Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    Unless I misremember, the Yankees were 92-29 before Torre started resting players. We'll never know what their record would be, if they pressed, instead of coasted. However, there's the possibility that they could have burned out and not won the World Series.
    They were 92-30 and their high water mark was 66 games over on game 162.

And the 2001 Seattle Mariners were even better than the 1998 Yankees, regular season that is. Seattle went 116-46.

They also were 27-9 after 36.

But, Seattle had to play the Dynasty Yankees in the Playoffs…..

The Yankees Dynasty(96-01)were on their last legs but had more than enough to power through the 116 Mariners in 2001 in the ALCS by winning 4-1..

All I thought was 1995 all over again. The media never gave the 01 Yanks a chance vs Lou’s 116 Mariners. They all pointed to the 1995 postseon when Seattle ripped that one away from Buck Showalter.. But it was payback time.
    Last edited by rrzubnyy; 05-18-2022 at 06:36 AM.
    My favorite Top 10 Rolling Stones songs
    1. Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo ( Heartbreaker)
    2. Gimme Shelter
    3. Miss You
    4. Angie
    5. Sympathy for the Devil
    6. Anybody seen my Baby
    7. Paint it Black
    8. Rock and a Hard Place
    9. (I can’t get no) Satisfaction
    10. Undercover of the Night

Quote Originally Posted by Stevemil505 View Post
    I, for one, am ready to give Clay Holmes a shot at closing and move Chapman to try setting up in the 8th.
    You can’t rip it away when he is 9/9 is opportunities. And you got remember, teams that play .700 ball will not have full and complete meltdowns in the 9th. Sure he will blow some but I’m telling you he will get through most of his opportunities. In 2021 last night would have been a loss. A dunk hit would have happened and not a pop up foul out like last night on the 3rd out. He will get breaks…..you keep riding that horse until it is broken down. $24 million to close, you gotta use it.

Next season King and $900,000 will be the closer and we can put the $24 million per elsewhere.
    2. Gimme Shelter
    3. Miss You
    4. Angie
    6. Anybody seen my Baby
    7. Paint it Black
    8. Rock and a Hard Place

Quote Originally Posted by Stevemil505 View Post
    I, for one, am ready to give Clay Holmes a shot at closing and move Chapman to try setting up in the 8th.
    Not sure if Holmes is the heir apparent, but Chapman has NEVER instilled the confidence in me one expects from a closer, guess I have been spoiled by Mo's excellence.

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Not sure if Holmes is the heir apparent, but Chapman has NEVER instilled the confidence in me one expects from a closer, guess I have been spoiled by Mo's excellence.
    Agreed. Outside of his dominant stretches, always a “put your seatbelt on” type

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Absolutely, but like you said we were spoiled with Mo,,and to some extent Sparky Lyle.
    To be honest Goose never instilled confidence in me when he came in

Quote Originally Posted by johnny ny View Post
    boone sticking with chapman what a terrible loss this will be

What a great win it was. LMAO
    The REAL DEAL Yankee fan

Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    You can’t rip it away when he is 9/9 is opportunities. And you got remember, teams that play .700 ball will not have full and complete meltdowns in the 9th. Sure he will blow some but I’m telling you he will get through most of his opportunities. In 2021 last night would have been a loss. A dunk hit would have happened and not a pop up foul out like last night on the 3rd out. He will get breaks…..you keep riding that horse until it is broken down. $24 million to close, you gotta use it.

Next season King and $900,000 will be the closer and we can put the $24 million per elsewhere.
    the last 2 yankee post seasons ended with chapman giving up the game leading and winning home run do you want 3 post seasons in a row?

chapman is no longer the 100 mph consistent pitcher he use to be. his fastball is consistently lower plus he cannot even throw it for strikes anymore.. so that is why he throws curve balls and sliders and when his slider hangs like it did a few times last night it gets hit..

loaisiga was the heir apparent but he has struggled early on this year.. hopefully eh will get back to his dominant self he was last year.. chapman and green cannot be on the mound if the yankee season is on the line in the post season..

the last 2 yankee post seasons ended with chapman giving up the game leading and winning home run do you want 3 post seasons in a row?
    The difference is those team are not like the 2022 Yankees. Different team, yes same closer but things will break different for Chapman on a team like this. He will get a pop up instead of the meatball pitch to Altuve that smacked for a HR.
    2. Gimme Shelter
    3. Miss You
    4. Angie
    6. Anybody seen my Baby
    7. Paint it Black
    8. Rock and a Hard Place

yankees are playing great ball for a few reasons.. excellent starting and relief pitching..the bats especially judge stanton dj even gleyber.. plus the defense is much improved without gary and ikf at ss.. another reason that might be overlooked is how healthy the yankees have been.. i cannot recall the last time the yankees were this healthy 6 weeks into the season..

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Chris Carter was a bad 1st baseman. Gallo is a GG OF that can play 1st. 2 completely different players
    Surely, an AL team could use 41 home runs from a DH, wouldn't you agree?

As for Gallo, remember what we gave up for him? No team was willing to do better even though a 27 year old Gallo was probably having the second best first half of his career, was an all star, a GG and making relatively nothing in baseball dollars and still had 2 years of control left. GMs simply don't want a guy who bats .180-200. If Gallo continues on his current pace no team is going to want him.

loaisiga was the heir apparent but he has struggled early on this year.. hopefully eh will get back to his dominant self he was last year.. chapman and green cannot be on the mound if the yankee season is on the line in the post season..
    Completely agree. When the Yankees gave Chapman his contract there were only a handful of player throwing nearly as hard as him, if any. It made sense. Tim Anderson said it best... "no one is afraid of his fastball anymore." It may not feel good to hear that but it's reality. Too many other guys throw that fast now, and with better movement and/or location. Its a tough decision for the Yankees to take him out of that role but it's the right one. Chad Green should not pitch in any situation where the game is on the line in any important game. Simple as that. The guy is a meltdown factory and the statistics prove what we as the fans are seeing with him.

Loaisiga is a great example of why there is now no reason to spend big money on free agent relievers. With Matt Blake around now, the Yankees bullpen and pitching staff will continue to be top notch even if they don't pay for it. This is great because it will save them a lot of money which hopefully they will pump into the lineup or an ace to complement Cole.

Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post

As for Gallo, remember what we gave up for him? No team was willing to do better even though a 27 year old Gallo was probably having the second best first half of his career, was an all star, a GG and making relatively nothing in baseball dollars and still had 2 years of control left. GMs simply don't want a guy who bats .180-200. If Gallo continues on his current pace no team is going to want him.
    The Yankees gave up some solid guys for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post

Carter had zero defensive value and he never looked like they guy he was when he hit 41 hrs again. He lost his job because his offense lost all its value

Gallo doesn't look that different from the player he was in Texas and with the shift being banned next yr someone will think that will change his avg some. I just don't think he'll have trouble finding a job next yr, I guess we'll see
    Last edited by dayners81; 05-18-2022 at 04:27 PM.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast