Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 161
  1. #136
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    47,313
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    Racism is racism. Just because one person says it is, doesnít make it so.

    Maybe someone canít take a joke, or is too stupid to understand the joke, and decides to blow it up into something itís not. And then everyone is so afraid of talking about it logically, that they just default to it being offensive, because itís the safe thing to do
    Sure but the opposite of that logic applies as well. Just because someone says its not racism, doesn't mean it isn't.

    Maybe he overreacted or maybe its more than that. Again, we don't know the extent of their relationship, nor do we know how it was intended. Cone, Maybin and Boone all work for the Yankees or YES in some capacity and none of them appreciated that comment either.

  2. #137
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    20,159
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Sure but the opposite of that logic applies as well. Just because someone says its not racism, doesn't mean it isn't.

    Maybe he overreacted or maybe its more than that. Again, we don't know the extent of their relationship, nor do we know how it was intended. Cone, Maybin and Boone all work for the Yankees or YES in some capacity and none of them appreciated that comment either.
    It seems thatís what was said. So Iíll go ahead and continue to see it how I do. I donít see any other way to take it. Press all going one way means nothing. No one wants that smoke, if they say anything other than the ultra-safe answer, they are fired

    I guess we will agree to disagree

  3. #138
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Cold Spring, NY
    Posts
    6,429
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny ny View Post
    best team in baseball the dodgers they do not have the flaws this yankee team has a now shaky pen 4 dead spots in the lineup... i should have known better to fall for this crap..

    Well you are free to leave if you don't like the crap of being in first place with the best record in baseball. Bad games are going to happen. Obviously you do not deal well with that.
    The REAL DEAL Yankee fan

  4. #139
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    47,313
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    It seems thatís what was said. So Iíll go ahead and continue to see it how I do. I donít see any other way to take it. Press all going one way means nothing. No one wants that smoke, if they say anything other than the ultra-safe answer, they are fired

    I guess we will agree to disagree
    I don't know. I mean to me if those people wanted to come out in support of JD, they could have or for that matter offered a carefully worded non answer. They didn't.

    But we're not disagreeing on much. I already said that I think Tim put himself in a bad spot with that comparison and that JD is just an instigating ********. That said, I don't agree at all with Phoba's post. Racism is not always as overt or definitive as people think it is.

  5. #140
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey/Delaware/PA
    Posts
    3,010
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I don't know. I mean to me if those people wanted to come out in support of JD, they could have or for that matter offered a carefully worded non answer. They didn't.

    But we're not disagreeing on much. I already said that I think Tim put himself in a bad spot with that comparison and that JD is just an instigating ********. That said, I don't agree at all with Phoba's post. Racism is not always as overt or definitive as people think it is.
    It either meets the definition of racism or it doesn't. We have been given the story by both sides. Tim Anderson says it's racist because he says so. Josh Donaldson says it's not because he is only calling Anderson Jackie because Anderson called himself that, and they have joked about it many times before. Anderson has provided no explanation for why this is racist, and Donaldson provided a very explicit explanation for why it is not. Yet some still believe it's racist. Until Anderson can provide some proof as to intent, you don't get to assume something is racist. In this case, there is no proof that it is. Innocent until proven guilty. Until there is proof that there is racist intent, it is not racist. Simple as that, especially when the accuser refuses to provide any evidence that it is racism and the accused provides all the evidence that it is not. Saying something does not meet the definition of racism is not vague, what you are saying is vague and wishy washy. This situation is not vague, it's very easy to determine intent. Donaldson told us! If his story was inaccurate, Anderson would have corrected him by now.

  6. #141
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    47,313
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoba Rama View Post
    It either meets the definition of racism or it doesn't. We have been given the story by both sides. Tim Anderson says it's racist because he says so. Josh Donaldson says it's not because he is only calling Anderson Jackie because Anderson called himself that, and they have joked about it many times before. Anderson has provided no explanation for why this is racist, and Donaldson provided a very explicit explanation for why it is not. Yet some still believe it's racist. Until Anderson can provide some proof as to intent, you don't get to assume something is racist. In this case, there is no proof that it is. Innocent until proven guilty. Until there is proof that there is racist intent, it is not racist. Simple as that, especially when the accuser refuses to provide any evidence that it is racism and the accused provides all the evidence that it is not. Saying something does not meet the definition of racism is not vague, what you are saying is vague and wishy washy. This situation is not vague, it's very easy to determine intent. Donaldson told us! If his story was inaccurate, Anderson would have corrected him by now.
    Again, you don't know Josh Donaldson's intent. No one does besides he and he alone. So yeah maybe he was just being a dick bag or maybe he knew how to pull certain color related strings without using something more overt. Either way, your point about something fitting the definition of racism is completely arbitrary. There are plenty of calculated people in this world who know how to toe that line without showing their hands too obviously.
    Last edited by metswon69; 05-23-2022 at 11:48 AM.

  7. #142
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    43,332
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Sure but the opposite of that logic applies as well. Just because someone says its not racism, doesn't mean it isn't.

    Maybe he overreacted or maybe its more than that. Again, we don't know the extent of their relationship, nor do we know how it was intended. Cone, Maybin and Boone all work for the Yankees or YES in some capacity and none of them appreciated that comment either.
    My question about Cone, Boone and Maybin is simple. Are they saying that because it's the expected and PC thing to say or because they really believe it? We don't know. I would imagine that the Yankees PR dept wanted a strong stance against that comment to distance themself from any more negative feedback.

    Your points are valid. I think the evolution of these concepts and languages are moving so quickly, it's tough to know what is safe to say and what isn't



    Ignorance is bliss

  8. #143
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    16,626
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    That's a tough question because people change their minds about things. What might not have offended Anderson 3 years ago, might now. If that is the case, he should have told Donaldson to knock it the **** off.

    I agree with your point though. I do think JD is just an instigator and that LaRussa opened a can of worms by saying it was a racist statement.
    Again you are correct and I agree.

    It's possible there are other reasons it now bothers him and has become an issue. I still have difficulty grasping the racist element. Imo, I think Anderson no longer wanted to be reminded of what an asinine statement it was from the outset. Took him several years to realize.

  9. #144
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    43,332
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Again, you don't know Josh Donaldson's intent. No one does besides he and he alone. So yeah maybe he was just being a dick bag or maybe he was being a racist twat. Either way, your point about something fitting the definition of racism is completely arbitrary. There are plenty of people calculating enough in this world who are racists without showing their hands too obviously.
    I love the way JD plays the game. I would not be one bit shocked if he would go that route. As I have said, what we have heard from both parties? I don't think it is racist.

    Here's a whole new rub. If intent could be proven, could it be treated the same way Bauer is being treated?
    Could the Yankees blow this into something bigger and use it to cut him without pay?



    Ignorance is bliss

  10. #145
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    47,313
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I love the way JD plays the game. I would not be one bit shocked if he would go that route. As I have said, what we have heard from both parties? I don't think it is racist.

    Here's a whole new rub. If intent could be proven, could it be treated the same way Bauer is being treated?
    Could the Yankees blow this into something bigger and use it to cut him without pay?
    I don't think it is either. He's one of those guys you like having on your team but hate playing against. Dude is a competitor.

    I could see MLB giving Donaldson a fine because of how public it went but I seriously doubt he is suspended.

  11. #146
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,506
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    This is not remotely true. Intent is not easy to determine. We think we can determine intent because we tend to give people we support the benefit of the doubt. On the other hand, we tend to demonize those who we're not so quickly to give that same benefit. Just because most people believe Donaldson's intent wasn't racist doesn't mean it wasn't.

    I don't know what meeting the definition of racism is either. That's a very vague statement because you may not meet that textbook definition and yet the intent of the person perpetuating it can still be there. Not all racism is presented with an ethnic or racial slur. Sometimes its presented with a joke and a smile.

    True. That's why the burden of proof is always on the person making the claim. You must prove why someone calling you Jackie is racist. Why did Anderson think so? They asked him after the game. He said he felt disrespected, that's it. Nothing about racism. He couldn't even articulate why he felt disrespected much less racially discriminated against. He barely even looked at the cameras. There wasn't even any conviction behind his words as he was saying them. These are the telltale signs of someone who is lying.

  12. #147
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    1,561
    Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    Yanks canít ever have a healthy bullie.


    Green gone with TJ
    Britton still out.
    Now Chapman and the Achilles?


    Bullie has been weakened, JLo is not the same pitcher as last season.

    Either go in-house with some fresh bullie arms or going to have to make a trade for a true closer who is a rental if not going to be losing games with the bullieÖ..
    Holmes should be our closer.

  13. #148
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    1,561
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I don't think it is either. He's one of those guys you like having on your team but hate playing against. Dude is a competitor.

    I could see MLB giving Donaldson a fine because of how public it went but I seriously doubt he is suspended.
    JD should be fined. I recommend the amount of the fine to be exactly 2 cents!

  14. #149
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    20,159
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    True. That's why the burden of proof is always on the person making the claim. You must prove why someone calling you Jackie is racist. Why did Anderson think so? They asked him after the game. He said he felt disrespected, that's it. Nothing about racism. He couldn't even articulate why he felt disrespected much less racially discriminated against. He barely even looked at the cameras. There wasn't even any conviction behind his words as he was saying them. These are the telltale signs of someone who is lying.
    Comes off more like butthurt. And now it became a big deal, so it canít be walked back

  15. #150
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    43,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevemil505 View Post
    JD should be fined. I recommend the amount of the fine to be exactly 2 cents!



    Ignorance is bliss

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •