanies Dell Curry on Hornets games is the best commentator in the league. I donít even care about the Hornets but he makes it so exciting.
    The play by play guy? I'll have to listen next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    Clyde Drexel was always terrible and Bill Worrell definitely started slipping around that time. But heís a Houston legend that earned the right to stay a bit too long. Matt Bullard went from being the occasional third guy to the color road guy to the color guy to the front office. He brought some fun, some stories, some great analysis, and wasnít too much of a homer. All you can ask for in a color man.

I heard the Warriors guys a few times over the years and was not affected either way but hated one guy in particular. Probably the guy you donít like.
    Last couple times I heard them it sounded like Frazier was slipping on the Knicks team, but Breen does a smooth job of keeping him in check.

The problem with ESPN, and Fox Sports as well, is they push reality television drama over just reporting news and giving insights. Their main goal is to boisterously argue on television, and those big personalities are the people that get pushed on the network.

Guys like Stephen A, Max Kellerman, Jay Williams, Mike Greenberg, ect only pay attention to the most high profile teams, which this season would have been the Lakers, Nets, Warriors, Celtics, and Bucks. The only NBA games they almost certainly ever watch in the regular season are nationally televised games. They are paid to bloviate, and to be as entertaining as possible as they bloviate. That's the problem with the national media.

Note, since we're also talking about local broadcasters, I want to give a shoutout to Eric Reid who is sensational for the Miami Heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    The Warriors sent Jim Barnett, the local color guy for decades who was great and sucked no dick, to the radio and replaced him with Kalenna Azubuike who is not good.
    We had Marc Zumoff and Malik Rose and they were a great team. Rose knew he wanted to get into FO work so he was very fair in how he acted. Zumoff homered it up when things went our way but didn't pull punches when it was our team acting like idiots.

Then Alla Abdumaby came on when Rose left for the Pistons GLeague Asst. GM role. Alla has been OK. He's more homerish, gives ok insight, but mostly feels like he doesn't get to know guys off the air.

Zumoff retired at the start of this season and was replaced by Katie Scott. She's one of 3 woman announcer people out there. She's....ok. She gets a touch too homerish. She at times feels like she's trying to be Zum rather than herself. She's attempted to use a few of his catch phrases but fails at it.

That said, I wish more guys used these sayings:
    Turning garbage into gold :: Basket off an offensive rebound
    Floorboard :: Rebound off a bounce
    Hold on, we're coming in for a landing :: A close game is drawing to a close
    Dips in and strokes two :: Pull up from deep 2 off a fake outside the arc
    On the see-saw :: 1 point leads that keep getting traded
    Locking all windows and doors :: forcing a shot clock violation
    In no particular hurry :: Leading team starts using all of the clock
    Compliments of {player} :: assisted by
    {Player} is hauling in all the mail! :: Player is on a scoring run for the team
    Timely deuce :: a bucket that could effect momentum
    Shot clock is unplugged :: likely final possession of quarter
    Amoungst the trees :: guard scoring in the paint on a bigger player
    Right down Broad Street :: clear path to the basket
    Unfinished business :: missed layup or dunk
    Thinking three... :: A non-shooter takes a 3 or an ill advised 3 is attempted
    And he buries it (sad) :: opposing team hit the game winning bucket
    Healthy three :: a deeeeeeep 3
    Five and change remaining :: halfway point of the quarter
    Fighting the good fight :: high effort contested rebound
    Glenn Rivers :: Doc Rivers

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZNC View Post
    Perkins is an absolute joke. How that guy has a job is beyond me. He wasn't good in his playing days, he isn't entertaining or funny, isn't articulate....but he says "carry the hell on" and "at the end of the day" a lot so I guess that's good enough to be an employee at ESPN.
    Gets public engagement.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Gets public engagement.
    Does he? I never watch anything but live events on ESPN. A lot of old dudes like me are that way. Maybe better content could drive ratings

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast