Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Yankees @ Rays May 26- 29

AL East rivals will begin a crucial four-game series on Thursday night at Tropicana Field with the New York Yankees taking on the Tampa Bay Rays. New York has the best record in baseball at 31-13 after taking two of three from the Baltimore Orioles including a 2-0 victory on Wednesday to hit as a -193 favorite. Tampa Bay swept the Miami Marlins in two games capped off by a 5-4 victory on Wednesdays they are now 4.5 games out of the division lead at 26-17.

This is the first meeting of the year between the AL contenders after Tampa Bay won the 2021 season series 11-8.
    The Yankees had to battle against the pesky Orioles in a three-game set to start this week, but were able to take Wednesday's rubber match thanks to a strong outing from rookie starter JP Sears. Miguel Andujar provided the offense in the fourth inning with an RBI single, and the Yankees were able to plate another run later in the frame on a Baltimore error.

Sears tossed five scoreless innings, allowing just three hits and two walks while striking out five. Clay Holmes locked down his fifth save despite giving up two hits in one inning of work. Andujar had a multi-hit game, while Aaron Judge doubled and scored.

New York is enjoying a strong offense this season with 4.79 runs per game to rank sixth in baseball while posting a .741 team OPS. The Yankees have been even stronger on the pitching side with a 3.07 ERA that is third-best in the league, including a mark of 3.17 from a strong bullpen.

Judge is among the early season MVP candidates with a .314/.386/.692 line, MLB-high 17 homers, 34 RBI and 35 runs scored. Anthony Rizzo has also provided some great pop with an .867 OPS, 11 homers and 26 RBI.

Nester Cortes will get the ball for the ninth time this season, hoping to continue what's been a Cy Young worthy campaign so far as he's 3-1 with a 1.80 ERA and 56:11 K:BB ratio across 45 innings. The 27-year-old had a rare shaky outing last Saturday against the Chicago White Sox but still picked up the win, allowing three runs on six hits while striking out seven in five innings.

New York got some bad injury news this week, as slugger Giancarlo Stanton (.862 OPS, 11 homers, 35 RBI) went down with ankle inflammation. Third baseman Josh Donaldson is also out of the lineup with flu-like symptoms, while catcher Ben Rortvedt (knee surgery) and outfielder Tim Locastro (strained lat) are also on the IL. Starting pitcher Domingo German will miss most of the season with a shoulder impingement. Closer Arolids Chapman suffered Achillies tendinitis this week as well, joining relievers Zack Britton (Tommy John surgery), Chad Green (Tommy John surgery), Jonathan Loaisiga (shoulder inflammation) and Stephen Ridings (shoulder impingement) on the IL.

Thu, May 26 • 6:40 PM EDT
    At Tropicana Field

Nestor Cortes
    LHP
    3-1, 1.80 ERA, 56 SO

Cortes pitched five innings, allowing three runs on six hits and striking out seven while walking none in New York’s 7-5 win against the White Sox on Saturday.

All of the damage against Cortes came on a 3-run home run by Jose Abreu in the 3rd inning. The lefty was sharp otherwise, but the five innings were his fewest completed since May 4 against Toronto in his only loss of the season. Cortes improves to 3-1 but his ERA rose to 1.80 and out of the MLB lead.

Ryan Yarbrough
    LHP
    0-0, 4.20 ERA, 12 SO

Fri, May 27 • 7:10 PM EDT

Jameson Taillon
    RHP
    4-1, 2.95 ERA, 34 SO

Jameson Taillon pitched seven innings, allowing one run on five hits and one walk, while striking out seven in New York's 3-1 loss the White Sox in Game 1 of Sunday's double header.

Jameson Taillon was actually in line for the loss despite allowing only one run in seven innings before Judge's 8th inning home got him off the hook. The seven innings and seven strikeouts were both season highs for the 30-year old who sits at 4-1 with a 2.95 ERA through his first eight starts.

Jeffrey Springs
    LHP
    2-1, 1.32 ERA, 27 SO

Sat, May 28 • 4:10 PM EDT

Gerrit Cole
    RHP
    4-1, 3.31 ERA, 62 SO

Gerrit Cole pitched eight innings, allowing five runs on seven hits while striking out 11 and walking none in New York's 6-4 loss to Baltimore on Monday.

Gerrit Cole had been on a roll since his career low 1 2/3 inning performance on April 19 before dropping his first decision of the year on Monday. Despite the five runs, Cole struck out 11 and walked none while eating eight innings for Aaron Boone so this was just one of those games. Cole is 4-1 with a 3.31 ERA and 1.05 WHIP with 62 strikeouts in 51 2/3 innings across nine starts.

Corey Kluber
    RHP
    1-2, 4.42 ERA, 37 SO

Sun, May 29 • 1:40 PM EDT

Luis Severino
    RHP
    3-0, 3.02 ERA, 43 SO

Luis Severino pitched seven innings, scattering eight hits to allow no runs, while striking out five and walking none in New York's 5-0 loss the White Sox in Game 2 of Sunday's double header.

The final score buries the lede but Severino's best start so far this season was squandered by a bullpen (Loaisiga 4, Castro 1) that gave up all five runs in the 8th inning. Severino matched Chicago's flamethrower Michael Kopech's seven scoreless innings before the wheels fell off for everyone not named Severino in Sunday's Game 2. Seve is 3-0 with a 3.02 ERA and 43 strikeouts in 41 1/3 innings across his first eight starts of 2022.

Shane McClanahan
    LHP
    4-2, 2.06 ERA, 74 SO
    Last edited by drt1010; 05-26-2022 at 11:33 AM.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    This series makes or breaks the Yankees season. If the Yankees don't sweep, season is over.

Oh. Sorry. I dreamt I was in Vegas.

This should be a telling series. Great pitching matchups. Gallo and Hicks need to do something in this series. They have to give Judge some protection.

Ignorance is bliss

Boone encouraged that Stanton's issue is only a sore "ankle" and not achilles. I would agree with that.

Lasagna is still a concern as is Chapman.

Is there any info on Britton? He could be getting close to a return. I'm not saying he'd be a savior but if he's 90% of what he was? It would be a solid addition
    Last edited by Kinkotheclown; 05-26-2022 at 07:26 AM.

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Boone encouraged that Stanton's issue is only a sore "ankle" and not achilles. I would agree with that.

Lasagna is still a concern as is Chapman.

Is there any info on Britton? He could be getting close to a return. I'm not saying he'd be a savior but if he's 90% of what he was? It would be a solid addition
    No info on Britton. His surgery was Sept. 2021, given the usual 12-18 month recovery I don't expect the Yankees planning on any significant contribution any time soon. Maybe Sept at the earliest?

However, he has been throwing on flat ground since February and is reportedly doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    No info on Britton. His surgery was Sept. 2021, given the usual 12-18 month recovery I don't expect the Yankees planning on any significant contribution any time soon. Maybe Sept at the earliest?

However, he has been throwing on flat ground since February and is reportedly doing well.
    Thanks Doc. I actually think we will see him this year.

Ignorance is bliss

This series makes or breaks the Yankees season. If the Yankees don't sweep, season is over.

Oh. Sorry. I dreamt I was in Vegas.

This should be a telling series. Great pitching matchups. Gallo and Hicks need to do something in this series. They have to give Judge some protection.
    Without Stanton an even bigger concern.

Thanks Doc. I actually think we will see him this year.
    Over at yankees.com, they report he'll be back "Aug.-Sept."

Quote Originally Posted by Stevemil505 View Post
    Over at yankees.com, they report he'll be back "Aug.-Sept."

If he can come back around then, he could be a huge help in the playoffs.
    Slowly shake off the rust for a month or so and then be full speed for the October

Ignorance is bliss

If he can come back around then, he could be a huge help in the playoffs.
    Slowly shake off the rust for a month or so and then be full speed for the October
    Not exactly saying much, but I'd rather have Brit in a big spot than Chapman

at first i felt the yanks had to win this series.. but given all the injuries i will be happy with a split...

After Donaldson’s apology I hope he just starts calling Anderson, “jerkie or jerkoff” instead of Jackie

Ignorance is bliss

New York Yankees
    @Yankees

Following tonight’s game, the Yankees optioned OF Estevan Florial and LHP JP Sears to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

This is gonna be a statement series for my boy Miggy. This is the series when he solidifies his place in the show.

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    New York Yankees
    @Yankees

Following tonight’s game, the Yankees optioned OF Estevan Florial and LHP JP Sears to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
    How about we all chip in for really nice one month vacations for the Hicks and Gallo families and give Flo and Miggy a real chance to show what they can do?

Quote Originally Posted by PJO34 View Post
    How about we all chip in for really nice one month vacations for the Hicks and Gallo families and give Flo and Miggy a real chance to show what they can do?
    I'd happily donate to that cause... Someone start a go fund me page, lol

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast