Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would Ya ?

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Yes. Best use of spects isn't always on the field. Do the deal and don't look back. Bird in hand. Soto is MLB proven.

PS. The reality....they need a catcher not an OFer.
    They have two very weak links in the OF. They could use both.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLES3658 View Post
    They have two very weak links in the OF. They could use both.
    True, however imo C is the more pressing need and needs more immediate attention. Hicks sucks at the moment, I don't feel Gallo is a complete negative. He provides good D and has shown some signs of heating up. He will always be a high K% hitter. From 2017 - 2021 in Texas he accumulated 14.6 WAR and averaged 2.9 per. What happened upon his arrival in NYC? IDK Is it possible his skin is too thin? Maybe his psyche' isn't well suited for the bright lights and scrutiny?

I won't deny he was a poor fit from the outset. Kill Cashman for that decision not Gallo. He's here now, I will support him as long as he wears the pinstripes. I hope for the best, but expect to be disappointed far too often.
    Last edited by drt1010; 05-19-2022 at 02:11 PM.

Funny bc I'm perfectly happy with Trevino as the regular catcher bc our pitching has been so good. If they left him as the only bad lineup spot, while upgrading Hicks or Gallo or both, I'd be thrilled.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    True, however imo C is the more pressing need and needs more immediate attention. Hicks sucks at the moment, I don't feel Gallo is a complete negative. He provides good D and has shown some signs of heating up. He will always be a high K% hitter. From 2017 - 2021 in Texas he accumulated 14.6 WAR and averaged 2.9 per. What happened upon his arrival in NYC? IDK Is it possible his skin is too thin? Maybe his psyche' isn't well suited for the bright lights and scrutiny?

I won't deny he was a poor fit from the outset. Kill Cashman for that decision not Gallo. He's here now, I will support him as long as he wears the pinstripes. I hope for the best, but expect to be disappointed far too often.
    Doc, I will respectfully disagree. I would much rather have Benintendi than Gallo or hicks and roll with Trevino and Higgy as catchers.
    I think at this point, while I agree that Gallo is excellent defensively, he's atrocious to watch hit. He may have statical value in the sense of OPS and other advanced stats but I find him sickening to watch and would trade him for literally anything at this point. I don't like that kind of offensive player one bit.

Trevino is smart and quite solid behind the plate. If I am going to live with a defense first type player, it is catcher over LF and CF all day every day.

Ignorance is bliss

sure benintendo will hit for average but he has 2 home runs that is 1 more then part time non hit catcher trevino..gallo wont hit for average but he will hit much more home runs and is a threat to hit them.. plus gallo great arm in left is very valuable we have seen how important defense has been to the yanks this year!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Doc, I will respectfully disagree. I would much rather have Benintendi than Gallo or hicks and roll with Trevino and Higgy as catchers.
    I think at this point, while I agree that Gallo is excellent defensively, he's atrocious to watch hit. He may have statical value in the sense of OPS and other advanced stats but I find him sickening to watch and would trade him for literally anything at this point. I don't like that kind of offensive player one bit.

Trevino is smart and quite solid behind the plate. If I am going to live with a defense first type player, it is catcher over LF and CF all day every day.
    Fair enough, as you know I have always respected you and your opinion. We will simply agree to disagree.

However I do find it a bit ironic, what you hate about Gallo, his offense, is exactly what you admire in Trevino. Imo he's a solid defensive C but can't hit for ****. At least Gallo has power to go along with a very good glove, a cannon for an arm, he has a very good eye, works the count and makes pitchers work. Can we say that about Trevino?

But you have a point, if it's defense first better to have a solid C. Personally at this level they should all be solid defenders. Yankees have a history of very good hitting C, going back to Dickey, Yogi, Thurman, Elston, Posada, ect. Just as you may not appreciate Gallo's style of hitting, I prefer a C that can hit his weight.

What I appreciate about Gallo is his hustle. He goes all out all the time, that includes at the plate. He doesn't get cheated. His approach is simple ( a bit like Reggie, Texeirra, Giambi et al) he wants to hit the ball hard as possible. He doesn't seem to care about his BA.

Your point is well taken even if I may not agree 100%.

PS. I also realize my opinion is in the minority.
    Last edited by drt1010; 05-19-2022 at 06:48 PM.

Fair enough, as you know I have always respected you and your opinion. We will simply agree to disagree.

However I do find it a bit ironic, what you hate about Gallo, his offense, is exactly what you admire in Trevino. Imo he's a solid defensive C but can't hit for ****. At least Gallo has power to go along with a very good glove, a cannon for an arm, he has a very good eye, works the count and makes pitchers work. Can we say that about Trevino?

But you have a point, if it's defense first better to have a solid C. Personally at this level they should all be solid defenders. Yankees have a history of very good hitting C, going back to Dickey, Yogi, Thurman, Elston, Posada, ect. Just as you may not appreciate Gallo's style of hitting, I prefer a C that can hit his weight.

What I appreciate about Gallo is his hustle. He goes all out all the time, that includes at the plate. He doesn't get cheated. His approach is simple ( a bit like Reggie, Texeirra, Giambi et al) he wants to hit the ball hard as possible. He doesn't seem to care about his BA.

It's not easy these days to find catchers that are good defensive and can hit well.

I don't think they contend with all 3 of Hicks, Gallo and the C position.

Asking a pitching staff to learn how to work with a new C mid season is a much bigger ask than finding a new OFer.

Benintendi is also a GG OFer, so I don't think that's as big of an ask

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Buster Olney is reporting that the Nat appear willing to listen and maybe even motivated to trade Soto

Nestor is probably our most valuable trade chip with his age, length of control and cost.

Nestor, Volpe, Wells, Dom, Gil and Schmidt for Soto. Would ya?
    I think you could get him cheaper than that.
    My favorite Top 10 Rolling Stones songs
    1. Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo ( Heartbreaker)
    2. Gimme Shelter
    3. Miss You
    4. Angie
    5. Sympathy for the Devil
    6. Anybody seen my Baby
    7. Paint it Black
    8. Rock and a Hard Place
    9. (I canít get no) Satisfaction
    10. Undercover of the Night

Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    I think you could get him cheaper than that.
    Today's USA Today article on potential trade for Soto had the following:

New York Yankees trade: Anthony Volpe, Oswald Peraza, Jasson Dominguez, Everson Pereira, Gleyber Torres, Ken Waldichuk, Michael King

Washington Nationals trade: Juan Soto

So, the Buster Olney trade is lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    Today's USA Today article on potential trade for Soto had the following:

New York Yankees trade: Anthony Volpe, Oswald Peraza, Jasson Dominguez, Everson Pereira, Gleyber Torres, Ken Waldichuk, Michael King

Washington Nationals trade: Juan Soto

So, the Buster Olney trade is lighter.

I saw that.
    I have a feeling that written just looked at the top 5 specs and Torres and not as much knowledge as Olney I highly doubt that trade happens. Yankees won't part with both Volpe and Peraza.
    I could certainly see King, Schmidt, Volpe or Peraza, Dom or Pereira, then guys like Wells, Sweeney, Garcia... To fill in

Ignorance is bliss

I wouldn't say ironic. It may sound' hypocritical but I don't think ti is.
    I value the catcher's defense over hitting by a much bigger. margin than I do LF
    As I have said, if Gallo was 225/350/800+ and dropped his K rate to under 40%, and hit 30+? I still wouldn't love it but I could easily live with it. That is a worthwhile player in LF. Excellent D and those numbers as a bottom of the order guy would be legit and I think it would fit the team.
    What is crazy is that I am saying a 225 avg would be ok.

(I have said that I would live with Florial at similar numbers because of his D but Flo has an entire different level of speed and is a bigger threat on the bases, which I find far more entertaining. So I am changing out that running for Gallo's HR production. )

I love how Gallo plays. I love the hustle. I love the all out effort.
    I despise the refusal to try something new. I can't stand guys who talk about not being able to do something because it isn't who they are. I call BS. I know there is an element of truth but as Johnny commented, if Gallo bunted to t Hird, he'd have a double.
    If Gallo was truly all out, he would go all out to change a little to be a better all around hitter.

Reggie is an interesting comparison. But Reggie had a career 260/356/846 line and he only K'd around 25% of the time. Even if you adjust those numbers for better pitching, he's still likely a 240/335/800 and Ks at a 33% rate.

Kingman is a better comp for Gallo. So much so, that even Gallo mentioned him.

I would love to see him turn it around because I absolutely loves the desire and fire with which he plays.
    If he's here all year, ok. But I pray they don't resign him no matter how good his year ends up being.

Ignorance is bliss

I saw that.
    I have a feeling that written just looked at the top 5 specs and Torres and not as much knowledge as Olney I highly doubt that trade happens. Yankees won't part with both Volpe and Peraza.
    I could certainly see King, Schmidt, Volpe or Peraza, Dom or Pereira, then guys like Wells, Sweeney, Garcia... To fill in
    Yeah that was my thought also, guy just looked at our top specs and made a guess

I think any trade for Soto starts with Volpe, Wells 1 of Dom, Pereria or possibly Flo and then some combo of pitching.

Soto is the one guy in BB you give up the moon and stars for, IMO

I was told the Yanks, Jays, Padres and possibly SF are seen as the favorites with the players and money to get something like that done.

I also was told that if they feel like that can't get true value for Soto, they may ask for one of Strasburg or Corbin be included with them eating a little of the money

I wouldn't say ironic. It may sound' hypocritical but I don't think ti is.
    I value the catcher's defense over hitting by a much bigger. margin than I do LF
    As I have said, if Gallo was 225/350/800+ and dropped his K rate to under 40%, and hit 30+? I still wouldn't love it but I could easily live with it. That is a worthwhile player in LF. Excellent D and those numbers as a bottom of the order guy would be legit and I think it would fit the team.
    What is crazy is that I am saying a 225 avg would be ok.

(I have said that I would live with Florial at similar numbers because of his D but Flo has an entire different level of speed and is a bigger threat on the bases, which I find far more entertaining. So I am changing out that running for Gallo's HR production. )

I love how Gallo plays. I love the hustle. I love the all out effort.
    I despise the refusal to try something new. I can't stand guys who talk about not being able to do something because it isn't who they are. I call BS. I know there is an element of truth but as Johnny commented, if Gallo bunted to t Hird, he'd have a double.
    If Gallo was truly all out, he would go all out to change a little to be a better all around hitter.

Reggie is an interesting comparison. But Reggie had a career 260/356/846 line and he only K'd around 25% of the time. Even if you adjust those numbers for better pitching, he's still likely a 240/335/800 and Ks at a 33% rate.

Kingman is a better comp for Gallo. So much so, that even Gallo mentioned him.

I would love to see him turn it around because I absolutely loves the desire and fire with which he plays.
    If he's here all year, ok. But I pray they don't resign him no matter how good his year ends up being.

Gallo is more of a poor man's Chris Davis.

Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    Perfect comp imo

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    Yikes, a poor man's Chris Davis is a frightening comp. But at least CD left with 160mil

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast